Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM

244 posts, read 707,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
Learning new things, finding a career that is helpful for those who need it. Then again, I'm really young and I don't have tons of knowledge of today's world. So the best thing you can do is to expose yourself to new things, learn new things, find out what you enjoy doing. I don't know about having my own family, right now I'm happy that I don't have any stresses of having someone in my life. It's cliché but it's more of the journey which counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 03:31 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
There is a very fine line between being happy and being not happy and we have to keep things in our lives that keep us on the happy side of the fence.

The lowest point I ever had in my entire life was when I went through my divorce, I became someone I didn't recognize, and was very depressed. One day I was coming home from work, feeling very low, and I stopped at a red light. There, crossing the street in front of me were two men in motorized wheelchairs, the kind that paralyzed people use. They were coming back from the grocery store with bags on the back. Even with their disabilities they were still going on with their lives and making the best of them........not feeling sorry for themselves like I was. It wasn't that I felt sorry for them either, I just had so much respect for them and their strength.

It hit me that my troubles were minor compared to a lot of other people's problems, and I bet there were a lot of people who would trade me problems in a heartbeat. It gave me enough of a kick in reality to stop feeling sorry for myself and start being myself again. Sometimes that is what it takes.

Don

Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM

708 posts, read 824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
There is a very fine line between being happy and being not happy and we have to keep things in our lives that keep us on the happy side of the fence.
Without that fine line, no one would be able to appreciate either side. Happiness without sadness would become meaningless in a sense. I think the key is in being able to recognise that you have been in either state before and how it felt when it went from one side to the other. Happiness or sadness is never constant, only the line of constant change between both is.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:15 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I seem to have been born with endless curiosity about people, places and things. In even my low moments I always want to know what happens next.

We are retired, have a little money and a lot of time so there are always new things to see and try.

I have a deep and profound love for the prairie where I live and for all the beautiful gifts of nature.

And I've learned a patient mindfulness - staying in the now and taking pleasure in the smallest of things.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
To be honest, to see what tomorrow brings. I don't look forward to any one thing but I know that if I weren't here I might miss something I'd enjoy.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
pancakes, good buttermilk pancakes, yep that what gets me going

Old 06-04-2014, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
The question to me is why would anyone want to die unless really sick and in pain. Makes no sense at all to me as I love life but do not fear death being a Christian.it reminds me of when I was in military in mid 60's :I couldn't wait to get back to US; family and life.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:18 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,756 times
You always need to have goals.

No matter what they are, you need them... and they need to be positive ones.

I used to not really know what I was living for... it was enough to be alive, hang out with my friends, go camping, skiing, and of course think and dream about the future.

Then I got a job, started making money and started to travel.

I've been to a few places and while it was interesting at the time it wasn't exactly fulfilling because I was always doing it alone. I have sworn off of it for the most part, because air travel is absolutely horrible for the climate and I've really started to hate the entire experience of being a tourist. Recreational travel is inherently selfish and serves the same purpose as watching a movie-- it's all about killing your boredom. Sometimes you contribute to the local economy but typically that contribution is balanced out by the fact that they're accommodating your western high-consumption lifestyle, which is always bad for the local environment... and of course, they don't have the same standards.

Unless you're truly completely invested in what you're about to see and do and willing to be responsible about it, the best you will get is a momentary shock or sense of awe which will arrive usually at the expense of the future of what you are seeing or doing. You can do better things by focusing on your own surroundings and your own community, or creating something amazing in your own back yard.

I think there's always going to be this urge to raise the stakes and keep pushing yourself towards more engaging forms of leisure, but it's never going to be enough and it doesn't make you a better person, in fact it probably just makes you more self-centered.

Right now I'm focusing on a creative personal project (which I suppose is pretty self-centered), but after completely that I want to dedicate myself 100 percent to a conscientious, environmentally friendly and socially positive lifestyle. The most rewarding form of existence I can imagine is knowing you're capable of resisting the status quo because you believe in making the world better. All I really need is to know I'm doing a good thing, living responsibly, and I have someone who loves me.... contenting myself with that shouldn't be too hard.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:55 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
I say this is a troll post. OP hasn't been back in three pages.

I'm even more cynical than OP -- ask anyone on the Las Vegas forum and they'll agree. But I get up every day and not just get through it but kick posterior. Every day. Wake up, kick butt, lather, rinse, repeat.

Why? I fervently believe that my generation is either the last, or the second-to-last generation that gets to do basically whatever we want. We get to eat what we want, drink what we want, and do what we want for a living. Upward mobility is still real (although disappearing fast).

Subsequent generations will live in "survival mode." Just wait until Bangladesh and the good parts of Florida slip under the sea, along with the lion's share of the high-dollar real estate around the world. We are looking at a mass diaspora of humanity never seen before. And those people won't get to eat what they want, drink what they want, do what they want -- and there will be no such thing as upward mobility. Just survival.

I try to live a superior life because that isn't going to be an option in a few decades. Not the way things are going at least. But I do hold out hope that we will pull a "deus ex machina" solution out of our posteriors.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:07 AM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
The scant few people in my life that care about me. That's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology