Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:54 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times

Advertisements

Nantz and Romo? Michaels and Collingsworth? Buck and Aikman? I think they all suck, but Buck and Aikman still hold a slight edge as the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
I think Buck and Aikman are the worst. I turn off the sound on the TV whenever they are on. Jack Buck was a fun guy to hear, especially calling baseball on the Radio. Joe, not so much.

Aikman comes across with flat affect which would be better suited for a chess tournament. Or Miniature golf.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:23 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Jim Nantz. Hands down. Extremely biased and it's so obvious he knows nothing about football.

Old 02-09-2021, 10:15 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Nantz and Romo? Michaels and Collingsworth? Buck and Aikman? I think they all suck, but Buck and Aikman still hold a slight edge as the worst.
I like hearing Michaels, he seems connected enough with the game while providing some actual emotional depth. Romo has really good insight and great interpretation to the viewer of what’s going on.

Buck and Aikman, I’d describe them like eating the styrofoam wafers in church during communion coming up. You know that you can’t expect taste or any flavor but it is a ritual that you must endure. Collins worth can drone on for a bit too.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:52 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Joe Buck...never heard anything positive outta his mouth ever.

John Madden.....now HERE's a man that knows football

Soft spot for Howard Cosell during half time. Those were good times.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:50 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

I miss Madden and Michaels on Monday Night Football.

Old 02-12-2021, 04:10 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I miss Madden and Michaels on Monday Night Football.

Never cared for them calling Monday Night games.. Was much happier when they moved to Sunday night. That wasn't because of THEM.. It was because MNF had completely lost its luster by that point. And it was much better having them call (usually) meaningful games.

I always liked Al, Frank and Dan (Dierdorf) on MNF. The classic mid 80's to mid 90's lineup.

Cosell was an acquired taste. Alternatively, I liked and hated him. Which.. Really was his schtick.

But all things told.. I think Dan Dierdorf is highly underrated. some people think he's just blah.. But I always liked hearing his call.

Boomer Esiason did a hell of a job on radio broadcasts, too.

That's something to take into account.. So few people listen to radio anymore.. But, I listed to alot of games on SiriusXM with the local announcers. And, of course, growing up with Sonny, Sam and Frank on the Redskins broadcasts..

Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
My dislike for Joe Buck goes back to when Randy Moss "mooned" the Packers fans in the 2005 playoffs, not sure why he had to go all Mr. Morals but for some reason he felt the need too. Moss was clearly having fun w/ the opponents fans who themselves have been known to moon the opponents in the parking lot, it wasn't a big deal but he made it one.

Aside from that, he is so boring to listen too. "Pass is....caught" "Mitchell....Mitchell.....Mitchell....Down to the 25". He also likes to bring up Aaron Rodgers whenever possible, even when Rodgers isn't in the featured game.

I'll give him some leeway in that in the past 3-4 years I feel he's gotten a little better, but his monotone energy and predictable calls of the action have me tuning the audio into Espanol as to not have to listen to me more often than not.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:41 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post

I still miss him and his highlighter!

Old 02-13-2021, 06:10 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Each season it seems to be getting worse. No, it's not just the increased amount commercials which are wedged in at every opportunity (I swear they instituted this review rule after a touchdown just so they can squeeze in more commercials), and it's not the ridiculous and often immature antics of the players or the stupid sound bites from coaches after a game. I've come to accept all that crap that goes with a Sunday afternoon of football in front of the tube.

What's really ruining my experience each week is listening to these commentators and pre/post game analysts, most of whom are about two steps up from the missing link on the evolution chart, who babble on about nonsense that either no one cares about, is totally biased, or just plain clueless. One would think some of these clowns are taking kick backs for PR work for some of these players who they make excuses for or try to convince us that they are better than they really are. They all have their favorites who can do no wrong, and most of them are just plain annoying. Either that or dull as watching paint dry.

Every so often there's a couple who are actually pretty good, only problem is, that guy is paired up with a moron who ruins it for me. So I'm watching more and more games with the sound muted, because I can't tolerate most of these mouthbreathers. Here's my short list:

The entire MNF cast, especially Gruden - Gruden never shuts up and Torico is boooooorrrrring.
Chris Berman - not funny, at all!
Dan Dierdorf - clueless
Chris Collinsworth - snarky, thin skinned, and obnoxious.
Deion Sanders - I don't even know where to begin...he's the worst ever.
Michael Irvin - See, Deon Sanders
Phil Simms - Yawn, Mr. Obvious
Randy Cross - Moron!

The ones I like are:

Al Michaels
Nessler and Mayock
Tony Dungy
Howie Long
Terry Bradshaw
Jim Nance
Steve Mariucci
Marshall Faulk
Dan Marino

Honestly, they can do away with most if not all of the ESPN cast as well as NFL Network.
This!
And this again Part 2...

Romo Brain-dead. He's almost as unlistenable as Todd Christensen was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football