Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times

Advertisements

SO I decided to turn this life around now it time to work my tail off to be successful and noting will stop me. I currently have been going back to college and it going good so far. I work full time 40 hours a week and often take two classes at a time.

Spring quarter I am taking intro to chemistry and that is it. I have class from 7:50 PM to 10 pm every mon,tue,wed.

I work mon,tue,wed,fri,sat 10 am till 7pm .

So on the days i have class I get off at 7 pm go to class get out of class at 10 pm get home by 10:30 pm take a shower ,eat, take a second to relax it is 11 pm .

I cant decide if i should I study from 11 pm till 2 am then go to bed than wake up around 7 am to 7:30 am.

The other option is go to bed at 11 pm wake up at 4 am or 4:30 am study until 7 am , 7:30 am .

I try to go for a run every morning so I have to do find time to do that.

I am going full blown hunger games on my competition this year and am willing to give up everything to get a 3.8/4.0 this year. That means if I have to give up dating , friends , family , TV, Xbox ,drinking, partying, sports, working out , meeting new people, sleep , sex, going out , and everything I once enjoyed to get to my goals. Living on 3-4 hours of sleep working until I pass out so be it.

Well I am 30 and feel like I am not successful at all. I'm constantly tortured by a sense of failure. I feel like I've failed in terms of what my potential is. The desire to feel like i am not a loser drives me. I don't know if that's the healthiest thing—to be motivated by a fear of hating yourself, but it helps.

Sacrificing sleep to become successful and not dating making time for people , giving up every thing not related to work or studying.
its an exhausting lifestyle , and i always said sleep can go .its not important to me now.

I normally only get 5 hours of sleep on a good day . I just do not get how people sleep 6 to 10 hours a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
SO I decided to turn this life around now it time to work my tail off to be successful and noting will stop me. I currently have been going back to college and it going good so far. I work full time 40 hours a week and often take two classes at a time.

Spring quarter I am taking intro to chemistry and that is it. I have class from 7:50 PM to 10 pm every mon,tue,wed.

So on the days i have class I get off at 7 pm go to class get out of class at 10 pm get home by 10:30 pm take a shower ,eat, take a second to relax it is 11 pm .

I cant decide if i should I study from 11 pm till 2 am then go to bed than wake up around 7 am to 7:30 am.

The other option is go to bed at 11 pm wake up at 4 am or 4:30 am study until 7 am , 7:30 am .

I am going full blown hunger games on my competition this year and am willing to give up everything to get a 3.8/4.0 this year. That means if I have to give up dating , friends , family , TV, Xbox ,drinking, partying, sports, working out , meeting new people, sleep , sex, going out , and everything I once enjoyed to get to my goals. Living on 3-4 hours of sleep working until I pass out so be it.

Well I am 30 and feel like I am not successful at all. I'm constantly tortured by a sense of failure. I feel like I've failed in terms of what my potential is. The desire to feel like i am not a loser drives me. I don't know if that's the healthiest thing—to be motivated by a fear of hating yourself, but it helps.

Sacrificing sleep to become successful and not dating making time for people , giving up every thing not related to work or studying.
its an exhausting lifestyle , and i always said sleep can go .its not important to me now.

I normally only get 5 hours of sleep on a good day . I just do not get how people sleep 6 to 10 hours a day?

I need about 6 to 7 hours a sleep a night to be fully rested. Of course I can get by with 4 to 5 hours, but the lack of sleep eventually catches up to me. If I don't get that much needed deep REM sleep, I find myself to absent minded. I forget things quickly, and I also become irritable.

Only you, OP, can determine if this is the lifestyle you want to have as you go back to school. I personally thinking that you are sacrificing too much especially your physical and mental health.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM

166 posts, read 278,472 times
I never seem to get enough sleep!! The only way I can feel rested is if I get 10 hours of sleep, and even then my energy usually comes in around nighttime (when I need to go to bed). It really sucks because my mind seems to think sun going down=time to be awake. I've learned to live with it and I accommodate it by eating a really heavy breakfast and a light lunch filled with vitamins for extra energy (I'm low on iron). Coffee honestly gives me some energy but makes me tired later. Hope I helped!

Sometimes I just fall asleep as soon as I'm done with my homework from school (there's still daylight left) and wake up around 4 in the morning and go on the computer.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:53 PM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I need about 6 to 7 hours a sleep a night to be fully rested. Of course I can get by with 4 to 5 hours, but the lack of sleep eventually catches up to me. If I don't get that much needed deep REM sleep, I find myself to absent minded. I forget things quickly, and I also become irritable.

Only you, OP, can determine if this is the lifestyle you want to have as you go back to school. I personally thinking that you are sacrificing too much especially your physical and mental health.
^^^This. As someone who wants to be a nurse, I'm not sure how the OP isn't aware of the importance of sleep as well as the detrimental effects a lack of sleep, and a lack of everything but work and studying has on the mind and body. There's only so much you can sacrifice before the very body you rely on for everything, gives out.

They were even talking in the news last week about how there is an increase in accidents the day after the time change and moving clocks forward.

Here's just one example of the effects of lack of sleep, from WebMD: 10 Surprising Effects of Lack of Sleep

Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,644,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post

I will only be getting 4 hours of sleep om nights have class and on Wednesdays night I can go right to bed when i get home seeing I have Thursday off I can get up eat a good breakfast and go the the library and put in work. On the nights i do not have class I can try to get 5 hours of sleep so it will not be that bad.

It is just going to be three days for 18 to 20 hours days in a row.

I am just sick of life passing me by and feel like a loser with noting going for me . I am 30 it is time to get a real job.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM

255 posts, read 407,469 times
I need to get at least 8 hours of sleep or I feel like crap, but if I get too much sleep I also feel like crap. Sometimes I'll have nights where I just can't sleep and then when I finally do I'll only get a couple hours. The next day I can either be laughing too much or I feel emontional. I had one of those days yesterday where I couldn't stop laughing. All someone did at work was drop a bolt and say: "Oops!" and I laughed for a good five minutes. It doesn't take much to set me off when I am that tired. But I can also get emotional. I'm not someone who cries easily, it usually takes a lot. Two weeks ago I had one of those nights I couldn't sleep and then next day I heard Butterfly Kisses on the radio and I got all teary eyed. I like the song but normally it doesn't make me like that.

So I need sleep so I can be a normal person. Either I'm emotional or I'm laughing too much.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:48 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,982 times
NO YOU CANNOT!!!!! I did this for a few years and am still suffering the consequences badly. A major study on chronic lack of sleep just came out and they found the health problems associated with a chronic lack of sleep ARE PERMANENT!!! And the latest study includes that we loose permanently up to 35% of our brain function, including early onset Dementia, memory loss and slowing cognitive response that never goes back!!!

The theory before was that you would bounce back once regular sleep patterns were reinstated and they found this is entirely untrue. If you work, or set yourself up in a position that creates a long term sleep shortage, you are basically killing yourself.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:48 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
I work full time, go to college full time, have a house and an active dog, go to gym and have hobbies.

All that while sleeping 9 hours per night. If I try to sleep less, it works for 1-2 nights, but then I have to go back sleeping 9 hours.

I tried to go to bed early and get up at 1 am and study for a while and go back to bed and then get up at 7am and sleep during lunch at noon, but that just doesn't work for me.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:51 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:

Well, either slow down on your classes and have more of a social life or keep doing what you are doing and just think that these few years of no life will be worth it.

I would go nuts to do what you do. I do most of my classes online, so I can squeeze life in between homework and studying. As long as you don't have kids who constantly interrupt and need your attention, it is all doable IMO.

And I do all my schoolwork on week days and reward myself with school free week ends.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:14 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:

I find it weird that at this point in your academic career you have to make a conscious choice to give up dating (according to your posting history here, you weren't dating anyway), Xbox, and drinking/partying. That's just a given for most people in your position: working full time and going to school. If you're still losing precious time to Xbox, I would suggest you've become compulsive about it. Compulsions can be overcome, but it takes effort, just fyi.

Your motivation isn't healthy, and it's driving you to make reckless, self-destructive decisions. The better path for you would be:

1. Get counseling for your psychological issues. If your school has a counseling center, take advantage of it. It's free.

2. Dial back your schedule. Do you take classes in the summer? If not, drop back to 1 class/semester, and start including summer semester.

It's impossible to get by long-term on just 3-4 hours of sleep. Even on 6 hours, your reactions slow, your thinking and memory become impaired. AAA says you're not a safe driver, living on just 6 hrs. of sleep daily. 3-4 hours is downright irresponsible. Not only will it affect your mental health, you'll be living on stress hormones chronically. That means a high risk of health problems medium and long-term, but also it means you won't be able to perform well on your tests in school. Your memory won't be able to function. This is self-sabotage.

Get help. You'll find eventually that you'll be making better decisions, thinking more clearly and sensibly, and you'll be happier. You're making yourself miserable, and cutting back on sleep will only make it worse. You're your own worst enemy. Do something about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology