Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM

417 posts, read 867,820 times

Advertisements

I have known several people over the years who claim they have a mental illness and take medication to treat their depression. Problem is, all of these people are still depressed and never seem to nail down that perfect drug or perfect combination of drugs to cure themselves or treat the illness to the point they can say they are less depressed. This is because there is no cure for a mythological illness, I think depression is simply a copout and making people into legal drug addicts on meds that can many times make matters worse up to and including suicide. Get clean, its not working. There isn't a cure because its a state of mind for those who believe a pill can make them cope with life, the answer is within and requires belief in oneself and the power of their minds.

I don't believe in the myth of depression, the biggest mental health problem of our time. The problem is a lack of initiative, looking for an easy way out and buying into the 'chemical imbalance' BS. I call BS.

Discuss...

Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
No discussion necessary, you seem to have it all figured out but it appears you have no personal experience with depression or any other "mythical" physical or mental illness.
When you do have that experience you will understand exactly what others are talking about.
My Mother is handicapped but she has no "outward" signs that she is handicapped. She does not use a wheel chair, cane, crutches or walker so her appearance would not tell you she is handicapped.
Does this mean her physical handicap is "mythical" just because you cannot see it and you do not understand it?
The answer is: No it is not mythical because you have no experience with her handicap or many others that cannot be seen.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No discussion necessary, you seem to have it all figured out but it appears you have no personal experience with depression or any other "mythical" physical or mental illness.
When you do have that experience you will understand exactly what others are talking about.
My Mother is handicapped but she has no "outward" signs that she is handicapped. She does not use a wheel chair, cane, crutches or walker so her appearance would not tell you she is handicapped.
Does this mean her physical handicap is "mythical" just because you cannot see it and you do not understand it?
The answer is: No it is not mythical because you have no experience with her handicap or many others that cannot be seen.

Ive been depressed though life's ups and downs. I just don't think a person who has depression can effectively evaluate depression because they have resigned themselves to having an illness. If I saw people who have taken a medication to get better, perhaps id believe. I took an antibiotic to get rid of a tooth infection, its gone and I have moved on. Depression meds don't seem to be there yet and its all a big experiment. Makes me wonder if its an illness at all.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
From what I understand there are two kinds of depression: exogenous and endogenous. One stems from the person's own experiences, like grief. The other is a problem with the chemical balance in the brain, the neurotransmitters are not working right.

As you can tell, I don't have a deep understanding of the illness but I don't think anyone understands it completely. It can be a serious illness though if it's the type that involves the chemical imbalance.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:59 PM

Ive seen lots of very very angry reactions to any notion that it isn't an illness, dismissed as "you don't get it, you are stupid, do your research etc." My problem is that neither they, the doctors, big pharma or the mental health community gets it either. Big pharma keeps making money though.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Abilify Commercial Parody: Abilifraud - YouTube

Old 02-27-2014, 06:03 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Depression is a real illness. The doctors are the fakes. Many doctors seem to just prescribe the medication and then think that's it. They don't bother to try and figure out the root cause. While this may be fine for people who just have a chemical problem, many times the cause is environmental.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:05 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Ive seen lots of very very angry reactions to any notion that it isn't an illness, dismissed as "you don't get it, you are stupid, do your research etc." My problem is that neither they, the doctors, big pharma or the mental health community gets it either. Big pharma keeps making money though.
Maybe because there are thousands of studies proving a chemical/physiological imbalance.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:17 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
Totally agree with your premises, OP.

Depression is simply a "disease" manufactured by the drug industry.

Most people aren't too reflective, and buy it, hook, line and sinker.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I am NOT a depressed person, as in EVER.

However, for a year I had "something" very wrong, hormones?
I would tell myself...money is great, my relationship is great.check check check, yet I
kept spiraling deeper into some kind of pit.

Amazing. My friends did an intervention and got me on an antdepressant.
I stayed on it for 6 months, it worked. I got off it myself.

I had a Divine Visitation, the Doors of Perception were opened...lasted 5 hrs and have been great ever since.

Depression has no rhyme or reason...makes no sense...it is chemical.

Sorry, from one who knows both sides...actually 3 sides, normal , depression and Cosmic Consciousness.

Edit: I will mention again...never listen to someone that doesn't know.
(Speculations are speculations and a waste of everyone's time...value your God given
power of discernment.)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 02-27-2014 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology