Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2024, 09:42 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
As I started to go through this thread, I kept thinking I wonder if anyone is going to mention one particular game, and that I would mention it if it turned out no one else had (and no one has....unless I missed it ).

It's the game that, at the time, was the longest NFL game ever played in game minutes.

It was the 1971 season divisional playoff game, played on Christmas, between the Dolphins and the Chiefs, with the Dolphins winning in two overtimes:

www.nfl.com/100/originals/100-greatest/games-18
Funny, I just found this thread and immediately thought of the same game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2024, 04:50 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
I have to go with the FOG bowl - Eagles/Bears playoff game in 1988....never have seen anything like it.

Old 01-31-2024, 10:34 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I have to go with the FOG bowl - Eagles/Bears playoff game in 1988....never have seen anything like it.
That last 9r win over Detroit is one I'm not soon to forget...

Old 02-01-2024, 12:30 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
This is a great pull. Obviously my most memorable games included my team (Washington) but for games outside of those this one was certainly memorable. I was watching with my best friend, a big Eagles guy. He was going crazy because he couldn't see the ball, we all just laughed.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:43 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The Super Bowl between the San Francisco 49ers and Miami Dolphins. Miami looked unstoppable throughout the season, and Marino broke a lot of NFL records throwing to Clayton and Duper. I had just moved to S.F. from New Orleans. While at some people's house watching the game, I made $600 worth of bets, all on the Dolphins. That was a large amount of money back then.

Miami had a small lead at the end of the 1st quarter and I was feeling pretty good. That didn't last long though. I got to experience first hand the magic of Joe Montana throwing to Roger Craig. Nothing flashy, not a lot of long bombs like Marino, just a relentless march down the field to score w/ a defense led by Hacksaw Reynolds that stymied Miami all night long. Plus, their coach wore a belt, LOL.

The one good thing about that night was when we headed to the Mission for an impromptu parade that was crazier than any New Orleans Mardi Gras I ever saw. People were dragging stuffed Dolphins w/ chains from their cars, air horns blaring, it was a really wild scene. I think the tickets for that Super Bowl averaged around $50.

Last edited by stephenMM; 02-01-2024 at 09:01 PM..

Old 02-02-2024, 09:24 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
Eli and the Giants taking down Patriots twice.

Old 02-04-2024, 07:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
One many (many) years ago when the Jets played the Bills and OJ Simpson (a hero then) was just tearing yardage on runs in the snow.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:28 AM

116 posts, read 34,950 times
Here are my list of several NFL Memorable Games:

1) Philadelphia defeating New England in Super Bowl. My Boy Nick Foles absolutely shredded that vaunted Billy B. Defense and also caught a touchdown pass from Trey Burton.

2) New England defeating Carolina in the Super Bowl in Houston. The most underrated Super Bowl that people hardly ever mentions except for Carolina Fans who are still salty about John Kasey kicking the ball out of bounds.

3) New England defeating Atlanta in the Super Bowl in Houston. 28-3. Nothing more needs to be said about that. Also, that Edelman had the amazing catch.

4) New England defeating Seattle in the Super Bowl. That play call is something that I will never understand.

5) 2001-02 AFC Championship Game: New England defeating Pittsburgh in Heinz Field. Weird game that this was. A punt return touchdown for New England. A blocked field goal touchdown for New England. Finally, a Drew Bledsoe touchdown pass to David Patton.

6) 2017-2018 NFC Championship Game: The game where delusional Saints Fans believe that they would have beaten my Boy Nick Foles in had they not choked during that Minneapolis Miracle. Foles would have destroyed the Saints.

7) 2014-15 NFC Championship Game: A complete choke job by Green Bay. They forced Russell Wilson into 4 interceptions and still gave that game away.

8) 2017-18 AFC Divisional Round Game between Jacksonville and Pittsburgh. One of the weirdest games that I have ever seen. The Steelers score 42 points in a loss.

9) 2021-22 NFC Championship Game. I have no doubt that San Francisco would have beaten Cincinnati in the Super Bowl had Tartt held onto the Stafford Interception.

10) 2021-22 AFC Championship Game. Why did the Chiefs go for it from Cincinnati’s 2-yard line before halftime and not kick the field goal?

Old 02-11-2024, 02:42 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
I was fortunate to attend a superbowl. Redskins vs Bills in Minneapolis. Washington easily won the game.

Old 02-11-2024, 09:20 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Well that Super Bowl was the craziest. Took a while for the competitive stage to kick in but what a 4th quarter and OT period. Good for the Chiefs but I could feel the bummed-outtedness of the 9er players like Purdy and such. Kyle Shanahan, wow. He's gonna need a pep talk.

My most memorable? I don't know. Back in the day, got to see Montana win one late against Elway at Mile High, then the next year Elway winning one late against Montana. Can't remember if Montana was playing for the 9ers or the Chiefs. It was one or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football