Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM

112 posts, read 103,471 times

Advertisements

I am 43 and can pass for 28. Sometimes younger...but generally I think I look @ 30,
I am slightly "overweight" but still have a nice shape, I have men check me out almost daily.
( not bragging) just descibing myself...and I am very youthful...
HOWEVER, when I turned 24 it was a nightmare for me, I got very depressed because I didnt want to be a quarter of a century, it seemed like a NIGHTMARE!!
My next nightmare after that was 35...it seemed soooooooo old, even tho I still passed for 20.
I hated turning 40,
and now I dread 45.
YESSSS I am grateful!!! I practice mindfulness and appreciate every little thing, but age is HUGE to me, and always will be
It hurts to get older and I would never lie about it...
I wanted to stay 18 forever! You are not alone, but please try to find joy no matter what.
((hugs))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 05:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Soooo I'm 24....but ever since I've turned 24, life just feels short and things like getting married and "falling in love" seem more and more insignificant. I just feel a sense of urgency to get my life in order and be more self-reliant. Falling in love sounds GREAT in theory, but by the age of 30, or 25 for that matter, the LAST thing i want to be thinking about is what guy didn't like me back or other relationship issues.

Has this happened to anyone else? I'm sure I'm not alone
Had my QLC nearly 30 years ago. It started when I was 24 and lasted ... well ... nearly 10 years.

Don't do what I did.

I looked at my life and compared it with the way people did it back in the 60s and 70s ... big mistake. I also compared it with how the other young adults in my cohort who had such well detailed life plans at the age of 15 or so did it. Also a big mistake. I was not them and I was not one of the Boomers hitting such ages during the 60s and 70s.

To be fair to myself, how could I have known, though. I was a bleeding edge Xer. So called adult life was changing right at the time I hit that stage, and the landscape you Millennials have inherited was rapidly being formed. Early career troubles/underemployment/stagnation, Boomers clogging the promotion path, escalating costs of eduction and housing, etc, etc. Oh, and massive structural disruption in the economy, as jobs Americans actually do want to do were offshored and outsourced.

In any case, my advice to you now, don't try to look too far into the future and for heaven's sake don't live a predetermined script.

All the supposed adult "milestones" are less and less meaningful in the current era.

Maybe things will settle down in the future, but as for how long into the future, it's anyone's guess.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay &!* View Post
I'm going through a quarter life crisis right now.
1. I still haven't found a guy that I would like to be with.. still single and the clock is ticking, I swear. I'm 26 btw..
2. While I have a good career to show for.. that's it. Student debt is biting my behind and I'm trying to pay is off in 2 years so I literally have NO savings Meanwhile, my friends are buying their first homes..
3. I don't have a place called "home" or my own sanctuary. I moved away for work and am only there temporarily and every time I come home to my parent's house, I just crashed in the extra bedroom. While my "room" with most of my stuff are in the new state, I don't consider it "MY room" because in the back of my mind, I'm only there temp and I also hate living there -_- Thank god I'm moving in the Spring time.. it sounds really silly but this has affected me for a while now, esp back to point 2 where my friends are purchasing their first homes. like, THEIR home.

I feel like I need to be patient and things will get better but everything just sucks at the time being
RE: Bold text:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRviuL6vMY

Old 12-21-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm almost 30, so maybe I'm in a mid-life crisis? (If the average life span was considered 60 when the term was coined?) I have goals that I feel like WOULD be attainable if I only had a different kind of personality and a more assertive attitude. Right now, I'm a door mat, and, to add insult to injury, I can't move to another state and start over by going to another college and gaining additional skills, because I have student loans to deal with. I'm seriously thinking about re-tooling things and maybe even getting a tutor for the subjects in which I'm really interested. There are possibilities out there, you just have to jump on opportunities when you find them.
It's not a mid life crisis.

It's a QLC.

For many Millies and even a decent percent of Xers mid-life crisis is N/A - 1%er problems.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun06/emerging.aspx

Jeffrey Arnett's theory of a developmental stage called "emerging adulthood," which is theorized to be a result, partially, of social and economic shifts in the past several decades.

Overall, it tends to be a very white, very middle class and up phenomenon.
I disagree with the last sentence.

But the outcomes for other strata are much worse.

In many cases there is a life of crime, violence or both. Or best case, highly disfunctional and abusive family settings.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:26 PM

320 posts, read 283,288 times
Yup...one of the ****tiest yet enlightening things that has ever happened to me and I'll humbly state that I've had a decent amount of feces thrown my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology