Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

This is sort of a bizarre question. What does it have to do with the psychology of people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
This is sort of a bizarre question. What does it have to do with the psychology of people?
Maybe it's a secret study to determine who is narcissistic, Mensa members or have answers to the test?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
If my youth had been different I would have been an extraordinary dancer. My soul it's that of a dancer. Alas, it was not to be.

20yrsinbranson

Old 08-20-2013, 04:14 AM

318 posts, read 626,161 times
I consider myself smart (as in reading books and regurgitating information from them to ace my tests smart) but talented? No. I'm not too fussed though. I can get through life on my academic smarts well enough.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
This brings up so many issues, it's hard to know where to start. Some people are told all their lives how brilliant they are, and they live on that and don't develop social skills; as a result, they might as well been average, as their work never comes to anything. It's the "Emotional Intelligence" issue versus test scores. I think test scores are over-rated, and this is from someone who did well in school, got scholarships, etc.

A lot depends, too, on who your parents were, where you were born, even what month. Read the Malcolm Gladwell books, especially The Tipping Point, where he writes about hockey players, and how all the pros, with few exceptions, were born around Jan.-Feb., which means that, in school, they're just a smidge bigger and smarter than children a few months younger, and are channeled all their careers, based on that. Hardly seems fair.

Most of the pride people take in their intelligence, careers, family background, whatever, is just a means of coping and not very well examined, I think.

I'm very good in music (playing, writing, conducting, teaching), and know more than perhaps average in several fields, since I'm a bookworm (art, poetry, philosophy). I think I went in this direction because of being teased so much in school, rejected so much because of my height (6'3" - which is tall for a woman), and don't know that it's some innate gift so much as a coping mechanism.

And yet, even so, I do think talent has to be fostered and supported, whatever its underlying reasons. It just shouldn't take itself too seriously, or lord it over others who for whatever reason, didn't have the opportunities one has enjoyed.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,774,983 times
Yes, pissing people off....I am an expert at it!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I think this plays a part as well:

Dunning

---

So I'll be pleading the 5th...even if I am extremely talented.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
I think this plays a part as well:

Dunning

---

So I'll be pleading the 5th...even if I am extremely talented.
Oh this is great! Thank you for posting it (she slinks away, shyly).

Old 08-21-2013, 03:10 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I think I am pretty good at my job. I have done it for many years.

At this point, if I don't know something, no one probably knows more than me.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:44 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Yes, pissing people off....I am an expert at it!
I'm at DEFCON Level III myself (2 levels below Expert); it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to your craft to become an Expert in the field of pissing people off, so I applaud you because according to the Training Manual most people wash out after only a few years.

I'll be joining you one day at that Expert Level... just you wait, just you wait .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology