Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times

Advertisements

i rarely plan things. i might go out as a spontaneous move. sometimes i like the bar scene for the people-watching aspect. mostly when i have downtime, i will watch movies, read, listen to some tunes, and drink. maybe i will sit outside and just zone out for a while. i was thinking about having a yard sale to sell some of my useless ****. that will be the biggest plan for the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:51 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
I live in the Entertainment Capital of the U.S./Las Vegas, and my greatest source of entertainment here is reading nonfiction books!

And another source of entertainment, which is free, is walking my ferret on the Las Vegas Strip at night and observing the entertainment-addicted tourists coming here to squander their hard-earned money entertaining themselves!

Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I live in the Entertainment Capital of the U.S./Las Vegas, and my greatest source of entertainment here is reading nonfiction books!

And another source of entertainment, which is free, is walking my ferret on the Las Vegas Strip at night and observing the entertainment-addicted tourists coming here to squander their hard-earned money entertaining themselves!
I'm sure people are entertained by watching you walk a ferret down the Strip.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Before I retired I did my best to avoid discussions at work about weekend, holiday, or vacation plans.

Now that I'm retired I've found there are a few retired gals in my community who are the same as the ones at work. They truly believe they have to be 'doing' something every day/evening or they will end up a zombie.

Yet, there are many of us who live our lives according to what works best for each of us; and to heck with those who think otherwise.

One gal I used to hang around with started chastising me because I wasn't a social addict like her and she would make remarks like, "You REALLY need to get out more!", etc. One day I calmly replied that I don't critique her choices and would like her to respect my choices in return.

I used to think there was something wrong with me since I have never been obsessed with "doing"....but then I decided that I am who I am and live my life accordingly. If others don't like it, tough noogies.
There are certain people I work with who I avoid discussing weekend plans with. I call them the inquisitors. They always seem to think a person should have exciting plans. They're really bad if you miss a work party.

Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,488,806 times
I think I talked about a related issue in another thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/psych...-make-you.html

Basically, I find it essential to have a small but material percentage of my waking life lived with no structure or schedule in order to maintain my "sanity".

Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times
As an only child, I'm used to having to entertain/occupy my own self.
Reading (be it books or nowadays, blogs) is something I do every day, self-education.
Watching tv shows online and listening to music are entertaining diversions as well.

Maintaining, subsisting, making it through another day, is my goal-and anything beyond that is bonus.
My ambition is to enjoy what I can of the life that I have-I value relaxation, comfort, whatever ameliorates tension.

Am agoraphobic and introverted, so dislike going out & groups-occasionally a friend visits me.
My "plans" are modest and practical: dr. appt., grocery store, library, bank.
Social event "plans" (parties or formal public activities) aren't really in my wheelhouse.
By temperament, I'm more of a reclusive observer of life than an adventurous participant in the world out there.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I'm curious how often people are "entertained." I know that entertain is a relative term, but how often do some of you on here have something planned? I have family who seem to think that a person should have something planned all the time. If I have any sort of downtime when I'm not asleep or at work it seems that they always ask what I have planned , what I am doing that day, or what I did all day. While it could be written off as making conversation, they take it a step further to what could almost be considered interrogation. I also know quite a few people who always have to go out to the bars on weekends as there is not much to do in our rural location. I am not that into the bar scene and would prefer to save money for things like traveling or to buy outdoor gear. People seem to think that translates to me not doing anything even though I may have been out in the outdoors all that day.

While I do get like to get out and have things to do, I don't expect to have something planned all the time and I don't mind a little bit of down time here and there. It seems that people deal in extremes on this. Even if I lived in a big city, I wouldn't expect to be entertained all the time as most of that does cost money.

Thoughts on the subject?
We rarely actually plan anything however, our lifestyle is such that we generally cannot plan much in advance. Because of my health and my husbands work planning for us is generally an hour notice in advance if that long. We have a sort of agenda that is more like a guideline than an actual plan.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,907,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I think I talked about a related issue in another thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/psych...-make-you.html

Basically, I find it essential to have a small but material percentage of my waking life lived with no structure or schedule in order to maintain my "sanity".
Yes, I was reminded of that thread too. I tend to not like having plans for the weekend. Even enjoyable plans feel like "something hanging over my head that I want to get over with."

The worst is when I have something social scheduled late Sunday. I feel like it wrecks the whole weekend.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
I live by the words of Kurt Cobain. "I wish I was like you, easily amused"....

Old 05-19-2014, 10:02 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,805 times
In general, on weeknights we have the kids' activities (max of 2 activities per kid), and whoever is not at an activity goes on a family walk/bike ride around the neighborhood after dinner.

Once a week, hubby plays pick-up soccer with the boys. Once a month, I play Bunco with the girls. I have a few friends I may meet up with once a month or so on a weekday - we go get ice cream, or out to lunch, or go to a book signing or even to the ballet.

We generally have one or two things planned on the weekend. That plan might be my kid's soccer game. A birthday party for a good friend's child. One of our board game parties (held every 6-8 weeks). A morning at the zoo or the natural history museum (we're members of both), or, when I'm feeling particularly nuts, a trip to the water park. Hubby and I have season tickets to the local theater, so we see plays 8 or 9 times a year. Occasionally we go to the symphony, or the free concerts the city hosts on Friday nights in April - June.

Every other Saturday, we have a planned trip to the library. The kids have an hour to find new books, explore the games available, etc. On alternate Saturdays, we're doing a park tour. We pick a park we've never been to before, and we all go explore and play for a few hours.

We try to schedule downtime on the weekend too, at least 2 out of the 4 weekends of the month. Time for the kids to play and the grownups to relax. On the weekends we have absolutely nothing (or very little) planned, my 8-year-old goes CRAZY. Since she was born, she has wanted constant stimulation. Now she has a chore chart - if she's bored, she can pick a chore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology