Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I think the issue is to challenge the attitudes, which are put forward by and large by the media. To use examples, racism was lessened greatly by the challenging of attitudes, as was sexism and homophobia now.

I heard Tyra Banks quit her show to start a charity aimed at female bodily self-acceptance, and this is something that women in contemporary US society need.
Yes and Dove is running a good campaign in this direction. But until attitudes do change--and they appear to be getting worse at this time--it's an uphill climb. Everyone gets weary now and then. We're only human.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,205,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
... You cannot simply swap out Braunwyn's husband (for example) for some random guy, who is "healthy and can do some sort of work" because "nobody is better than the other", and expect her to not care.
Lets find out. We will secretly swap Braunwyn's husband with Sean Connery. Will she be able to know the difference?

Well there you have it, people are unable to differentiate between plain old husband and a famous movie star.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:36 AM

84 posts, read 157,437 times
Weird...

I actually thought many American women go the other way, as in delusionally high self-esteem. Some are just picky to the point of .

Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dynamo View Post
Weird...

I actually thought many American women go the other way, as in delusionally high self-esteem. Some are just picky to the point of .
Maybe they're trying to avoid the low self esteem guys who try to bring women down to their misery level.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Maybe the better question is: Why do all the American women I (meaning you) date have low self-esteem?

I personally think your question cannot be answered. It's based on an erroneous assumption that "all" American women have low self-esteem. I am walking, living proof of that being wrong - as I know many women who are proof that your assumption is erroneous.

So, why are you dating women with low self-esteem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??

Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Honest question, I don't know if women in other countries have the same problem but I have never dated or met a woman in this country who did not suffer from low self esteem, regardless of social status, family upbringing, accomplishments, etc

I have a coworker who is a pretty attractive girl in her early 20's, we went to the Iowa State Fair one night and she told me that she was very self conscious about her face(she has some very small acne scars) and her height (she is about 6'1"). She has no boyfriend and always complains about not being able to find one

I have never had a girlfriend who did not have low self esteem or was happy with herself, what the hell is wrong with our women??

It must be only the woman that you attract..I'd look at yourself first before you blame Us..

Old 11-10-2010, 12:48 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,666 times
Quote:
Weird...

I agree, but most of the things that they say on here would embarrass me and that can't help their self esteem, in the long run.

It's sort of like grade school. Everyone has self esteem because the teachers are trained to pour it into the kids. Then they graduate and reality sets in.

As long as young women have ***** power over men, they are like a grade school kid in a candy store. Marry badly or wait too long to settle.............

Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,199,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Lets find out. We will secretly swap Braunwyn's husband with Sean Connery. Will she be able to know the difference?

Well there you have it, people are unable to differentiate between plain old husband and a famous movie star.
Not only a movie star, but considerably older with less hair. He's probably a bit shorter as well.

As far as us being all the same, gender should be interchangeable, too. Why differentiate gender in this conversation, Kramar? Or maybe I'm confusing the conversations. This is an older thread (I think).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,199 times
Quote:
Weird...

Ahhh you beat me to it...I was thinking the same thing. From what I've seen it's the other way around...American women have insanely high self-esteem...so many 5's and 6's that walk around like they're an 8,9, or 10.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:49 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it."--Confucius. (K'ung Fu-Tzu).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology