Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM

267 posts, read 202,760 times

Advertisements

I also notice you could not give me an example of a collective act of racism against, even an individual one. Racism = White supremacy, something all Africans should realize and defend themselves against.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:14 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Not all black people are te same (history,culture, countries) so a branch just for them as a whole wouldn't work. That would be like saying Asians need their own culture when Singapore and North Korea have different ways of life and history

Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM

267 posts, read 202,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Not all black people are te same (history,culture, countries) so a branch just for them as a whole wouldn't work. That would be like saying Asians need their own culture when Singapore and North Korea have different ways of life and history
No, that's not true any self-knowing, self-defining, self-empowered African will agree, the only differences we havens the nationalities of Europeans who colonized us. The Caribbean is mainly French, South America, mainly brazil is Portuguese, the Africans in American were colonized by the British (who have the nationality of American), and the homeland was colonized by almost every European country. These are our only differences, but the system of white supremacy exists in all of these colonies and they keep the oppressed oppressed.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
I know that African American studies is a major or minor in some universities. Nowadays, one has to take "diversity" requirements in their general ed. while in college. I would have been interested in taking a history or psychology class pertaining to the AA experience. Certainly more interesting than a lot of other topics. In fact, at Univ. of Vermont, one can minor in Canadian History, which makes sense since the nearest big city is Montreal (~70 miles away) and not any American heavy hitter cities.

If I took a Women's Studies class full of feminists for my diversity requirement, I would either get beat up, get thrown out, or, if lucky, get a "C."

Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,460,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perception View Post
African people are currently in the midst of the worst holocaust in human history and the effects should be thoroughly researched by black psychologists. Africans of the diaspora and of of the homeland should not only have have the problems diagnosed, and symptoms described but also given thorough solutions to rid them of the psychological deprivation.

The causes of the psychological uniqueness among African people are caused by white supremacy, colonization, division among men and women (systematically), and the robbing by our oppressors of our language, customs, history, traditions, values and knowledge of self. I feel that blacks who become reacquainted with the truth of our people should lead in this field.

I will also that whites should not participate in this field because it would only be detrimental to the field. And would leave African people in a status not true to their original being and state of self.
Agreed that black culture and perhaps even psychological outlook may be unique, although that likely depends on the region, and my experience as a white, living for awhile in the caribbean, is that Caribbean black folks seem much more at ease, with none of the issues and attitudes that African Americans often have.... simply because they've always been used to being in the majority there.

So the main problem I always have with these kinda ''you just wouldn't understand'' positions with any outsider group, is they only seem to make the problem of ''alienation'' worse. Because what sort of ''solutions'' do you hope to achieve by only further convincing folks how ''unique'' and ''special'' they are (aka, different from everyone else)?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
Quote:
No, that's not true any self-knowing, self-defining, self-empowered African will agree, the only differences we havens the nationalities of Europeans who colonized us. The Caribbean is mainly French, South America, mainly brazil is Portuguese, the Africans in American were colonized by the British (who have the nationality of American), and the homeland was colonized by almost every European country. These are our only differences, but the system of white supremacy exists in all of these colonies and they keep the oppressed oppressed.
Well I'm a non knowing defining empowered African . Oh well

Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,131,343 times
Quote:
Give me an example of racism against whites and you'll see why your argument is flawed
Please...

Julius Malema is a crazy racist. So is Zuma and Mokaba.

His did that song go? Oh yeah... "Kill the Boer." How many white farmers were murdered in SA in the last decade???

How many whites were murdered or scared out of Zimbabwe? Lolol...

Not to mention the tribal holocausts, the attack on gay people in Uganda, plus multiple other things.

I just recently was reading about people raping virgin girls because its supposed to get rid if HIV according to the witch doctor...

How long is the "it's the white man's fault" going to be used???

Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Psychology in itself is highly grounded and based on socialpolitical influences. A part of the reason why it's not considered hard science is because it is socially biased.

What one considers to be a mental illness ex- not making eye contact in some cultures is considered to be a developmental delay in western psychology.

There's a branch in psychology that focuses on oppression and tosses DSM aside, and is firmly based on examining social inequalities for effective systemic change.

Individuals can change, but the environment is still highly influential (allowing people to move up and down the social ladders).

People often don't think how privilege/oppression go hand-in-hand so they create these social stigmas as to not deal with the real problems of society.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:36 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
Ukrkoz stated reasons for his disagreement with your view. To dismiss the dissenting opinions of others as "people offended for no reason" is extremely intolerant and disrespectful. Martin Luther King and those he marched with encountered racists who similarly thought he and his supporters were acting offended for no good reason. I am certainly not anti-black. I voted for Obama twice.

My point is you are not going to increase the number of your supporters by simply by arrogantly stating anyone with a different view is being offended for no reason as if you are the only one with any intelligence or knowledge on this subject. Good luck with your project, but consider retracting the intolerant stuff. No one is perfect. I am sure you have good intentions.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
Quote:
I'm not a racist, I do not feel whites are inferior to blacks however the system that is imposed and maintained by whites is a systematic Holocaust to African people of the world. I do not say any of this to inflame any attitudes, just speaking on what I've observed and experienced, so neither am I troll. Do not blame me if many people are offended for no reason.
Spoken by a true racist, who pull the race card but yet feel blacks are NEVER racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology