Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times

Advertisements

So the pain and rage welled up inside him. What hurts anyone more than anything is the feeling of being unloved. The thought of her sending him away or giving up on him made him feel unloved. Very painful for him on top of never feeling loved or valued in his entire life. Apparently she had helped out at the elementary school so that's where he turned his rage---after killing her for hurting him, he killed school kids for taking her away from him. In his twisted mind, he blamed the kids and the school--and school itself was a place that had always been a source of pain for him.

In addition to the above, I've wondered about his older brother and his father. Could they have reached him at all? What was his relationship to them like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 08:35 PM

858 posts, read 1,146,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
It's strange that most people have forgotten the Oregon mall shooter Jacob Tyler. Those close to him and even the police can't figure out why this really nice guy opened fire in a crowded mall before taking his own life.

Motives of Portland mall gunman Jacob Tyler Roberts remain a mystery to family, friends, police - NY Daily News
Didnt really read all the facts in this case, but from what I recall from TV newscasts, right before the shooting, he had sold all his possesions and was going to move to hawaii. Obviously he wasnt happy in his current situation and locale. Something or Someone pissed him off to want to leave. Whatever it was, it drove him nuts.

In reading the article he had a suspended drivers license and was being evicted from his apartment..perhaps he was f%%k up ..and the consequences got to him.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,219,146 times
For whatever reason we will never know - likely a delicate and complex combination of both developmental and emotional problems - he felt invisible... and outcast with no control. He was very angry with his mother, planned to kill her regardless - to exert control over the controller - and then realized he could add more impact to that single devastation by hurting innocents... innocents he might envision having the ideal family life and childhood experience. You do both and you suddenly mean something to the world. You ARE someone - forever. There are no shades of gray for someone with that mindset.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLL View Post
Didnt really read all the facts in this case, but from what I recall from TV newscasts, right before the shooting, he had sold all his possesions and was going to move to hawaii. Obviously he wasnt happy in his current situation and locale. Something or Someone pissed him off to want to leave. Whatever it was, it drove him nuts.
This line in the article struck me as being very interesting.

Quote:
"I've been turning this over in my head," said Eshbach, who said nothing seemed strange the last time he saw Roberts less than a week ago. "It's hard to imagine him being any other way. Something doesn't fit."

Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM

858 posts, read 1,146,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
This line in the article struck me as being very interesting.
Well I get the impression that he was shielding his personal problems with some or maybe all the people he knew. Possibly he didnt want people to know that his personal life was in a downward spiral and/or that it was bothering him badly.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM

142 posts, read 252,498 times
I think he was too intelligent and he realized that something was wrong with him, so he was scared. He knew he didn't fit in. When you go to college while others are still in high school, but have been home schooled before making that leap, that creates another gap.

I'm really very surpised that no one, absolutely no one, from any school or college, didn't evalutate him earlier in grade school. Even home schooled kids in my area have strict codes. They must use specific text books, take specific tests, and the home schooling parent has to report and it's required to meet with outher homes schooled kids for museum trips, etc. I know this because a friend of mine home schooled her three children. But with a child who has social fobias and whatever else, there would have to have been testing of IQ, psychological tests. Someone should have made a report somewhere along the way.

It seems to me that the school district failed him, too. Not that they deserved to die, in his eyes, perhaps that is why he did it all. He knew he wasn't normal and that irritated him. He knew he could have been in school with others. And I agree that he was jealous. He was also insecure and angry that he couldn't be like the others.

I missed the news about Nancy Lanza being away for three days. Being alone could have tripped him. Maybe he couldn't handle being alone. Playing those violent video games, the way they seem to put the shooter into the game --- I saw one game being played and it made me sick. If you put yourself in that player's place and shoot people on screen, you begin to beleive it is real. And then the game puts you in another level, higher. I couldn't stand watching someone else play this blood-thirsty game. He was a war vet. After a while, there the player is desensitized. I think all these things became real for Adam and he wanted to feel pain. Remember someone say he couldn't feel physical pain? He was probably a prisoner in his own body and mind.

A lot of people failed this guy, not just his Mom. Someone should have intervened a long time ago.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,171 times
Hmm,, his stupid mother allowing him to stay in the basement for TWO YEARS.. spending ALL his free time engrossed in playing violent video games where you basically just shoot people for hours on end..? Instead of getting him serious psychiatric treatment, which she should have done long ago..??
I am getting kind of sick of this whole autism-asperger's excuse.. yes obviously it is real and I know it's frustrating for parents who want to help their kids and find answers... BUT.... it also seems like an excuse for some mothers to allow their weirdo disturbed anti-social kids to just do their thing, because they are 'gifted geniuses' or whatever.. this seems to be the case here.. because the mother obviously was not alarmed enough to do anything about her son's extremely warped behaviour. And perhaps whatever was wrong with him was WAY beyond autism-asperger's.. and she was in serious denial. I mean she sounds like she had a major screw loose herself. What upper-class suburban Mom needs a whole arsenal of guns, glocks, semi-automatic weapons, etc.. in her home..?? Seriously...??? They say she was worried about the coming economic collapse...? Well she should have been more scared of the coming apocalypse that was about to happen right under her nose...!
And don't get me started about the Dad... he just seemed to forget he had a responsibility to his son when he got himself a new wife. Don't tell me he didn't know his son was seriously disturbed. But, did he do anything about it..?? Obviously, no....!
SO IMO both parents dropped the ball here and were hugely irresponsible.
But YES we also need to find more funds for real mental health care. Which leads me to ask.. WHY are there so many disturbed, mentally ill individuals.. anti-social, ticking time bombs, etc... today...? and why they are overwhelmingly MALE...??? And on a slightly different note, WHY so many kids with autism-asperger's..? And again, why overwhelmingly male..? What is going on here, in our society..?

Something is affecting our brains- (of males mostly)- and clearly, we have no clue what it is...

Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,077,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvb_Bryan View Post
Italian culture
???????????????????????????????

WHAT?>>>>>

FYI, not EVERY name that ends in a vowel is Italian. As a matter of fact, if it's five letters and ends in a vowel, usually A, it's generally Polish.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Newtown school shooter’s mother collected guns, was loath to let people inside home - The Washington Post

Quote:
Members of Nancy Lanza’s regular neighborhood dice game never got inside her home, either — not in 15 years of regular games. Rhonda Collens, a frequent player in the game, said that while the group’s weekly get-togethers moved from house to house, Nancy Lanza’s was always skipped. She never met Adam Lanza, and Nancy never spoke of her children. Adam has an older brother, Ryan Lanza, who lives in New Jersey and works for the accounting firm Ernst & Young.
I think the above is quite telling.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Oh, do come on. The Lanza boy has a brother who seems normal. Plenty of kids have normal upbringings, one child turns out OK, yet their brother/sister a scumbag, despite the same home environment.
Exactly. In my view, nature trumps nurture every time.

My two children couldn't be more different. My wife's two children could not be more different. Same households, same set of parents. I see it all the time. I learned long ago not to judge parents by their children. I've seen too many demon seed come from good parenting, too many saints come from indifferent or even awful parenting.

One thing that people forget is that as a child ages it becomes increasingly responsible for its own decisions and actions. This process begins early, not at some arbitrary late age like 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology