Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,448 times

Advertisements

I encounter a lot of very average people who will be forgotten at work and in their community when they leave. Most people don't seem to really have anything extraordinary about them and do little to build upon their talents, they just exist day to day.

How about you? Are you brilliant or extremely talented in something? (Examples: Cooking, public speaking, acting, music, writing, conversation, mathematics, memory, etc.)

Definition of brilliant: In the top ten percent of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
No. I have many talents and am pretty good at most but not what I would call brilliant at any of them. Someone once said "The cemetery is full of people who thought they were irreplaceable."

Old 08-08-2013, 05:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
I'm able to look at planes and edges like a coffee table or book-shelf and imagine extending the line they form for a long ways (even out through a window) and see where the extended line would end up like into a tree or cloud or something, what's that called?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
I am proficient in not only self deprecation but in scathing criticism of others. It has taken me years to reach this pinnacle of achievement.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:01 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,205 times
I am naturally extremely skilled in photography, and I can teach myself to use nearly any kind of device or machine of any level of complexity with little or no instruction.

Still can't do basic math in my head though! Doh!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
I've been told I'm a talented writer. I also have a good memory.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:45 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,993,910 times
I still haven't found my talent in life. I do things and get bored easily.
Since you stated the "top ten percent" criteria, I'm a member of Mensa (one has to be top 2% to get in there).

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Yes I am exceptionally good at electrical / mechanical things and troubleshooting problems with those things. Like an ice skater, I make it look easy.

But also like an ice skater, I have done a LOT of hard work reading and learning about these things. But I must admit having a built-in curiosity about these things was most helpful so far as motivating myself to learn. (If it is something I am not interested in, I will never get to the 2nd page of a book because it is boring to me.)

I am also exceptionally good at organizing things and creating systems. But once I have done a job like that, I no longer have a job! (Things only need to be organized once.)

Old 08-10-2013, 01:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jobhunter View Post
I encounter a lot of very average people who will be forgotten at work and in their community when they leave. Most people don't seem to really have anything extraordinary about them and do little to build upon their talents, they just exist day to day.

How about you? Are you brilliant or extremely talented in something? (Examples: Cooking, public speaking, acting, music, writing, conversation, mathematics, memory, etc.)

Definition of brilliant: In the top ten percent of people.
I can't say if I'm in "the top 10%" at anything,
because I'm not adequately qualified/educated (well-versed with what other people are like) to know.
It's like, "compared to what/who ?"

Have been told by other people that my artwork is really great,
I draw intricate patterns & they look awesome to me

Unfortunately, I'm very poor at marketing or self-promotion,
so my work will never be popular or pricey,
which are ways our culture measures "worth" or "brilliance".

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm able to look at planes and edges like a coffee table or book-shelf and imagine extending the line they form for a long ways (even out through a window) and see where the extended line would end up like into a tree or cloud or something, what's that called?
Perspective, or "vanishing point" ?
But I don't know what the skill of "3-D visualization of vectors" would be termed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology