Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 PM

268 posts, read 648,923 times

Advertisements

Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
I need fulfillment and excitement of some sort. Being with the one I love for example would be one example. Discoveries of different sorts also bring a sense of excitement. Helping in certain areas that I love and seeing the changes in people or how it helps them, brings a sort of fulfillment and excitement.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Travel, number 1, always looking forward to my next trip out of town! Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel, I heartily agree!

Cooking! I have hundreds of new recipes I'm curious to try!

Giving to others! No better high than feeling needed!

Reading! I have tons of books I wish to read before I leave this poor-excuse-for-a-planet!

Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post

The love of and for my husband and kids.

The joy of knowing I have so much to contribute.

The pleasure of the company of good friends.

The peace that comes from the beauty in nature.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 AM

11,031 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Interesting question. For me it has a different meaning having just lost my son who would have turned 28 on Sunday. I want to honour him by living and doing some things for him. Also, I just want to stay alive - I would fight for my life. That even though my life at the moment basically sucks.

I'm looking for ways to climb out of the hole and get back on my feet. I am seeking joy in life. Once I had joy in my family, now that is all gone, my then wife is gone, my older son is dead and my younger son is struggling with drug addiction. I am basically consumed with grief for the death of my son but underneath I still feel the need to be there for my second son, my new partner and for my young great nephew and the extended family in general. I also feel I can make a difference to some young people who might otherwise end up like my late son.

As lovesMountains puts it; "The peace that comes from the beauty in nature. " Very important in my life.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:32 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times
Some people owe me money and I'm not kicking off till I get it.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:46 AM

11,031 posts, read 5,993,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Some people owe me money and I'm not kicking off till I get it.
That's the spirit!

Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,293,496 times
Variety!

Variety is the spice of life. As I get older, I become interested in different things - I change and do new things.

For example someone may have no interest in government / politics when younger. But when they get older, might become a board member of a government committee and tell everyone what they think! (Might be fun doing that later in life.)

Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Variety!

Variety is the spice of life. As I get older, I become interested in different things - I change and do new things.

For example someone may have no interest in government / politics when younger. But when they get older, might become a board member of a government committee and tell everyone what they think! (Might be fun doing that later in life.)
That would be your typical condo board

Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
You have to simply enjoy something about every day and before you know it, years have flown by. A person never realizes how sweet life is until you are laying on a table and some Doctor says "We are going to try to do everything we can for you, but we aren't sure !" Suddenly, life looks pretty great when you do make it and live to tell the story.

But what keeps me really going is the relationship I have with my two grown Sons. Having them in my life makes every day worth all the other stuff I have to go through. Another thing is that I enjoy the little pleasures of life........treating myself to an ice cream at the end of a work day, watching the ducks where I live walk around, an afternoon nap, and just simple things like that. Every pleasure doesn't have to be a huge one, lots of little ones add up to make life pretty pleasant.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology