Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:55 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I don't know where you're from, but as someone who has lived in Oregon, Idaho, Minnesota, Indiana and Chicago, I've driven a good number of vehicles in snow over the decades and, in my experience, guys in trucks like the one you describe are far more likely to cause an accident due to overconfidence in their rigs. Some of the best vehicles for most snow in urban or surburban areas are smaller, lighter cars with AWD and relatively skinny snow tires and relatively weak engines. When you have 900lb/ft of torque, there is no way in hades you're going to be able to get even a fraction of that to the pavement in a snowstorm, so your margin of error when modulating the throttle becomes much smaller. A lifted truck also has a higher center of gravity and, almost certainly, more play in the suspension which gives the body some "bounce" while driving. On a dry road, that bounce isn't a big deal. On a slippery one, it can be the difference between a controlled slide and a total loss of control. A careful driver in a 2-ton, 1978 Chevy sedan with summer tires and rear-wheel drive can be safer than someone who is an aggressive or overconfident driver in your rig.

In snow the biggest safety factor isn't the tires or the all-wheel drive or torque, it's the driver.

And because it's lifted, I get decapitated when he rear ends me from tailgating me, great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 03:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Anyone else have a problem with people with vehicles ill-equipped for snowy conditions making commutes longer for everyone else? How do you cope with it? Should drivers with bad snow cars be restricted to the right-most lane or be banned from driving on snowy roads? I have 3 vehicles equipped for the snow all with Blizzak snow tires. The best by far is a lifted turbo diesel 4WD truck with Blizzaks and 900 ft/lbs of torque. Sometimes I imagine driving over curbs and other obstacles to cut through traffic. In life in general, I hate it when slower people get in my way or slow me down, not just in the physical sense. In the summer I have a sports car that can reach the speed limit of most roads almost instantly and I hate drivers with cars that accelerate slowly up hills, they should move over.
You are a road hazard. Another poster called you a bully. I think I agree. In snow, people get to where they need to be however they can. You are equipped for bad weather. Why not offer rides to people who can't get out? Why not be a positive actor instead of a negative reactor. And stop tail gating, if you are doing that. Its a bad habit, especially on slippery roads.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:04 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I had a crappy '88 Bronco (not the Bronco 2). I remember seeing all the idiots who thought having a fancy, late-model 4WD meant they could go the posted speed limit in snow - as I drove past their vehicles after they'd left the road.

I always went as slow as I needed to go. And made sure to wave as I went by with the slow-moving 2WD cars.

Having 4WD didn't mean I should go fast in a winter storm. It meant I could get through deeper snow (and mud) safely and didn't have to dig my truck out. It helped on ice when at least one of my tires got traction, but once you hit a big sheet of ice, there's very little difference between 2WD and 4WD.

Sorry, but I'm not gonna fly down the highway hoping I don't get all 4 wheels on an ice patch.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:10 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Anyone else have a problem with people with vehicles ill-equipped for snowy conditions making commutes longer for everyone else? How do you cope with it? Should drivers with bad snow cars be restricted to the right-most lane or be banned from driving on snowy roads? I have 3 vehicles equipped for the snow all with Blizzak snow tires. The best by far is a lifted turbo diesel 4WD truck with Blizzaks and 900 ft/lbs of torque. Sometimes I imagine driving over curbs and other obstacles to cut through traffic. In life in general, I hate it when slower people get in my way or slow me down, not just in the physical sense. In the summer I have a sports car that can reach the speed limit of most roads almost instantly and I hate drivers with cars that accelerate slowly up hills, they should move over.
Why don't you try oval track stock car racing where your aggression and impatience would be less out of place?

To you the other drivers are "obstacles," to me they are exercising good sense and caution as I try to do on public thoroughfares. My 12 years of stock car racing which culminated in a track championship in my class -- that was a different story!

Don in Austin

Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
You have fun driving like a loon.....Feel free to pass me. I'll see you in a few miles while you're in a ditch. And YES that happens to fancy pick ups where I live. And I drive a large SUV. I have ZERO interest in wrecking my vehicle or you know killing someone.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:29 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You have fun driving like a loon.....Feel free to pass me. I'll see you in a few miles while you're in a ditch. And YES that happens to fancy pick ups where I live. And I drive a large SUV. I have ZERO interest in wrecking my vehicle or you know killing someone.
Actually, that makes me remember something. My one best friend and I were living in my apartment in Jersey while our other best friend was in grad school in North Carolina. We were watching the news one day in the early morning and saw that North Carolina had gotten 18 inches of snow out of nowhere. The news station then showed a montage of 4WD pickups with NC plates hurtling down snow-covered roads, spinning out and flying off into snowbanks.

We immediately called our friend in NC and reminded her that even though she knew had to drive in snow (and her Camry was great in it), she shouldn't go out at all that day. She said "what you think I'm stupid? I'm staying in - do you know what one of those big-ass trucks would do to my car if I got hit?"

Old 12-29-2015, 06:14 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
They are being careful. Keep your distance, listen to the radio, chill out. You'll get there....in one piece. It's almost never too slow when it's snowy or icy. The speed limit is automatically lowered, legally, under such conditions.

Having a vehicle that's good in snow only goes so far. The conditions are still trecherous. I can't count the times I've seen a big "appropriate for snow" truck run a red light because he was unable to fully stop. It was only because I was being cautious at the opposite light, by not heading out immediately on a green light, that avoided an accident.

Going fast is never appropriate in trecherous conditions, no matter what vehicle you have.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,459,091 times
Quote:

Drivers with snow-equipped vehicles and fast cars **** me off more than anything when they tailgate me on the road. I happily drive a 1992 Toyota and I accelerate very slowly, and I almost never exceed the speed limit on any road.

So when people tailgate me, I slow down just for them. If the speed limit is 65, I'll drive at 45 when someone is tailgating. If it's 30, I'll go at 20. This is especially effective on one-lane roads. I've gotten pretty good at blocking when they try to pass me.

In the snow, I'll take it even further. Big ass truck drivers want to show off their ****ty ass driving skills on the snow? What a goddamn joke. With snow I have an excuse to go even slower, so if you tailgate me I'll drive at less than half the speed limit just to **** em off even more.

Don't care about what kind of stuff you drive; I'm happy as long as you don't tailgate me.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Drivers with snow-equipped vehicles and fast cars **** me off more than anything when they tailgate me on the road. I happily drive a 1992 Toyota and I accelerate very slowly, and I almost never exceed the speed limit on any road.

So when people tailgate me, I slow down just for them. If the speed limit is 65, I'll drive at 45 when someone is tailgating. If it's 30, I'll go at 20. This is especially effective on one-lane roads. I've gotten pretty good at blocking when they try to pass me.

In the snow, I'll take it even further. Big ass truck drivers want to show off their ****ty ass driving skills on the snow? What a goddamn joke. With snow I have an excuse to go even slower, so if you tailgate me I'll drive at less than half the speed limit just to **** em off even more.

Don't care about what kind of stuff you drive; I'm happy as long as you don't tailgate me.

This makes you just as bad, dangerous and aggressive as the OP.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Well aren't you just a peach? Relax man and let people drive carefully without you getting your girlie panties in a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology