Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I used to date a tow-truck driver after I moved here. He made a mint off of snow days, usually from people who got overconfident while driving their 4WD vehicles.
This explains why, when I got stuck driving through a snowstorm across western Arizona (to Flagstaff) last fall, all the cars that had spun out and were stuck were all SUV-type vehicles. I almost stopped to overnight about 1/2 hr. short of Flag, seeing that. But after talking to other drivers at a gas station, I decided to continue on. Those of us in little sedans puttering along, sure and steady like tortoises, got through. The tough guy show-offs, along with a couple of big trucks, didn't make it. I never understood why the cars that seemed better equipped for the snow conditions had trouble, but your post explains it.

I saw that on one other occasion, when I ended up commuting home from work through a blizzard. The only cars that were stopped and pulled aside by police and abandoned were SUV's. My little Saturn that I had at the time made it through. Got stuck once, but I managed to wiggle out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:41 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
They are being careful. Keep your distance, listen to the radio, chill out. You'll get there....in one piece. It's almost never too slow when it's snowy or icy. The speed limit is automatically lowered, legally, under such conditions.

Having a vehicle that's good in snow only goes so far. The conditions are still trecherous. I can't count the times I've seen a big "appropriate for snow" truck run a red light because he was unable to fully stop. It was only because I was being cautious at the opposite light, by not heading out immediately on a green light, that avoided an accident.

Going fast is never appropriate in trecherous conditions, no matter what vehicle you have.
In this context driving conditions are, at best, problematic. So I approve of those who show caution.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Anyone else have a problem with people with vehicles ill-equipped for snowy conditions making commutes longer for everyone else? How do you cope with it? Should drivers with bad snow cars be restricted to the right-most lane or be banned from driving on snowy roads? I have 3 vehicles equipped for the snow all with Blizzak snow tires. The best by far is a lifted turbo diesel 4WD truck with Blizzaks and 900 ft/lbs of torque. Sometimes I imagine driving over curbs and other obstacles to cut through traffic. In life in general, I hate it when slower people get in my way or slow me down, not just in the physical sense. In the summer I have a sports car that can reach the speed limit of most roads almost instantly and I hate drivers with cars that accelerate slowly up hills, they should move over.
Oooo. You ARE entitled. You ARE better than anyone else on the road. You ARE the chosen one of God. That is how I read you.

Honestly, I always think that people with vehicles like yours are trying to compensate for something small in their life.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:35 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post

Honestly, I always think that people with vehicles like yours are trying to compensate for something small in their life.
Yes, they definitely are. What they lack in "man hood", they think they have to somehow make up for in vehicle size and aggressiveness. Fails in both areas.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
What I hate in snowy weather is the inbred pick em up truck drivers who can't drive responsibly in the snow and go off the road and make everyone else stop while the tow truck pulls them out of the ditch.

Last winter I was on my way home from work and was held up waiting for a tow truck to pull a 'neck out of the ditch, I turned onto another road on the way home and it is bad for curves so I drove much slower so I would not have to brake for the curves. Of course I had another brain dead pick em up truck tailgating me, when we hit the sharp curves he almost went off the road, if he had not been stuck behind me he would have been in the ditch.

I am sure the OP has had his life saved by someone who has slowed him down on a snowy day because he lacks the intelligence and maturity to conduct himself as a responsible adult.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This explains why, when I got stuck driving through a snowstorm across western Arizona (to Flagstaff) last fall, all the cars that had spun out and were stuck were all SUV-type vehicles. I almost stopped to overnight about 1/2 hr. short of Flag, seeing that. But after talking to other drivers at a gas station, I decided to continue on. Those of us in little sedans puttering along, sure and steady like tortoises, got through. The tough guy show-offs, along with a couple of big trucks, didn't make it. I never understood why the cars that seemed better equipped for the snow conditions had trouble, but your post explains it.

I saw that on one other occasion, when I ended up commuting home from work through a blizzard. The only cars that were stopped and pulled aside by police and abandoned were SUV's. My little Saturn that I had at the time made it through. Got stuck once, but I managed to wiggle out of it.
We had some really nice dinners out with the cash tips he got on snow days

Old 12-31-2015, 08:40 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Its not all about you. Leave earlier or move closer to your job. If you are irritated by something so meaningless, the problem is you, not the "slow" people.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM

233 posts, read 417,937 times
I have no problem with people going slow on the highway when it's snowy....JUST DON'T DO IT IN THE PASSING LANE! (Which they always do)

Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Anyone else have a problem with people with vehicles ill-equipped for snowy conditions making commutes longer for everyone else? How do you cope with it? Should drivers with bad snow cars be restricted to the right-most lane or be banned from driving on snowy roads? I have 3 vehicles equipped for the snow all with Blizzak snow tires. The best by far is a lifted turbo diesel 4WD truck with Blizzaks and 900 ft/lbs of torque. Sometimes I imagine driving over curbs and other obstacles to cut through traffic. In life in general, I hate it when slower people get in my way or slow me down, not just in the physical sense. In the summer I have a sports car that can reach the speed limit of most roads almost instantly and I hate drivers with cars that accelerate slowly up hills, they should move over.

Ah. Not surprising your thoughts, considering your "legendary" sexual prowess that makes an easy lay stay over and not want to go to work the next day.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
So selfish....you want people to drive dangerously in poor conditions because you want to go FAST. ALL THE TIME. Just because. Meanwhile, some of us are mostly concerned with keeping our children alive in the backseat and truly don't give a darn if you hate going slow. You are a big, immature baby. Get over it and grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology