Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 12:09 PM

35,108 posts, read 31,388,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Good post. I have also noticed the need for a lot of feedback and support, a weakness of mine as a manager. I also agree on the ignorance. Yet they think they know everything. They don't seek out mentors and are not modest at all. They have no problem throwing you under the bus to your superiors. Maybe thats an ignorance thing, I don't know, but it infuriates me. I expect the people who report to me to make me look good, and in turn they get rewarded. They just don't get it. I guess I didn't either at 25, but I also wasn't nearly as arrogant or bold.
I think the feedback comes from an abundance of caution, not necessarily a need for validation.

My immediate prior job was on a small team. I was the youngest person by about fifteen years. I worked very closely with my manager at the job prior to that, and if there were problems with anything, it would be evident immediately.

At the last job, the manager was never clear on what the expectations were, he didn't know the job he hired me for, and there was no willingness to let me take on any work. I was basically idle for months before being placed on a PIP without any coaching.

At my current job, I am very legalistic and cautious with everything I do. Yes, I'll request written confirmation and seek approvals on things that probably don't need it, but I act out of caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:40 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,700,561 times
How much can we attribute the millennial's behavior to the idea of nobody wins or loses when they were growing up?

Part of being able to function well in society has to do with winning and losing. Learning how to win and lose goes to the very fabric of our makeup. Competition teaches us how to win and lose gracefully, but those important standards aren't being taught anymore.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,219,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
Gen Z the next generation after Millennials are much better so I dont waste my time with them. I like Baby boomers and Gen Z, Gen X and Millennials are slackards.
Someone with the name FloridaBeachBum calling someone else slackers.

It never ceases to amaze how some people are just to dense to learn from history that every generation criticizes the one that comes after it for only one reason,

the new generation is different from the preceding one.

It's one big high school hierarchy mentality that one would outgrow by the time people get older.

So how valid are these opinions?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:03 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,854,390 times
I dont know what title I am, im 31 and I think these teeny boppers are annoying, selfish little BRATS.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,219,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont know what title I am, im 31 and I think these teeny boppers are annoying, selfish little BRATS.
Why are you hanging around teeny boppers?

Old 11-28-2016, 01:12 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,854,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Why are you hanging around teeny boppers?
Im not but they are alive in the world, i cant avoid them.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:17 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,655,564 times
In my workplace, they tend to be very needy. They ask you a question and require an immediate response, like you do when you Google something.

They seem to have a basic entitlement mentality - want to go on the best training trips, want to rent cars when they travel to training (not allowed by my Govt agency).

I actually had one fellow that would constantly ask me for lint rollers, cold meds, Kleenex. I finally just had enough and told him to call his Mommy, she didn't work here.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:36 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,028,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Right. And being a "go getter" now is so much harder. There's way more competition for jobs that don't pay as much as they did in the past in relation to cost of living. College is ricoculusly expensive, but boomers didn't have to deal wifh that nor did they even need to go to college at all. I get so tired of this generational war that goes on. i'm 32 and in the grey area between Gen X and millennial so I try to be neutral, but the complaining that older people do bothers me.
That's why I work for myself.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm Gen X, have worked with many millennials, been in school with many millennials. Some are great, some are not.
Agree! I work in tech, so it is mostly millennials.

There are some themes though

1. They will riot if they need to dress up for work
2. They think it is normal to get free food and snacks at work, and will complain if their favorites are not in stock
3. "multi-tasking" in meetings is common place, and it is hard for people to stay engaged for even 30 minutes in a meeting
4. They think processes should be changes to suit their needs, and that they can give feedback to anyone on anything
5. Short attention spans

Other observations:
They go out a whole lot less than I did at that age. Lots of homebodies. Fewer millennials have good problem solving and critical thinking skills This can make it frustrating to train them, since they haven't been taught to "recognize patterns" and apply previous learnings to new things. Hopefully they grow out of that.

I have had some awesome millennial coworkers. They take the always connected thing really seriously.....even when on vacation...they seem to want to check work email and slack and so on. They don't really have a concept of work vs personal time. It all blends together.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:22 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,524,208 times
As a baby boomer, think we need a long look in the mirror and see why some (not all) are the way they are. Many boomers have no one to blame but themselves.
And no I have no children.
Husband and I both agreed we would not be good parents. We like being the cool aunt and uncle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology