Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times

Advertisements

they live in their own little part of the world and don't even want to learn about anything or broaden their view. They're selfish and dumb, as in foolish. They don't think. They just blindly follow and use others. They foresee no consequences to their actions. They don't care, they don't even think long enough to care about the outside world. I have an aquaintance or two like that ...the less contact, the better. They suck you dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
What makes someone shallow? It is just a totally narcissistic outlook? Apathy? It it age related? What do you think?
I think it's more complex than any one of those, but anyone can be a component of what makes an individual shallow, with the exception of age. Babies I guess, could be thought of as shallow, but I doubt that many people think of them that way. I have met deeply engrossing and multifaceted seventeen year olds, and superficial and emotionally blunted forty year olds.

For myself, depth in a human being has much to do with a lack of concrete thinking. this can be in a clinical or non-clinical sense. Concrete people tend to see the world in a flat and one dimensional manner.
They may fixate upon one aspect of life and but all of there focus into that.

Frequently that aspect of what makes life happy is money. A commonality that I find among the shallow, is a focus upon money and the perceived happiness that lots of it can bring. "Shallow" and "materialistic" do seem to go hand and hand in the minds of many.

An interest in the superficial also seems to be an aspect of a shallow personality. Choosing friends who are physically attractive, an over attention to form over content, a disinterest in reading about or learning about anything that is distasteful, a disinterest in anything that does not take place in a beautiful or familiar setting, and that might involve people and settings that are novel. These are aspects of the terminally shallow.

You will find them at resorts and amusement parks rather than visiting the back streets, the obscure Eastern European city, with a tortured past, or an African city that is not a house hold world.

If you are listening to a lecture at the public library they are likely to be a the opening night of a block buster movie.

They don't have great senses of humor, and fail to take pleasure is the absurd or ironic.

The do love money and eschew education. That's my take.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-24-2013 at 06:45 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
To me, shallow, in terms of describing a person, means a glaring lack of self-awareness and a strong preference to relate to others in a superficial manner. A person lacking self-awareness is likely not able to feel a great deal of empathy, nor are they willing to look inward first before drawing conclusions about others. They prefer to project their thoughts and emotions on others rather than look at it as a reflection of themselves. As for the superficiality trait (which often goes hand in hand with shallow)---these folks are generally drawn to material things and status; and they prefer to size others up based on how much stuff they have or their status in life (job, background, education, etc.).
That's actually a really great explanation! I wonder if shallow people have a more 'external' locus of control, and a less developed inner life or interior space. I think they might even purposely try to deny their inner thoughts.etc because it's just easier. Life is very much 'on the surface' for them, and they are only affected rather superficially and vapidly. Their perception of the world is also rather limited.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,416,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
What makes someone shallow? It is just a totally narcissistic outlook? Apathy? It it age related? What do you think?
Shallow to me is surface level.

When people talk about surface level things and base other people's values based on what they can do for them (as in status, money, "the image") that to me is shallow.

Maybe a combination of narcissistic, apathetic, ignorant, selfish, and a lack of insight. A blending between all those traits?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:42 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
I don't think that lack and education and shallowness go hand in hand as others suggested on here. Think "Larry the Cable Guy" types - they are not shallow, nor are they educated (get er done!). Look at the folks on that side of the spectrum of life (enjoy camping and outdoors, not so much the Europe vacations). They may not have an education but I actually envy their love of the simple things and ability to stop and smell the rose. Education and culture can be over-rated to the types that can appreciate watching a river flow for an hour or two while their fishing. Education and culture can create a shallowness of its own degree, but that is just my opinion.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
I don't think that lack and education and shallowness go hand in hand as others suggested on here. Think "Larry the Cable Guy" types - they are not shallow, nor are they educated (get er done!). Look at the folks on that side of the spectrum of life (enjoy camping and outdoors, not so much the Europe vacations). They may not have an education but I actually envy their love of the simple things and ability to stop and smell the rose. Education and culture can be over-rated to the types that can appreciate watching a river flow for an hour or two while their fishing. Education and culture can create a shallowness of its own degree, but that is just my opinion.
I don't think it's education either. How shallow people react to education is just another facet of their shallowness, IMO.

Several people have used the term "vapid" which I think is a good adjective here. Superficial as well. Not deep thinkers. And very focused on self. The 9/11 story was amazing - that woman gets the shallow queen prize.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I agree with many of the above posters about shallow equaling superficial, and voluntarily being ignorant about important or deeper issues.

Other things that pop into my mind:
  • Judges other people based on appearance/attractiveness
  • Judges other people based on material things, money spent, flashy belongings
  • More into entertainment and pop culture than the major issues affecting our country and world (I actually just heard someone say "Like where is Palestinia anyway?")
  • More concerned with makeup, jewelry, clothing, tanning, working out, than being a decent person and doing good things, or learning anything valuable
  • Would choose a college based on how it would impress others instead of based on the academic program
  • Would choose a restaurant based on people tweeting about how trendy it is, and not based on how the actual food is.
  • Would choose a wine based on price rather than on the actual quality
  • Would prefer to be in debt but own all the "required" stuff than have a good amount of savings and no debt, because no one can see that.
  • Hasn't read an actual book in years, unless you count celebrity tell-alls and "50 Shades"
  • Would rather their children had cool clothes and the newest toys than learn manners and respect.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,530,949 times
A comment by Eleanor Roosevelt kind of fits too:

Quote:
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
Excessive, obsessive Facebooking. Worrying more about what your friends think than your spouse. Using kids as currency and/or accessories. Gossip.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:35 PM

588 posts, read 957,566 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
You might get 20 different responses from 20 different people. For me, it's more about knowledge and awareness. Shallow people know and care little beyond their own little worlds. So it's OK for children to be shallow, but not adults.
When someone only cares about him/herself, I perceive that as being shallow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology