Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 07:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,763,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, but: Do most of the men here plan on going into the office while your wife is in labor? Because that's your job, after all.
Big difference in going to an average day of work at an average job and a huge day of work at a job on national stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, but: Do most of the men here plan on going into the office while your wife is in labor? Because that's your job, after all.

Not the same. It isn't a one time or two time event (in a lifetime) that you've been working on as a close team, where they are dependent on you and you can't be replaced, where your absence could, and likely would, hurt the organization and your teammates financially.

If that was the case, yeah, I would expect them to be there at work.

My dad wasn't at my birth. He wasn't at my brothers birth (I heard my dad took my brother to Friendlys). No harm done.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:47 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Exactly my point. It's a sporting event vs. the devotion to wife (okay baby momma) and child. It would not be a difficult decision for me.
That's because you don't like football.

I like how people who don't like sports always refer to all pro athletes as some sort of sub-human, Neanderthal.

Sherman graduated from Stanford with a 3.9 GPA. If he's a Neanderthal, what does that make you?

By the way, if I'm in that situation, I'm playing in the Super Bowl. "No brainer."

Old 01-30-2015, 07:48 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,181,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Not the same. It isn't a one time or two time event (in a lifetime) that you've been working on as a close team, where they are dependent on you and you can't be replaced, where your absence could, and likely would, hurt the organization and your teammates financially.

If that was the case, yeah, I would expect them to be there at work.

My dad wasn't at my birth. He wasn't at my brothers birth (I heard my dad took my brother to Friendlys). No harm done.
I don't really think of being there for the birth as being for the baby - I mean - it is in a way - but it's more for the mom and the dad. My husband wanted to see his son born. He said it was absolutely amazing. And he wanted to be there for me. But if my husband had the chance to see his dream come true - I would want him to take it. However, I'm glad that my husband is not a pro football player with a chance to play in the Superbowl! As it was, the births of our two children are memories that the two of us will treasure for the rest of our lives!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:52 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
I don't think it matters what any of us think about it because it has nothing to do with us. It's a choice that he and his partner need to agree on, and that's all.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,153,597 times
Like deflategate, this is a non-story. Super Bowl, the baby will be there on Monday.

Dads used to not even be allowed in the delivery room.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:58 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,004,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
That's because you don't like football.

I like how people who don't like sports always refer to all pro athletes as some sort of sub-human, Neanderthal.

Sherman graduated from Stanford with a 3.9 GPA. If he's a Neanderthal, what does that make you?

By the way, if I'm in that situation, I'm playing in the Super Bowl. "No brainer."
It's a stigma, so it's just an easy way out.

It's not all NFL football players went to college, majored in like general studies, and copied all of his answers off the resident nerd. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 3.0+ GPA. There's a lot of players who graduated with a 2.0 GPA. It actually takes a lot of intelligence to learn an entire play book and execute it in-game, but people don't want to hear about that. All they see is 22 guys hitting each other on the field, they don't actually know what happens before the game.

And yes, people who hate sports or just football will chime in with there biased opinions. The people who know what it takes to actually play sports will read it like they themselves are the neanderthals.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:02 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,744,165 times
To answer the question (even though it's none of our business), I think he should plan to play, and the couple should plan to have an alternate birth partner on the bench. My husband had to travel overseas in the weeks before my due date. There was never any question whether he should go, and we had a plan B.

Military husbands miss the birth of their babies due to work every day.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times
He and his team shouldn't be in the super bowl. He should not have reproduced either.

This is why I don't care for the nfl.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:06 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
A ginned up media controversy. Any decent doctor should be able to do a workaround. Athletes have had to deal with this. Last year during the NBA playoffs Manu Ginobili's wife had a son in the middle of it - he played a game the night before, was there for the birth in the morning and by the afternoon was at practice. I expect the wives and children of athletes are forgiving about this kind of thing. I would be.

Ginobili welcomes baby boy during playoff break | NBA.com

Notice the doctor planned the C-section around his playoff schedule.

If it's such a big deal, I would think Richard Sherman has enough money that he could pay a doctor to either induce labor early or delay labor for 12 hours. If that's unreasonable he could pay for a private jet to take him to the superbowl at the latest possible moment, and then after the game get him out of there and back at his..... baby momma's.... side in short order.

If I knew my dad missed my birth because he played in the superbowl, but got back as soon as possible, I think I would be damn proud of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football