Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I have been told I have none.
Most likely the person who said that did not give you a chance to prove that this statement is wrong.

I own a tanning salon. People will come in and buy a package of tans and they seem to have "no personality" at all. Then, as they start coming in more and more we talk more, they open up a little and soon I discover they are full of personality. They are simply more reserved and it takes a while to get them to the point where they feel comfortable talking and being friendly.

Most likely, Tweetybird, you are reserved and not an extrovert. There is no shame in that. If someone judges you before they give you a chance to get comfortable with them, then it is their loss. You cannot expect everyone to be the same. Sometimes you have to be patient. Sometimes the best things are worth waiting for.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:23 AM

2,736 posts, read 2,797,004 times
They pick apart people with extreme personalities and accomplishments, hoping and wishing it was them. What better way to get a personality then to steal from the ones who do.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:35 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
Just in general, people with "no personality" aren't funny themselves, don't find others amusing and sit there, saying nothing while others converse around them. They also either don't have an opinion on anything or can't (or won't) express it.

For instance, if I ask someone, "What do you think of Obama?" I expect them to answer, either positively or negatively. Or they can say, "I don't discuss politics," which is also a perfectly fine response. But if they sit there with no expression and stutter, "Um, I don't know..." or look away I consider them to be boring, stupid or both. But definitely having little or no personality.

I actually think it's preferable to have a negative personality than having "none." The best personalities are those who make people laugh, who are sharp, fast, wickedly witty and smart. A lot of that is innate, but some can be learned (like being intelligent and well-read).

Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
The OP hasn't answered the question as to how this comment even arose and from whom.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:47 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The OP hasn't answered the question as to how this comment even arose and from whom.
Why should that matter? What matters is that the OP may not believe it 100% which means that the other person may not be as credible in her eyes. That is a good thing. Perhaps she is starting to honor her own feelings and perceptions. That shows character.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:49 AM

2,087 posts, read 4,283,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poletop1 View Post
I think they meant they find nothing likeable in your personality...insulting but not true that you have no personality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
No sense of humor..very boring...Im sorry..
Has anyone ever told either of you that you lack empathy and compassion?

Yeah, they have.

Old 07-09-2011, 02:52 PM

20 posts, read 233,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I don't know anything interesting that i am good at
What about something that might not be interesting that you're good at?

Old 07-09-2011, 03:19 PM

20 posts, read 233,513 times
Default your personality

personality
1. The combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
2. Qualities that make someone interesting or popular.

Maybe one thing you could do is free yourself up to be yourself. When you come up with something you might want to do or say, don't right away stifle it if that's something you tend to do. Most importantly, don't take that comment to heart. When someone says that to someone else, it's likely they just haven't made the effort to get to know the other person. Everybody responds differently to things, and while there are typical ways that various types of people behave, every person behaves differently. Even sitting quietly in a corner reading a book is an aspect of someone's personality. Refusing to answer a question is an aspect of a personality. You want to go to school to become a physical therapist. That's one aspect of your personality. I don't want to become a physical therapist, and that's one aspect of my personality.

Even Bartleby the scrivener had a personality in both senses above. He was himself, and he was an interesting character. The story, "Bartleby the Scrivener," is a popular story. He's a popular character. He didn't even bore his boss, but mystified him. He was himself. The absence of so many other things that other people have made Bartleby Bartleby. Just as an example of one aspect of Bartleby's personality, expressed positively (as opposed to what he doesn't have that most other people do), is that he was diligent. He also knew what he wanted to do. He was determined. Even if you find yourself reading "Bartleby the Scrivener" (and if you haven't, I can recommend it highly) and saying "That's me! I'm just like Bartleby," remember that Bartleby isn't someone with no personality.

Notice that there are two definitions given by Dictionary.com. The person who said that to you probably doesn't even know which one he (or she) meant. It is simply impossible that you lack a personality in the sense of definition 1. That leaves definition 2. You can't please all the people all the time.

Looking at it from a different angle, question whether it is at all important to HAVE whatever this person meant by personality. Some people are addicted to novelty (and watch too much television and don't read much), and when they meet someone who doesn't seem very different from other people they have met they will tend to look elsewhere for novelty. Most people are normal, and normal people are very similar; but every person is different (even identical twins differ from eachother in significant ways) from every other person. You have a personality. You may keep it hidden, especially when you are depressed as you have said you are. When you're depressed, and I know, you will have trouble engaging other people, expressing yourself, and being interested in another person enough to keep a conversation going. It takes two to have a conversation. With you held back by depression, it is up to your interlocutor to keep a conversation going to try to bring out your personality. But you can try to break out of your shell too. Just keep trying. Find someone who will listen to you and you may be surprised by some of the things you find yourself saying.

Find someone else to talk to!

Bertie

Old 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM

12 posts, read 45,868 times
OP, you're probably socially stunted. Your personality probably is an uninteresting one, not per the dictates of popular culture.

but so what, everybody is different. why are you letting what these people say affect you so much? Confidence is key in all life activities.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:00 PM

12 posts, read 45,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Does not have hobbies, very limited sense of humor, does not seek a multitude of activities, does not make small talk, very shy, and usually engages in a lot of group think and collectivism to please the group. They might not even have empathy which contributes to the aura that the person has no personality.
Aren't you a homosexual? Who are you to scorn others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology