Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I have always been a firm believer in legalizing sex workers. It would really help a lot of men out there.

Why does it seem that this kissless virgin mass shooter problem seem to be mostly an American phenomena? I could be wrong, I follow a lot of international newspapers and sources and I hardly ever here about anything similar unless it's quietly swept under the rug.
i can think of a number of reasons.

1) guns really are much more easily available here than elsewhere
2) this is a very individualistic country - people are atomized and don't have nearly the kinds and numbers of friends that can help them talk abt what's going on inside. but this doesn't explain it entirely - there are other countries that are similar, where you don't see nearly as many mass shootings
3) an inherently violent, hyper-masculinized culture
4) an over-medicated population - we consume among the greatest amounts of psychoactive pharmaceutical drugs. here are some links documenting the connection between SSRIs and mass killings:

The Corbett Report | Medicated to Death: SSRIs and Mass Killings

SSRI Stories

the issue is complex and i'm sure other factors contribute as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times
Legalizing sex workers wouldn't have helped in this case. Rodger thought he was God. He didn't want to pay for it. He was of the opinion that blond women should recognize his awesomeness and throw themselves at him.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:23 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The manifesto is an unhappy read, but at least there he seems a human being and not the lunatic he was in the videos (perhaps taking recreational drugs to psych himself up). You can see exactly how things went wrong, from loving, possibly overindulgent parents, a set of friends, and reasonable expectations of a good life to ostracism from being forced into the wrong social environments and being physically and socially underdeveloped. Divorce didn't help. His life really did end at puberty, like some people on Pua Hate would complain. If he had been raised throughout in a 1950's kind of middle-class town (minus 1950's racism), I think he would have done okay in life. Edit: he wrote about that what-if himself.

Also, I like how he called out a girl named Pollina as the epitome of a bad female. Google her, and I think you'll see he probably was right. Much of the male frustration, I think, is from the more visible, attractive women often being like that.
Like what? She looks like any other selfie-taking girl on facebook, just blends in. These "blondes" he made a big deal about are quite average looking, but they are southern California style. And then, if you look at photos of people in Isla Vista you see mostly regular looking girls of all shapes and sizes and hair colors. Rodger was raised around Hollywood types so he should be used to beautiful people. Most college girls are hardly models, you see them in droopy sweat pants, flip-flops and an unkempt pony tail. This guy was just jealous of anyone having fun or enjoying life in any way. Maybe he saw the beautiful people anytime he saw a young blonde getting attention, which is delusional. These days the beautiful people are more multi-cultural looking anyway.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:48 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
And who do you think has the right to determine what a woman does with her body other than the woman herself? I think you need help.
Yes, everybody before the 1960s and outside of the feminist West "needs help." Ok. I guess I need help then.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Maybe you meant he thought he had a legitimate grudge against the room-mate who he claimed stole a $22 candle, but obviously that's no reason to kill someone, plus the room-mate probably never did any such thing, just further insanity on the part of Elliot.
The roommate had pled guilty to theft. No, that act didn't justify murder.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
What bothers me is people using tragedies like this to push already existing agendas. It's almost like people wait for things like this to happen to say

"AHA YOU SEE(insert talking point about....)"
This^^^^.

This guy was mentally ill and that's the end of the story. He didn't murder all those people because he was a virgin, or because women snubbed him. He killed because he wrongly perceived that he had been victimized and he wanted revenge. Paranoia, sociopathy, psychopathy--whatever you want to call it--he was sick and should have been institutionalized before it came to this.

There's no point in discussing gender roles here. It's like saying little kids can be annoying and frustrating and that's why Adam Lanza shot up the elementary school. There is no causal link--just someone violently acting out based on misplaced rage.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:59 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Napper View Post
any adult who's a virgin obviously has something wrong with him. attracting women and having sex in the whole reason we exist on this planet, to reproduce. if you fail at that, you literally fail at life.

i'd view someone like that as highly suspect and weird, precisely the type of lunatic who'd go on a shooting rampage.
You really need to grow up.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Like what? She looks like any other selfie-taking girl on facebook, just blends in. These "blondes" he made a big deal about are quite average looking, but they are southern California style. And then, if you look at photos of people in Isla Vista you see mostly regular looking girls of all shapes and sizes and hair colors. Rodger was raised around Hollywood types so he should be used to beautiful people. Most college girls are hardly models, you see them in droopy sweat pants, flip-flops and an unkempt pony tail. This guy was just jealous of anyone having fun or enjoying life in any way. Maybe he saw the beautiful people anytime he saw a young blonde getting attention, which is delusional. These days the beautiful people are more multi-cultural looking anyway.
Bubenheim seems to be one of those showy young women who is narcissistic and hostile toward people not on their level, stereotypical of (PUA Hate term) sorostitutes, his intended female targets. I think he was mostly jealous of people who had the specific kind of life he wanted.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:16 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
What I think is harmful and dangerous are people like the OP who make no meaningful distinction between the average "kissless virgin" and the mentally deranged person that committed these atrocities.

The reality is, most of us learn from a young age that we are evolutionary losers and never take it personally. We learn to move on with our lives and eventually enjoy them. But, thanks to the propaganda being pushed by certain people, I won't be surprised if "kissless virgins" are soon rounded up and sentenced for life to be mentally institutionalized in order to isolate them and their "ills" away from society.
This, we've already seen this from one other poster in this thread. The mentality that you are worthless if you haven't gotten laid. It doesn't matter what else is going on in your life. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are. If you are a virgin you might as well kill yourself. This type of mentality is more damaging then anything else. I'm pretty sure this guy caught hell from his roommate for the same reason. Not saying that it's an excuse for his actions. It certainly is not but it would help if some people grow up and realize that being an adult virgin is not the worse thing in the world. You have to wonder if such people have faced real problems in life and dealt with real scumbags out there.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:20 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Bubenheim seems to be one of those showy young women who is narcissistic and hostile toward people not on their level, stereotypical of (PUA Hate term) sorostitutes, his intended female targets. I think he was mostly jealous of people who had the specific kind of life he wanted.
Based on what???! What do you know about this woman? Don't make those slanderous statements about someone you don't know. She is just another young woman. She has a life and friends.

Yes the guy was jealous of people who have lives, so he took a few. But do not blame these women for living their young lives, soon enough they will be getting married and having kids and responsibilities. Let them have their fun. Social media is part of that now. Rodger was a freakin world traveler, he was handed the world on a platter, he blew opportunities right and left to have a great life.

WTF is a sorostitute, is it like a fratstitute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology