Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:57 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Were you taking steroids? I ask because when I was lifting weights heavily, that kind of exercise had a tranquilizing effect on me.

I heard of people with advanced college degrees in truck driving jobs.

Many people on here would find your experiences interesting if you chose to share.

There's a truck stop not far from me. I used to pass it all the time. It seemed OK to me, but one day when socializing with some people I know, someone mentioned there's riff-raff there 24/7. I didn't ask for specifics.
No drugs of any type, it just stressed me out and made me not want to do it any more.
I'm eventually going to have to drive myself to do it and some more cardio for health reasons though.
Along with seriously curtailing my diet some more, the exercise would be helpful in keeping gout pains down.
I just don't care for gaining muscle and looking like some cop or soldier.
Call me a moron, but I wish there was a way to get the muscle workouts done without gaining any noticeable muscle mass.
I guess I just want to remain looking plain.

As far as driving trucks is going, I got fired from my current job due to some garbage reason.(taking a short nap while the tanker was loading).
I'm angry about it, but all I did after was put in apps elsewhere and managed to get three calls from three places after.
Not the end of the world, but demoralizing until I'm back in the game, shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 04:55 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Call me a moron, but I wish there was a way to get the muscle workouts done without gaining any noticeable muscle mass.
I guess I just want to remain looking plain.

Low reps with weight that is heavy for your strength. I think power-lifters frequently use a weight they will struggle to do 3 reps for after they are warmed up.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:37 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Low reps with weight that is heavy for your strength. I think power-lifters frequently use a weight they will struggle to do 3 reps for after they are warmed up.
I'll jump on it gradually.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times
I'm back. I thought someone deleted this thread so I didn't visit for a few days.

I was offered a job two months ago for financial advisor which sounds like a really fun job and with great pay for the first 6 months. But I need to pass the insurance license exam and the investment license. If I get hired, I could earn enough to rent an apartment on my 2nd month. The insurance license was online and 40 hours and I was expected to get it done in a week. But the material was hard to grasp, and took me longer to complete. The longer the course, the weaker my commitment. I want this job, but I have issues with motivation and remembering to do things. And with ADHD, it's very difficult to stay focused on one thing and be motivated to do things I have difficulty focusing on.

I also had a counselor call me and required a career evaluation so my appointment is next week to discuss my career options which I have to be picky with because I don't have time to fool around because I need an immediate job instead of going to college for 4 years with the risk of the major not working well

Old 09-11-2015, 03:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I'm back. I thought someone deleted this thread so I didn't visit for a few days.

I was offered a job two months ago for financial advisor which sounds like a really fun job and with great pay for the first 6 months. But I need to pass the insurance license exam and the investment license. If I get hired, I could earn enough to rent an apartment on my 2nd month. The insurance license was online and 40 hours and I was expected to get it done in a week. But the material was hard to grasp, and took me longer to complete. The longer the course, the weaker my commitment. I want this job, but I have issues with motivation and remembering to do things. And with ADHD, it's very difficult to stay focused on one thing and be motivated to do things I have difficulty focusing on.

I also had a counselor call me and required a career evaluation so my appointment is next week to discuss my career options which I have to be picky with because I don't have time to fool around because I need an immediate job instead of going to college for 4 years with the risk of the major not working well
I'm wishing you luck man.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

Good for you! You are a survivor, don't lay down and quit, and don't quit because it gets tough. Sounds like you have been making plans and finding your own answers, meeting with a counselor can be a good idea, there are career choices out there that don't require a college degree. Is there anything else you can do to deal with your health? There are options that may be open to you that can help you over the rough periods that your adhd acts up, why not look into it? Best of luck to you and let us know how it's going. Now go finish that insurance course so you can start working.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM

218 posts, read 214,319 times
See, all swell that ends well. If you ask anyone in their nineties, that pretty much always happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology