Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,703,489 times

Advertisements

I am against all spanking, also sexual spanking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 06:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,213,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Insofar as the news headline places emphasis on 'links to aggressive behavior' and the news article does not directly address the significant gender difference (nor does the actual article) other than to quote percentages. The articles conclusion totally overlooked why such a difference exists. I simply find it interesting and wonder why it exists.
Given that you did not read the study, but were still aware of gender differences, then the article did not over look that variable. It clearly stated it. That it was not included in the headline makes no difference since it's not the point of the study. And what matters is the study and its findings. The sticking points for this or that news reporter doesn't seem terribly important imo. Anyhow, since gender is an important variable for you, I think it makes sense that gender differences exist since moms tend to be primary caregivers for a majority of children.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:53 PM

33 posts, read 35,282 times
because it's fact.

MILLIONS of people got spanked and are not resentful, angry or violent.

For this reason, I don't in honesty get the anti-spanking argument.

Somebody will say "oh, how do you know these people aren't really hurting?" well, how is mental illness defined? by observation, not looking into souls. If somebody is operating well, then any hidden hurt cannot be noted.

IMO, anti-spanking is just some PC plot.

Old 06-13-2014, 04:16 AM

703 posts, read 871,889 times
I don't believe in rural, backwoods punishment. One time in school, students were asked to raise their hands if they were spanked or grounded (other punishment). All of the spanked kids were low-performing, and/or students who caused a load of problems, and abused drugs. Then, the kids who were grounded were well-mannered, disciplined kids. I knew my peers pretty well. I wouldn't advise it unless you want to destroy trust, and look like someone who hasn't left the deep country for the suburbs. Haha, just a little input.
Seriously, just go with the flow today. There are many other alternatives to spanking.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:50 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,303,300 times
How about the opposite?

What about all the kids these days who have not been spanked?

Seems to me they are not very good at following rules or the laws of society. Note that many rules and laws are for their own safety - don't cross the street without looking both ways first - don't exceed the speed limit when driving - don't text while driving - Etc.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:46 PM

11,057 posts, read 6,007,787 times
I had two boys, both were well behaved and listened to me when I spoke. I never spanked them. The older boy was hyperactive and very bright and he got routinely spanked (think beatings) to make him behave and then he got spanked to make him stop crying (I'm talking about from five months old and on). He committed suicide after struggling for years with depression and anxiety. He was not violent in any way and nor was his younger brother who never got spanked because he was not hyperactive and was an easy kid. He grew up as a well balanced and very pleasant kid.

I am not in favour of spanking, beating and harsh punishment. How does one train a puppy? Beating it into submission will produce a badly mannered dog with aggression issues or timid behaviour. Train a puppy with firmness and kindness and it will become a well mannered, well behaved and well disciplined dog.

Last edited by 303Guy; 06-13-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 04:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
I'm calling BS on this one. Mainly because (characteristic of the popular mass media) there is no link (there never is) to the actual studies, where one can examine the methodology or even look at the raw data. (Correct me if there is such a link--I can't find it in the chaotic clutter of the web page.)

Unless the study carefully controlled for it, it is highly likely that parents who spanked their children were also deficient in a wide variety of other parenting skills, and raised their children in homes where there would naturally tend to be many other factors that would affect or retard the development of the child. Including parents who themselves have poor vocabularies and (wait for it) exhibit aggressive behavior..

Last edited by jtur88; 06-13-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,500,209 times
You can find the article in Time. Spanking just to discipline briefly possible. Beyond that too much.

I do believe some of this time out behavior mod of the last 2 decades has produced some of the behavioral problems we have today.

Thinking about it time out was phased in as I was becoming teen and in the last 10 years you can't even defend yourself against a bully otherwise you get expelled too.

What are we teaching kids? Speed dial helo parents?

Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 PM

703 posts, read 871,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I had two boys, both were well behaved and listened to me when I spoke. I never spanked them. The older boy was hyperactive and very bright and he got routinely spanked (think beatings) to make him behave and then he got spanked to make him stop crying (I'm talking about from five months old and on). He committed suicide after struggling for years with depression and anxiety. He was not violent in any way and nor was his younger brother who never got spanked because he was not hyperactive and was an easy kid. He grew up as a well balanced and very pleasant kid.

I am not in favour of spanking, beating and harsh punishment. How does one train a puppy? Beating it into submission will produce a badly mannered dog with aggression issues or timid behaviour. Train a puppy with firmness and kindness and it will become a well mannered, well behaved and well disciplined dog.
I completely agree with you. We're over the caveman days and just to tack on to what I said before, and as reiterated, it's rural, backwoods punishment. All the parents I know who did it were poor, highly uneducated, rural, and in my eyes, didn't seem fit to raise kids, but whatever. Someone from Daniel County, Montana is going to slam me for saying this.
No, really...
I saw this form of punishment a lot in rural areas.
Not so much where I now live...
They are formal, well-mannered, educated, suburban parents.
Remember, you can't apply 18th century morals to the 21st century.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times
And what about the brats who grew up without a good spanking???

For the last 30 years or so it's become a bad thing to spank or discipline your children, but I certainly have not noticed the change to result in better behaved children or better-adjusted young adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology