Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 05:31 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

I was at the 1968 Eagles game where at half time the fans booed Santa, and threw snow balls at him. I was there and will never forget that. It was funny as HELL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 07:54 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I'm sure Pilot1 remembers that gawdawful 1968 season that the Eagles had. Philly started that decade by winning the NFL Championship over Green Bay. It was the only playoff game that a Vince Lombardi coached team would ever lose. A few years after Eagle head coach Buck Shaw retired Philly signed Joe Kuharich to a ten year contract. Kuharich's credentials were lacking. To my best knowledge he was the only head coach in Notre Dame history to finish his career there with a losing record. The only year coaching the Chicago Cardinals he was 4-8. And followed that up with a 26-32 record with the Washington Redskins.

Shortly after Kuharich was hired the club slowly but methodically sent the Eagles best players elsewhere, classy players such as Tommy McDonald, Pete Retzlaff, Timmy Brown, and the most notable one was trading Sonny Jurgensen to the Redskins for a straight up swap for Norm Snead.He traded for Mike Ditka and wound up benching him for a few games because of a bad attitude. He coached there for five years and had one winning season in 1966. By week eleven of the 1968 season the Eagles were winless. A neighbor of mine told me a story about their game against the Steelers in week six. With two minutes left in the game the score was 3-3. The Eagles had the ball on their own ten yard line and Kuharich had the Eagles go for a first down on 4th and 8th from their ten yard line. The eagles were lucky that they were playing in Pittsburgh.

By December my friend told me that there was a huge demonstration near Philadelphia's City Hall with dozens of signs saying "Joe Must Go." The fans claimed, and rightly so, that owner Jerry Wampler was as big an embarrassment as his head coach. And in that snowball game there was a huge storm that hit the city on game day, there was to be a special Christmas halftime show that got cancelled due to the storm. The club somehow got a Christmas sleigh from a business and got a guy dressed up in a Santa Claus suit to go around the field. He was pummeled with snowballs. The bad conditions didn't stop the Eagle fans--nearly 50,000 people were there and from start to finish were chanting "Joe Must Go.' After the season was over the club was sold to Trucking magnate Leonard Tose, who promised to fire Kuharich as his first act.

Pilot1 is absolutely right. I can only imagine being there--a memorial football game indeed.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:44 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I'd bet that after this past week's games that some may have a new 'most memorable' game.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:08 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Games I attended:
1) 2009 NFC Champ Game--already explained
2) 2009 NFC Wild Card vs Atlanta--first home playoff game ever for AZ Cardinals. It was insane. My voice hurt for 5 days after. On top of that a great, tight game.
3) 2010 NFC Wild Card vs Packers--Over 100 points scored. It was an arena game. Ended with the Defense stepping up.
4) 1998 vs San Diego--Chris Jacke hits field goal to send us to Playoffs vs Dallas, for first time. Partied late into night.
5) 2008 vs Rams--Blowout game, but clinches NFC West title for first time.

Other games:
1) 1987 AFC Championship--The Drive. I was a Broncos fan back then. Sorry
2) 1988 AFC Championship--The Fumble.
3) SB 43. Ah man, what could have been had Kurt Warner seen James Harrison.
4) SB 32--This one is for John!!
5) SB 34--The best SB ever...with the Rams winning by one yard.

lol.

Old 09-22-2022, 11:50 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
1980, Dallas at Giants Stadium. I was a kid at my first Giants game (now I own the season tickets, my family has had the same seats (at least same area of the various stadiums) since Yankee Stadium in 1968, including brief stays at the Yale Bowl and Shea Stadium).
Giants were in the midst of their worst season, which would result in the 2nd overall pick, Lawrence Taylor, and two superbowl championships. Dallas was dominating. They came in and it was a slugfest, but my favorite player, Brad Van Pelt, had 2 picks off Danny White, the Cowboys QB. We won. I remember the stadium rocks, walking down the cool circular ramps at the old stadium screaming with my dad and uncle. My greatest football memories are from the game. It is what started my love of the Giants, nfl football, and live sports over TV viewing. For me sports will always be about soccer and football. And nothing is as much fun as a freezing cold live Giants game beating the Cowboys. Be there Monday night!

Old 11-07-2022, 10:35 AM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Most memorable game was “The Big Comeback”, Oilers vs Bills on Jan 3, 1993.

I was living in Southern California at the time and watching from my backyard on a warm January day. It was unbelievable. I thought the Bills were finished when the Oilers were up 28-3.
Great game still brings back memories to this day.

Old 11-07-2022, 11:55 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
1980, Dallas at Giants Stadium. I was a kid at my first Giants game.. Danny White, the Cowboys QB..
Cool memory.
Remember White was also the Cowboys punter. That's something you don't see anymore.. A quarterback, who also kicks.

Old 11-07-2022, 12:36 PM

23,532 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Who could forget the 2021 AFC Divisional Playoff game between the Bills & Chiefs?
That will surely go down as one of the best games in the history of the NFL.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:35 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,692,848 times
AFC Wild Card game, Steelers at Broncos, the game went into overtime, I was sure the Steelers would come back to win. But that throw from Tebow to Thomas was stuff of legend! I was there and it was a magical, unforgettable moment!

Old 11-08-2022, 11:45 AM

32,100 posts, read 34,714,145 times
So many.

For starters, the Seahawks-Pats SB where Russell Wilson threw a pick on the 1-yard line.

The Giants SB win over the undefeated Pats.

The Colts-Steelers playoff game where Jerome Bettis fumbled on the 1-yard line in the 4th quarter with a minute to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football