Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 PM

34 posts, read 156,040 times

Advertisements

Hi I am researching Prescott as a place to move to (from Duluth, Minnesota-- in case anybody has questions on MN) in a couple of years, high on my top five list. Can some of you familiar with or living in Prescott advise me on what part of town is the most dangerous?

I would like to do some virtual touring of Prescott using Google maps (street level views), and come visit Prescott this autumn. But I would like to get some preliminary idea on what part(s) of Prescott to avoid for walking the streets when I visit, or when looking at homes and home prices. I have found that for most cities 90% of the crime happens in 10% of the city. I want to learn what that 10% area of Prescott is to avoid for potential house hunting (my budget is around $150k-$250k, no more). Any help with identifying such areas of Prescott is greatly appreciated.

Also, if I were to look for a home on the outskirts of Prescott, 5-15 miles out of the city limits, would I be able to get something cheaper, or do homes outside of the city proper tend to me more expensive?

Thank you.
Randall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,324 times
Randall,

Have not found really no bad area's to avoid, Really nice pic of towns to live. Going there whole month of August in my fifth wheel. Would be happy to take some pictures and e-mail then to you.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick mychajlonka View Post
Randall, Have not found really no bad area's to avoid, Really nice pic of towns to live. Going there whole month of August in my fifth wheel. Would be happy to take some pictures and e-mail then to you.
Rick that would be fantastic! I would love to see some pics giving a better show of what the residential part of the town is like. When I Google for images of Prescott you get the usual touristy photos, historic buildings, etc.-- but when it comes down to it one wants to know what are the neighborhoods like? Any pictures welcome, email me or post them here or a link to them so others can benefit.

I can't take cold northern Minnesota any longer, but I have to for two more years then I will take my early retirement from what will be 25 years of teaching. We have SIX months of winter each year here in Duluth, MN and that is just wrong-- 1 of every 2 days is snow and ice, sigh. Prescott appeals to me on a number of levels, but I like that it has some pine trees, some snow but not much and a very minimal winter compared to what I am used to. I like some cold weather, long sleeves, jacket, etc. but I am sick of chopping ice and snowblowing and all that. I need to spend my later years in life somewhere more reasonable like Prescott perhaps. I do not need a job so that part of the Prescott economy will not concern me (I have read here that that is an issue for its economy).

Old 07-14-2010, 10:48 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,916,466 times
Hi Randall, I think your idea of using google maps street view is excellent. You can type most any address and see what the neighborhood looks like from the street.

Regarding crime and what areas to avoid, your best option is probably to call the police department in the jurisdiction that you are insterested in. They should be able to factually tell you which areas have what types of crime and in what amounts. Here are a couple of phone numbers to try:
Yavapai County Sheriff: 928-771-3260
Prescott Police: 928-777-1988
Prescott Valley Police: 928-772-9267
Chino Valley Police: 928-636-4223

I just happened upon the following link from the Prescott Police website. Apparently, you can select Arizona and then Prescott to see crime activity and where it took place. Pretty cool. Here's the link: Crime Mapping - Building Safer Communities!

Your budget will allow you to buy a decent home in all of the Prescott area. You will get a little more house for your money in Prescott Valley or Chino Valley as compared to Prescott, but in Prescott, you would be closer to the historic downtown area.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Wow thank you! That idea to call the police is great, and that crime map will be fantastic; I used that once here in Duluth MN but I did not know Prescott has it too, very informative. I know here in Duluth (lived 25 years) we get an average of maybe 1-2 murders a year, a few robberies, but it all tends to happen within just a few square blocks, the worst part of town. Even vandalism and such tents to be concentrated. I just don't want to waste time shopping for a home in a dangerous part of town, if I can afford it I want to live somewhere relatively safe and without gang banger vandalism.

I have only heard of Chino Valley (Chino?) from that tv show The O.C. where the teen star came from Chino, otherwise I know nothing about Chino. Is is safer in Chino Valley? Cheaper to live there?

Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

1,929 posts, read 5,916,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
Wow thank you! That idea to call the police is great, and that crime map will be fantastic; I used that once here in Duluth MN but I did not know Prescott has it too, very informative. I know here in Duluth (lived 25 years) we get an average of maybe 1-2 murders a year, a few robberies, but it all tends to happen within just a few square blocks, the worst part of town. Even vandalism and such tents to be concentrated. I just don't want to waste time shopping for a home in a dangerous part of town, if I can afford it I want to live somewhere relatively safe and without gang banger vandalism.
In general, the Prescott area is very safe. (Although I'm sure some may beg to differ.) Generally, when murders occur, they are between individuals known to each other. There are very few random acts of violence. Of course you should verify that with the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall999 View Post
I have only heard of Chino Valley (Chino?) from that tv show The O.C. where the teen star came from Chino, otherwise I know nothing about Chino. Is is safer in Chino Valley? Cheaper to live there?
I think the Chino teen was from Chino, California - VERY different from Chino Valley, AZ. Chino Valley is basically rural, ranchland, acreage, with a small retail district lining the the highway through the town (Hwy 89). Chino Valley is about 30 minutes north of downtown Prescott.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM

I thought my city of Duluth MN was safe (getting worse over the years though, bad types coming up from Chicago), but though Duluth is a bit higher population than Prescott, for the past week Duluth shows 250 or so crimes whereas Prescott only shows 25 or so, that is a huge difference, showing Prescott to be much safer than where I currently lived. I would have thought the reverse to be honest, give I live here in cold northern MN and Prescott is nearer to Los Angeles and such.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:48 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,869,040 times
The main issue in Prescott is that it has a very high meth addiction rate. As with many small towns out west, meth has taken over the area. The politicians & realtors really like to downplay it but it is really bad and it is not getting any better.

I have meth heads coming into my place of business on a daily basis looking to use the bathroom or steal something.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
The main issue in Prescott is that it has a very high meth addiction rate. As with many small towns out west, meth has taken over the area. The politicians & realtors really like to downplay it but it is really bad and it is not getting any better. I have meth heads coming into my place of business on a daily basis looking to use the bathroom or steal something.
That and the way the world is going sometimes makes me want to just buy or rent a nice condo apt in a city, a few floors up, just one entrance through the door so it would to me seem more secure, i could take off on a trip and not have to worry about crack heads breaking into my home while I am gone on a trip or out and about.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:24 PM

6 posts, read 32,022 times
Smile Hi Randall!

I currently live in East Mesa, AZ, but recently purchased a beautiful Mobile Home in a 55+ community park, to use as a vacation home, for the time being. I eventually plan on relocating to Prescott to live there full time in the near future.

I really feel you will enjoy living here in Prescott. It has the four seasons to enjoy, lots of hiking trails, scenic driving reads, and several beautiful lakes to go fishing or just paddle boating.

All the people I have met there were friendly, caring and always wanted to help you out in any way they can.

Come one over sometime and visit Prescott! I look forward to meeting you!

Have a wonderful day Randall!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Prescott