Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
9 times out of 10, not college material means burger flipping for the rest of your life, figuring out how to survive in a 1 bedroom apartment.
No, there's the trades like carpentry, auto mechanics, etc. Electronics technician. Licensed Practical Nurse. Truck driving like the other poster said. A person who is "not college material" can plug away, struggle, get grades enough to graduate (even if a 2.0 average taking cookie courses), and work a low-level management/executive position. Department manager at a store like JC Penny, Sam's Club, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Burger flipping isn't bad, it's something that many people do.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:03 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I just had to comment on this post.

People need to realize that mental illness is every bit as life altering as a physical one.

If you are mentally ill, every second of your waking life is painful, and most of your sleeping ones - if you get any sleep, that is.

People don't CHOOSE mental illness any more than they choose diabetes. Addictive behaviours like gaming and drug taking are a way to COPE with the feelings, they don't CAUSE them. Gaming blocks out reality so is a coping mechanism and has possibly kept him alive thus far.

I bet your granddaughter and OP never stood about as a kiddie and said to themselves "i want to be mentally ill when I grow up, live in poverty, have zero future, and loathed by everybody", now did they?

OP, you need help, and I mean SERIOUS medical help.

Suicide is never an option - it just passes on the pain to others.

If you love your family AT ALL, you cannot do it to them, no matter how much you may wish to.

Ignore advice like the above that blames you for your condition. Its like blaming a cancer patient for having a tumour.

Also please understand that as you are very young, very unhappy, very inactive and hopeless, you have a lot of ways that you can practically help yourself.

For example, windows always need washing. I've heard of boys who are millionaires by the time they are 25 because they started mowing lawns at 15.

Success doesn't necessarily mean A Paying Job. For a lot of people, it never will. Small business is what makes the world go round and that's something to aspire to.

The first thing, the very first you need to do, is get out of the house and get some exercise, even if its just strolling round the block or to the end of the drive and back. Then, when you get back, get busy finding some DECENT mental health help. Google it, there will be something available to you even if its a Charity.

Don't be proud either. Ask for help, you need it badly. All these steps seem tiny, but they are essential in building yourself a future you can actually look forward to.

Think about volunteer work, also. Your computing skills would be welcome most places, it gets you out of the house.

What you're doing right now is literally starving yourself to death. You have no outside influences to balance you, educate you, stimulate you. Computing is essentially repetitive, and no substitute for living breathing humanity which is just sitting outside your door.

The post you responded to from 60s..said nothing about a legitimate mental illness NOT being injurious or deserving of help. He was speaking of people who are NOT mentally ill, but rather are lazy or addicted or both. And trust me, the system of SSDI is hopelessly over-run with those people. So don't trot out the Straw Man argument, would you please?

Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 PM

424 posts, read 430,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sagain View Post
My god, you sound like my 34 year old granddaughter. Hopefully you are still in your early twenties. Or you will still be blaming the world for your problems as a middle aged loser. She could have written a good part of this letter. Funny how neither one of you see the "common denominator", and that is YOU. the fact that you only want to game, and want to live off disability says it all. I don't believe even a small fraction of people with some of these new age "disabilities" are any more than prescription drug addicts, making their lives useless. Get off your butt, get off your drugs, become physically fit, then and only then will you become mentally fit. The world does not owe you a living. When you get your next job, be better than anyone else that has ever done that job, and you will keep it. Be useless, and you will get fired. Life is really simple until you yourself makes it difficult. There are simple formulas for success......there are dozens of books on the subject, try reading a few! And expect more from yourself. Hold yourself to a higher way of being. WHY OH WHY, are you not working for a gaming company? Or developing games, or learning to program games. Come on, get on with it, you are 100 percent responsible for all of your own problems, now go fix them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Best post, best ADVICE of the entire thread so far. But for some people, getting off their lazy butts and actually WORKING, contributing to society, and getting fit is just too damn hard! Waaah! " Ma--do I HAVE to go to work? Duck Dynasty is about to start!" LOL.

Being IN the sports and fitness--and teaching--fields, it never ceases to amaze, and, alas, sadden me, on how many people get SOO out of touch with their bodies because of crappy diet and sedentary lifestyles. And who don't know how much better they would feel if they just got active and cleaned up their diet. Nature can do the rest! Our bodies evolved to thrive from activity.

