Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 03:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times

Advertisements

Learn to accept the hand you're dealt and play that. I know you're struggling, but focusing on the lives of others won't help your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 04:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,879,603 times
Were I in the well-off gal's position, Id've told the person offering to pay for my grocieries, to help someone else, someone in true need of help.
I had money for most of my life, now I don't so I have been on both sides.
When I had aplenty I refused windfalls such as the one mentioned; felt icky accepting something I didn't need.

I hope the well off gal who received this gesture of kindness she did not need, passed it along to a needy person/family/child.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 11-26-2015 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-26-2015, 04:26 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
You may not like to hear this but being lucky is 80% mindset, and unfortunately it's one you don't have at this moment, based on your user name. If you think and feel that way (lowonluck), how can you expect luck to find you?

I'm being serious here...it may be way out of your current experience but I suggest you start to study this concept by reading books from the library. Wayne Dyer would be a good place to start.

I wish you didn't have to buy your dinner on credit but only you can change that. A $160 gift would only be a temporary delay in reality, it's not enough to change much...what you need is a way to change things around for yourself...it will be so much more empowering.

Honestly things don't have to be the way you see them right now. I can say this with absolute certainty but the only one who can change it is you and it starts with your belief system and mindset.

P.S. I would NEVER pick a user name like lowonluck, it reeks of victim mentality. And I only share this for awareness. I am someone who creates every bit of my reality.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:38 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
OP, I understand your feelings and do believe this is not a permanent bitterness/jealousy that prompted this thread. I've felt like this at times, too.

To others: I really don't think this is how OP treats life overall. But, certain times and circumstances can get the best of us. And then it can be quite helpful to vent, if nothing else. Unfortunately, venting to friends and loved ones can be misunderstood - either as a unwelcome call for help, or accepted with general irritation (as it was here). So, forum is a much safer option.

Yes, people do "attract their luck", to a certain extend, yet a lot can not be controlled. Then, a person just does the best they can, and I believe this is likely what she always does. It's just, if she already felt stressed out and powerless, adding this being a holiday (supposedly "happier times", in our minds), hearing this one news just might've pushed her over the edge.

Anyway, it just happened, just random luck. Sure would be great if it did happened to someone who needed it most, but that would be almost too perfect. Life is not that "fair", in general. And we all know that, but can hope for the best and do what we can, in the meantime. OP, hope you will get a ton of luck your way, soon!!

Old 11-26-2015, 04:46 PM

836 posts, read 1,778,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
I hope the well off gal who received this gesture of kindness she did not need, passed it along to a needy person/family/child.
I hoped so, too! Then it could be a string of heart-warming gestures, passed from one to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
P.S. I would NEVER pick a user name like lowonluck, it reeks of victim mentality. And I only share this for awareness. I am someone who creates every bit of my reality.
I agree with the whole post, but then again, I don't think that OP doesn't agree or does not realize it; anyway, she already got plenty of that on here, so I'll just skip that part.

As for P.S.: it COULD be worth changing! (just in case, if nothing else)
You know what my old user name was? ALL_BLUE And I was. And still am, a lot of times. But I don't need a remimder of it every time I write! On the other hand, at the time it could have been a call for help, in a way, as I truly was in a dangerous place, mentally.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:06 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I do not think she was bragging. I think she was just amazed that someone was so kind and she was giving him credit for his gesture of kindness, during this holiday.
Comparison is the thief of joy.

Old 11-26-2015, 05:35 PM

127 posts, read 195,315 times
Sorry to hear that. Most times I don't know why I have such a good luck in life. I try to give a lot of times but I became wary after I spent about $70 buying food and clothes for a homeless guy. The next time I saw him I asked why he wasn't wearing the clothes I bought him and he told me the old clothes yield him better money... Anyways, If knew you were in front of me at the grocery store, I'd paid for your groceries.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverItAll View Post
Were I in the well-off gal's position, Id've told the person offering to pay for my grocieries, to help someone else, someone in true need of help.
I had money for most of my life, now I don't so I have been on both sides.
When I had aplenty I refused windfalls such as the one mentioned; felt icky accepting something I didn't need.

I am sure she will pass it on, if she has not already.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
OP, I understand your feelings and do believe this is not a permanent bitterness/jealousy that prompted this thread. I've felt like this at times, too.

To others: I really don't think this is how OP treats life overall. But, certain times and circumstances can get the best of us. And then it can be quite helpful to vent, if nothing else. Unfortunately, venting to friends and loved ones can be misunderstood - either as a unwelcome call for help, or accepted with general irritation (as it was here). So, forum is a much safer option.

Yes, people do "attract their luck", to a certain extend, yet a lot can not be controlled. Then, a person just does the best they can, and I believe this is likely what she always does. It's just, if she already felt stressed out and powerless, adding this being a holiday (supposedly "happier times", in our minds), hearing this one news just might've pushed her over the edge.

Anyway, it just happened, just random luck. Sure would be great if it did happened to someone who needed it most, but that would be almost too perfect. Life is not that "fair", in general. And we all know that, but can hope for the best and do what we can, in the meantime. OP, hope you will get a ton of luck your way, soon!!
Yes, this.

I just do the best that I can. It just gets frustrating when others have it way easier and then there is me. everything is 2 steps forward, three back. It gets old.

Next year is my year. I won't say it can't get worse, because every time, I have said that...it got worse. 2016 is going to be different. It has to be.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Most times I don't know why I have such a good luck in life. I try to give a lot of times but I became wary after I spent about $70 buying food and clothes for a homeless guy. The next time I saw him I asked why he wasn't wearing the clothes I bought him and he told me the old clothes yield him better money... Anyways, If knew you were in front of me at the grocery store, I'd paid for your groceries.
it is the thought that counts. You are a gem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology