Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Good for you. Former athlete, too - football. And that's ironic that you would consider them "overhyped, brain-damaged hooligans", when you practice MMA (which I used to practice, too), when literally the object of the fight is to beat your opponent unconscious or into submission.

Still confused on how a Stanford grad with a 3.9 GPA is a brain-damaged hooligan. Among many other smart, well-respected men who are husbands and fathers that play the sport. Just flat out stupid.

The rest of your post is just an baseless assumption, which is something you seem to do at an All-American level.
Upstanding?
80-90% cheating and a 75% divorce rate?
50+% drug abuse?

You and I have a different opinion of respected and upstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 09:37 PM

495 posts, read 684,928 times
I just don't get why men are expected to have their faces right in the vagina until the baby pops out. This is a new trend but I liked it better when men were in the waiting room or outside the tent until the kid was born. Or mabey even waited several hours until things where ready. If I ever had a kid I would be in the waiting room and I would absolutely play in the super bowl.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:40 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,021,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader44 View Post
I just don't get why men are expected to have their faces right in the vagina until the baby pops out. This is a new trend but I liked it better when men were in the waiting room or outside the tent until the kid was born. Or mabey even waited several hours until things where ready. If I ever had a kid I would be in the waiting room and I would absolutely play in the super bowl.
You can hang out in the waiting room. I would want to be with my wife, and my newborn child. What could possibly be more important at the end of the day??

On his death bed, no father ever said "I should have skipped the birth of my child."

Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
I know many guys who have missed the birth of their first, second, etc kid for much, much less when I was in the military, and most of the time the command could have easily allotted for their absence, but did not care to do so.

This is really a no brainer; professional football is not a "job", it is a way of life, a culture. The Superbowl is the number one reason why they are out there playing, winning the Superbowl is the goal every single player, coach, etc sets out to do each season.

The mother can have the child without him, he plays no role, however, he is important to the team and the team expects his talent to be there. It is not like so security guard shift work, where someone of equal skill can easily be replaced.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,176,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Upstanding?
80-90% cheating and a 75% divorce rate?
50+% drug abuse?

You and I have a different opinion of respected and upstanding.
Ah, I didn't realize that football players were the only people in the world to cheat, get divorced and have a drug problem. Awesome to hear that none of that runs rampant in society in general among musicians, movie stars, politicians, white collar professionals or blue collar workers.

I also didn't realize 80,90,75 and 50 equalled 100, as in every football player is a cheating divorcee with a drug problem.

Still hilarious you practice MMA, but have some sort of axe to grind against football players. Me thinketh I know why, but I'll keepeth that to myself.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:02 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Mr. Sherman has a contract and an obligation to his team, employer, the fans, etc. Face it, missing the birth of your child happens all the time. Soldiers, and many others have responsibilities, and the necessity of earning money to pay for the child. He better play if he knows what's good for him.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Superbowl.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Just playing devil's advocate, but: Do most of the men here plan on going into the office while your wife is in labor? Because that's your job, after all.
Playing in the super bowl isn't the same thing as just another day at the office. Just another day at the office for an NFL player would be like going to practice.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:25 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Being present for the birth of your child: not that important in the grand scheme of things...let's keep it real. Being present for the rest of the child's life: fairly important in the grand scheme of things.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,178,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Being present for the birth of your child: not that important in the grand scheme of things...let's keep it real. Being present for the rest of the child's life: fairly important in the grand scheme of things.
You might have a different perspective if you had a child. Don't get me wrong - I would expect him to play in the Superbowl if it came down to it - but being there for the birth of your child is one of the most wonderful, special moments of your life. And I'm not saying this as just a mother - all the men that I've talked to have said the same thing. My husband watched the whole thing - twice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football