Now, this is not to say that some souls do not suffer from legitimate illnesses--both mental and physical. They do, of course. And they deserve help. I'm not one of those Christian Science wackos, or devotees to the absurd book, "The Secret" (magical thinking!) which claims that ALL illness is caused by basically, negative thinking and bad attitude. That's woo. But many many lazy peeps are gaming our social support systems. They are a threat to this system and t the folks who really need it. I never been much of a religious guy--Lord knows (LOL--see what I did there?) but there is one adage I DO believe in: "The Lord helps those who help themselves."

Old 09-05-2015, 03:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
Quote:
Funny how neither one of you see the "common denominator", and that is YOU. the fact that you only want to game, and want to live off disability says it all.
The OP already acknowledged the fact that he/she was the problem and no where in their post did they blame anyone but themselves so how about not being such a fargon ice ho when some pours their heart out.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:21 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
The OP already acknowledged the fact that he/she was the problem and no where in their post did they blame anyone but themselves so how about not being such a fargon ice ho when some pours their heart out.
It's always a sad thing to see someone attack the victim rather than offering comfort.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:37 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
One local McDonald's here is hiring at $11.50/hr. That's more than I got working for the bank just about 7 years ago.

And something else I pointed out once: when you have a job that pays enough for you to get by, pay your bills, maybe save a little bit, does it really matter what that job is? If I had a job that was basically a no stress job that paid me enough to live on, I'd probably take it. I don't live to work, I worked to live. Not having to bring your job home with you, not having to worry about it until you go in again the next morning, and not having it be the dominating thing in your life is the freest feeling in the world, besides not having to work at all.

I have a dozen hobbies and I'd be thrilled to have a job that didn't wear me out, physically, mentally, or emotionally when I got home at night so I could have the energy to go off and do other things. If that job just happens to be flipping hamburgers and it works for me, and I don't mind it, what's the problem? Why do so many other people get such a bee in their bonnet about the type of work other people do? Isn't it enough for them to say they're working? Why do people have to have a million dollar salary and an 80 hour a week job so other people are happy with what they do for a living? Someone not working the kind of job YOU don't want him to work doesn't make that person a slacker or a loser.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Another great answer, but the physical fitness isn't a lie. When you have your health, you have your full strength to face the difficulties of the day, the week the month etc. Your endorphins are high keeping you mentally fit. And when you hit retirement age, that previous youthful fitness will help you come back from all these damned illness and aches and pains of old age. Yikes. Please keep at your physical fitness, nutrition etc.at all costs.
Don't want to turn it into a circular argument, but physical fitness did more harm than good to me.
You get muscled up and energized, but then you're actually capable of inflicting serious damage on others.
That and it still never made me feel happy.

Gave up on that and not going back to it.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:26 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Truck Driver. It's a no brainer job that no one can screw up. Pay isn't to bad either if you're will to be an overnight trucker. Plus I think you can pick and choose when you want to work so if you start to get burnt out you can take a week off.
Based on my ugly experiences with this line of work, DON'T DO IT.
More unneeded interactions with the wrong people than you could think of.
Then of course there's road hazards, inspection facilities scrutinizing every nut and bolt, and vacations being routinely denied.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:19 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Don't want to turn it into a circular argument, but physical fitness did more harm than good to me.
You get muscled up and energized, but then you're actually capable of inflicting serious damage on others.
That and it still never made me feel happy.

Gave up on that and not going back to it.
Were you taking steroids? I ask because when I was lifting weights heavily, that kind of exercise had a tranquilizing effect on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Based on my ugly experiences with this line of work, DON'T DO IT.
More unneeded interactions with the wrong people than you could think of.
Then of course there's road hazards, inspection facilities scrutinizing every nut and bolt, and vacations being routinely denied.
I heard of people with advanced college degrees in truck driving jobs.

Many people on here would find your experiences interesting if you chose to share.

There's a truck stop not far from me. I used to pass it all the time. It seemed OK to me, but one day when socializing with some people I know, someone mentioned there's riff-raff there 24/7. I didn't ask for specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology