Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Ever see "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"? How he "zones out" into fantasies all the time? Well, that is kind of me. My mind is so scatter-brained and my dayrdreaming life is so alive that I am rarely bored. When I take the bus I just look out the window and after saving the world from the Galactic Empire, having a three-some with Emma Watson (after convincing her she's not a lesbian) and Sasha Gray, being a terrorist, catching a terrorist and killing my boss who turned out to be necromancer, I'm suddenly at work.

I can walk around for hours with my mind stimulating me enough to not need to seek things out. But when I do, I usually like things that actually make me move, like boxing or snowboarding.

Being insane comes in handy sometime: my mind is so alive, it never leaves me bored
I've read the story but haven't seen the movie. You should try writing if you have all these daydreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 11:32 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I've read the story but haven't seen the movie. You should try writing if you have all these daydreams.

I've thought about it and I always thing of this:

Old 05-05-2014, 10:07 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Interesting points of view on here. You all sound like pretty low-maintenance people. I've always thought those who always have to be entertained are a bit high-maintenance.
Good point about being high maintenance. For some, it's how they were raised because some parents believe it's their duty to constantly ensure their child is entertained and therefore do not allow the child to learn to be imaginative and create their own activities.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:48 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I am also annoyed by the people who have this weird pressure to always have something "fun" planned and who want to put that pressure on me.
What are you doing this weekend?
What do you have planned?
What are you doing on your day off?

They can't seem to accept when my answer is something like "I'm just gonna relax" or "I'll just play it by ear." Sometimes I just make stuff up like "going to Home Depot to find a saw that can cut through human bones" or "rotating the bushes in my backyard" or "nudist skydiving."

And heaven forbid if it's a holiday weekend like Memorial Day or July 4th and you don't have detailed plans involving cookouts, drinking and fireworks and things that qualify as "fun" in their book. I'm like, maybe I'll cook something on the grill, do some laundry and yard work, and think about those who fought and died for our country, but these people just blink, and say "but what are you going to DOOOOO?

I realize most of them have kids, and was we've talked about in lots of threads, the lives of kids today are overly scheduled with all kinds of organized activities, with little time to just hang out and have creative fun, so I guess their parents are that way too. For example, my sister (a mother of 3) has to have every weekend scheduled from Friday evening till Sunday night for all their family activities. One recent weekend after street hockey ended and baseball and track hadn't yet started, and there were no karate tournaments, they had a weekend with "nothing" planned. They panicked. They ended up filling it up with all kinds of day trips to a bunch of places over an hour away, because they couldn't stand to just be home for a weekend. Shoot, my ideal weekend is staying in my pajamas and reading books while playing DVDs. I work hard all week, and I deserve it!

Sometimes I just take a day off for no reason, mostly because I'm maxed out on my vacation time and need to take a day so I can start accruing again. I might enjoy just lounging around, taking the dogs for walks, watching movies, poking around in used bookstores, going online, etc. But people always ask what I DID on my day off, like it has to be something exciting. Not only do they expect me to have done something fun & exciting myself, but it's like they NEED my story to be fun & exciting for them to listen to.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I am also annoyed by the people who have this weird pressure to always have something "fun" planned and who want to put that pressure on me.

They can't seem to accept when my answer is something like "I'm just gonna relax" or "I'll just play it by ear." Sometimes I just make stuff up like "going to Home Depot to find a saw that can cut through human bones" or "rotating the bushes in my backyard" or "nudist skydiving."

And heaven forbid if it's a holiday weekend like Memorial Day or July 4th and you don't have detailed plans involving cookouts, drinking and fireworks and things that qualify as "fun" in their book. I'm like, maybe I'll cook something on the grill, do some laundry and yard work, and think about those who fought and died for our country, but these people just blink, and say "but what are you going to DOOOOO?

I realize most of them have kids, and was we've talked about in lots of threads, the lives of kids today are overly scheduled with all kinds of organized activities, with little time to just hang out and have creative fun, so I guess their parents are that way too. For example, my sister (a mother of 3) has to have every weekend scheduled from Friday evening till Sunday night for all their family activities. One recent weekend after street hockey ended and baseball and track hadn't yet started, and there were no karate tournaments, they had a weekend with "nothing" planned. They panicked. They ended up filling it up with all kinds of day trips to a bunch of places over an hour away, because they couldn't stand to just be home for a weekend. Shoot, my ideal weekend is staying in my pajamas and reading books while playing DVDs. I work hard all week, and I deserve it!

Sometimes I just take a day off for no reason, mostly because I'm maxed out on my vacation time and need to take a day so I can start accruing again. I might enjoy just lounging around, taking the dogs for walks, watching movies, poking around in used bookstores, going online, etc. But people always ask what I DID on my day off, like it has to be something exciting. Not only do they expect me to have done something fun & exciting myself, but it's like they NEED my story to be fun & exciting for them to listen to.
Rep 100 times! This is my family. I love them to death but I just get so annoyed when they expect me to have every waking moment planned and it's like your case, I am supposed to have something "fun" planned all the time.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Good point about being high maintenance. For some, it's how they were raised because some parents believe it's their duty to constantly ensure their child is entertained and therefore do not allow the child to learn to be imaginative and create their own activities.
These are the kids who grow up to be the high maintanence types who need to be entertained and keep up the cycle.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Yeah I get stressed if I have too much planned...I would say I try to entertain myself by posting here, browsing,reading, watching videos, just exploring.etc. I do get bored and restless quite a lot, though. I don't find clubbing or partying all that exciting, aside from brief spurts. Travel is really what excites me most.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I get stressed if I have too much planned...I would say I try to entertain myself by posting here, browsing,reading, watching videos, just exploring.etc. I do get bored and restless quite a lot, though. I don't find clubbing or partying all that exciting, aside from brief spurts. Travel is really what excites me most.
I'm very similar. Traveling is a passion of mine and I save my money for that. I'm okay with exploring, reading, and things like that as they are cheap or free options. Clubbing I've never liked and the bar scene is okay in short bursts. The problem with the bar scene in my town is that everyone drinks to excess and can't function without constantly having a drink in their hand. These are the same people who can't function on a Saturday or Sunday during the day as they were entertained too much the night before and having fun.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:43 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
Every time I have been "down" because of illness or a broken bone, I have made decisions that changes the rest of my life. As soon as I could not plan anything, then more important things were thought of.

People that plan every min of there day are saying that they are not open minded enough to experience new things such as just "playing it by hear".

My favorite days of the week are the ones that I have nothing planned. On those days, I just sit and sketch, day dream, or watch TV, or read, or nap. This time is never wasted. To me the memorable days are these days. If you plan your day then in time the days end up being the same and repeating themselves.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Before I retired I did my best to avoid discussions at work about weekend, holiday, or vacation plans.

Now that I'm retired I've found there are a few retired gals in my community who are the same as the ones at work. They truly believe they have to be 'doing' something every day/evening or they will end up a zombie.

Yet, there are many of us who live our lives according to what works best for each of us; and to heck with those who think otherwise.

One gal I used to hang around with started chastising me because I wasn't a social addict like her and she would make remarks like, "You REALLY need to get out more!", etc. One day I calmly replied that I don't critique her choices and would like her to respect my choices in return.

I used to think there was something wrong with me since I have never been obsessed with "doing"....but then I decided that I am who I am and live my life accordingly. If others don't like it, tough noogies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology