Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Mental illness does not play favourites. Rich, poor, great or terrible upbringing, it targets everyone alike. Genetics is one factor but sometimes it seems a combination of other factors.
No, the question I asked was WHY are the majority of these mass shootings coming from UPPER CLASS HOMES and NOT THE POOR ONES?

By right, people born and raised in misery in this country should be shooting up everyone in their path, but they're not.

What makes kids from the "good homes" turn into deranged, psycho misfit killers??

So far none of the kids have come from poor or lower income homes.

I guess parents and teachers should be more concerned with "Chad" from the beautiful mansion in the hills before worrying about the kids from the 'wrong side of the tracks' shouldn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
A few links to some interesting articles I posted in another thread, but are more relevant here:

Advocates have mixed feelings about national attention to mental health care

Mental health care in U.S. questioned amid another tragedy - CBS News

Mental Health and the Lack of Care in America

I believe that the stigma, the cost of healthcare and the intolerance of any form of weakness here (particularly in relation to males) is just as much a part of the problem as the guns themselves. That's why to reduce the risk of future mass shootings, both issues need to be addressed, though I don't see enough "change" happening due to the powerful gun and pro-"for profit" healthcare lobbies here.
Those are good articles and to quote from one:

"untreated mental illness typically results in quiet suffering, despair and isolation, not violence. "Linking it to the Newtown, Connecticut, shootings actually increases prejudice and discrimination,.... "And in the end that will keep people from seeking services that they need."

You only need to look at the politics forums on CD to see people referring to the crazies, psychos, and nutcases that should be on national registries etc. But most mentally ill people are not violent. It is all the suffering that mental illness is associated with that should be of concern to us. And further stigmatizing mental illness by associating it with violence is not going to help.

Last edited by ellemint; 12-25-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 12-25-2012, 06:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
No, the question I asked was WHY are the majority of these mass shootings coming from UPPER CLASS HOMES and NOT THE POOR ONES?

By right, people born and raised in misery in this country should be shooting up everyone in their path, but they're not.

What makes kids from the "good homes" turn into deranged, psycho misfit killers??

I guess parents and teachers should be more concerned with "Chad" from the beautiful mansion in the hills before worrying about the kids from the 'wrong side of the tracks' shouldn't they?
You're including college shootings too. Colleges tend to have more wealthy people.

The impoverished shooters probably drop out of school and don't target schools.

Outside of school shootings, you find mass killers with impoverished backgrounds such as the Beltway Sniper, or shootings at McDonalds, etc.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
Quote:

Is that true though? Have you looked at every mass shooting in American history and come to that conclusion? I'd highly question the 'upper class.'

If you mean 'middle class', well, most Americans are middle class, so it would make statistical sense.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Most of the recent mass murder "situations" have mind altering drugs involved, legally prescribed drugs. Nobody cares to study connections. Mind alteration is essential component of "The Brave New World", it's not something to doubt and criticize in the media. Let's ban guns instead.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is that true though? Have you looked at every mass shooting in American history and come to that conclusion? I'd highly question the 'upper class.'

If you mean 'middle class', well, most Americans are middle class, so it would make statistical sense.
Colombine killers, Batman shooter, Sandyhook savage and the korean college killer were "upper" middle class YOUNG people.

I'm wondering why kids who have everything and really nothing to complain about would feel the need to take out multiple people, then themselves. They basically get whatever they ask for, do not ever have to worry about where their next meal is coming from and have the latest of whatever is on the market.

What the hell are they so angry about?

Old 12-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Most of the recent mass murder "situations" have mind altering drugs involved, legally prescribed drugs. Nobody cares to study connections. Mind alteration is essential component of "The Brave New World", it's not something to doubt and criticize in the media. Let's ban guns instead.
This sounds more plausible, especially if they've been on them for several years.

I read that prescription drugs is a major problem in well to do suburbia. For some reason, the women and men need them to "cope" with life. "Coping" with life must be "rich people problems", because if you're rich and never have to worry about anything financially, then what's the problem?

I should be the one on prescription meds to help ME "cope" with my situation.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Colombine killers, Batman shooter, Sandyhook savage and the korean college killer were "upper" middle class YOUNG people.
What about the other hundred shooters? What were their backgrounds?

Quote:
Colombine I'm wondering why kids who have everything and really nothing to complain about would feel the need to take out multiple people, then themselves. They basically get whatever they ask for, do not ever have to worry about where their next meal is coming from and have the latest of whatever is on the market.

What the hell are they so angry about?
People with money suffer too. I'm continually amazed by people who think that money makes life better. It doesn't.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
This sounds more plausible, especially if they've been on them for several years.

I read that prescription drugs is a major problem in well to do suburbia. For some reason, the women and men need them to "cope" with life. "Coping" with life must be "rich people problems", because if you're rich and never have to worry about anything financially, then what's the problem?

I should be the one on prescription meds to help ME "cope" with my situation.
RememberMee means drugs prescribed for mental illness, not recreational prescription drugs. Wealthy children tend to receive mental health services more than poor children because wealthy parents can afford them. The wrong medication or the wrong dosage can tip people over the edge. So, getting more mental health treatment might not be the answer since mental health treatment seems to be causing these shootings. Instead of granting more access to mental health services, the government should do something to ensure that the mental health profession improves their performance record.

You seem to have a BIG problem with wealth. All of your current problems would become magnified if you became wealthy. Money doesn't make life better. If you're a miserable and negative person poor, you'll be miserable and negative rich too.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:46 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,381,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvb_Bryan View Post
Italian culture
You have a major hang-up with Italians. What are YOU?

There was nothing Italian about Adam Lanza, except a last name. In fact, had he been raised in a more interwoven traditional Italian family of yesteryear, the larger support system could have taken some of the edge off, while that's not a guarantee.

His mother, Nancy Lanza, was a WASP, from seeing her picture. She spent some time as a financial adviser or broker for John Hancock securities in Boston who then did the suburban thing in rural Connecticut. She turned her attention to being a homemaker after her divorce from Peter Lanza.

Peter Lanza is an executive of sorts, and lived elsewhere. It is unlikely that he was ever a New York area type of "Guido" who hung around Bensonhurst with his shirt open and a crucifix on a chain.

After the mall shooting during the same week in the West, I have not "educated" myself as to the details of this crime.

Most of the people who have done this sort of thing have historically been WASPs, by the way.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 12-25-2012 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology