Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times

Advertisements

i had a very similar schedule when i was 27-30 too,,
id take nodoz , and suck down the coffee...

the problem is,,,you almost become a zombie,,, the days run together you are a fatigued robot,,

so you dont crash and burn,,, try to get one night or day where you can sleep longer hours..

ive got sleep issues,,only get 4-5 a nite,,it sucks..but i worry too much about bills, and other stuff..
thank god for coffee..

you will need time a few hours for yourself somewhere,,,you will need an escape...for a few hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:51 AM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I normally only get 5 hours of sleep on a good day . I just do not get how people sleep 6 to 10 hours a day?
I have needed 8-10 hours most of my life. As I get older that need seems to decrease and I also seem more able to catch a short nap if I feel the need, which historically has been impossible for me. I can have a day here and there with 6 or 7 hours of sleep without feeling too impaired, but as a knowledge worker (software developer) I need to keep a sharp mind and pampering it with sleep is one of the priorities I've just had to have. I always aim for (and usually get) 8 hours.

Some people can get by on as little as 4 hours of sleep, but they are outriggers. I know someone with chronic anxiety (lifelong) who sometimes doesn't sleep at all and seldom gets 8 hours or uninterrupted sleep. They are burning out physically and will probably die young.

At the other end of things, working endless hours is not sustainable either. Businesses have learned (empirically, even if they don't always practice it, especially here in the US) that you simply can't get more than 7 or 8 productive hours out of people in a day other than in rare, short, well-managed bursts. Even if people get enough sleep and care about their work, their personal life bleeds into their work day, they end up monitoring their kids, going to doctor appointments, running errands, catching up on online shopping and social media, etc., during the work day. Their personal relationships / family dynamics suffer and they lose focuse because of that, too. Chasing the mythical 10 or 12 hour work day is a fool's errand.

It is far better to develop techniques for maximizing your focused productivity during a reasonable number of work (or study) hours, with a reasonable amount of sleep. For most people, a reasonable amount of sleep is at least 7 or 8 hours consistently. If you're single and unattached you can do more work but too much work and too little play will still make you a dull boy (or girl) You need play as much as you need work. And you still need the sleep, regardless.

Just because America is the Land of the Zombies doesn't make it right.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I will only be getting 4 hours of sleep om nights have class and on Wednesdays night I can go right to bed when i get home seeing I have Thursday off I can get up eat a good breakfast and go the the library and put in work. On the nights i do not have class I can try to get 5 hours of sleep so it will not be that bad.

It is just going to be three days for 18 to 20 hours days in a row.

I am just sick of life passing me by and feel like a loser with noting going for me . I am 30 it is time to get a real job.
I believe you mentioned on another forum that you work retail.through. I worked retail for many years and
I totally understand what you are going through. The jobs in retail are not difficult but they can become soul draining and as well as very monotonous. There were days I would think to myself, as you are now, what I am doing here? I can do better than this.

I know you want to be a nurse. Go for it. There will be naysayers that will tell you that you should not go into nursing. Ignore them. If you have a passion for that type of work and are willing to do anything in pursuit of that goal, you will have find a job. I know several people have gone into nursing and have stable careers. One person I knew had to travel 4 hours and into a different state every weekend to work 3, 12 hour shifts. She did that for well over a year. Finally, within 6 months ago, she finally landed a job 20 minutes from her home with decent hours.

Good luck with your goals.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I need between 8-10. I work a night shift retail job so I am lucky to manage 5 hours. I sleep all day/night on my two nights off though.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,482 times
I used to work with very high energy, highly organized persons. Four hours per night is not rare. I met a fellow who got two and one half hour to three hours per night. He was very organized, completed all tasks he set his mind to, didn't suffer with fatigue, and made it a lifestyle. Each person should have a framework for sleep. I used to admonish cutting back 1/2 hour until a person needed more sleep, then adding 1/2 hour and stopping there. The 8 hours per night is a myth. Get as much as you need, and get up when you are refreshed. The KEY is maintaining this schedule into the future. There is no need to catch up. There is only a need to maintain the schedule.

Alaskaboy suggested there is recent research on the long-term effects of insufficient sleep. I would appreciate this material being posted, so it may be critiqued herein. I had been using the most recently published research for my work, and it was carried out very nicely by the persons who used these recommendations.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:16 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
I need a solid 8 to 9 each night. If I have even one night of six hours, I will feel like crap all day and have to make it up soon. Some people tolerate less sleep. Each person is different. However, there is mounting evidence that shorting yourself sleep will have long-term negative health implications, especially if your are chronically sleep-deprived. It's one thing to buckle down for an occasional crunch time or deadline. It's another to do so year after yr.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,887,429 times
There's a short-sleep gene, but I'm in the majority without it. In fact, I probably do worse with less than the 7-8 that most people need to function best. Like today, my thinking and mood noticeably go down.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:21 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Well like i said if i get too much sleep like 7-8 hours i still fell sleepy. I can live off of 4-6 hours just fine if it is what i got to do.

Next Monday classes start so I will see how getting up at 5 am to study on these three days goes. I figure if i get home at 10:30 pm and eat shower and go to bed around 11 pm it will give my enough sleep I hope. It just make those three days long a heck but it going to be worth it.

It is like i say if i die it not like i had much to live for in the first place so if lack of sleep kills me oh well.

I will be getting 5-6 hours of sleep on other nights so it not that bad.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:37 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
If I don't get a minimum of 7 hours I'm toast. I prefer 9-10.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I just recently spoke with a guy who says he goes to bed around 1-2 and gets up at 6 am. He works as a mechanic, so he isn't just sitting around all day, he is actually working physically. He says he doesn't need more sleep.

His dad lives on the east coast and they are texting until it is about 2am East Coast time almost every day. Apparently his dad hardly sleeps either. They don't have insomnia or anything, they just don't need more sleep.

So it must just be a genetic thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology