Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 01:20 PM

41 posts, read 32,341 times

Advertisements

I work with this guy and he never stops talking. He can't go more than 5 seconds without talking, literally. When there is nothing to talk about he will create drama or outrage over something that doesn't matter, it just never stops. We have caught him talking to himself on numerous occasions. Someone else I work with who lives in his apartment complex told me he hangs out front of the apartment complex and talks to anyone that walks by and talks to himself when no ones around. He told us his brother who he shared a room with growing up would always get mad at him for talking in his sleep too.

What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 01:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,279 times
My co-worker is the same way. She's in her 60s and gives our customers insulting nicknames, whines, sneers, and jeers to vent. She acts like a teenaged brat. She talks and talks and never stops. She seems to talk more than she works. I wish I could tell her to shut up.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
That's me...it's a combination of nervous energy and pretty bad ADHD. I gab to everyone and have an almost compulsive need to fill silence (shy guys LOVED dating me, lol). Sometimes when I'm talking fast and too much, I'm actually saying in my head "okay, shut up you're talking too much" but it seems to have a need to come out regardless.

Luckily I'm charming too though and often funny, so more people like me than get annoyed by me, but I am sure some people find me annoying. People I have worked with in the past though say it's never as much fun at work without me there.

I'm going to PT right now because I had back surgery in October, and I am always jumping into conversations with other patients and therapists (if I hear them say "did you see SNL last Saturday?" I'll go "OMG, wasn't it hilarious?", and I'm off to the races.

Unlike SAS318's co-worker however, I DO tell new co-workers they can tell me to shut up, in fact I encourage it.

[CENTER]SaveSav[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-28-2016, 02:52 PM

41 posts, read 32,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
My co-worker is the same way. She's in her 60s and gives our customers insulting nicknames, whines, sneers, and jeers to vent. She acts like a teenaged brat. She talks and talks and never stops. She seems to talk more than she works. I wish I could tell her to shut up.
The guy I work with isn't mean or doesn't insult people often. When I say he creates drama I mean he will gossip about anything and anyone even random people he doesn't know or animals, or turn something that doesn't matter into an imaginary problem, for the sake of talking. It seems like he just HAS to talk and will do or say anything to keep talking. We once all chipped in $5 ($80) if he would go a full 8 hours without talking. About 2 hours in we caught him in the bathroom talking to himself about how he's not crazy and he can not talk if he needs to.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:37 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glegg View Post
like most people, he's a waste of space and oxygen.
Would you be included in "most people"? Just trying to understand your concept, here.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyDaddy View Post
I work with this guy and he never stops talking. He can't go more than 5 seconds without talking, literally. When there is nothing to talk about he will create drama or outrage over something that doesn't matter, it just never stops. We have caught him talking to himself on numerous occasions. Someone else I work with who lives in his apartment complex told me he hangs out front of the apartment complex and talks to anyone that walks by and talks to himself when no ones around. He told us his brother who he shared a room with growing up would always get mad at him for talking in his sleep too.

What gives?
It's an illness. He either suffered a trauma very early in life, or like one of the other posters, has some kind of undiagnosed condition. I wonder if there's a med that could alleviate it, like when people with Obsessive-compulsive disorder find relief from a specific med.

Old 12-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Where is management in cases like this? Isn't this disruptive to the office?

Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
A relative is like this. If you sit next to her at the table on a holiday, she will talk and talk and talk and talk until you are ready to scream. She is a very nice person, but I now try to avoid her. I can't stand that incessant talking. She has always been like this. I think some people are genuinely disturbed by silence.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:03 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
I also have some family members like this. They simply can't abide dead air, and will chatter for literally hours on end just to fill it up.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:26 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,770,781 times
A variant on this is someone who cannot listen. I have a couple of friends who are just horrible listeners - if I say something I get maybe 5 or 6 words out of my mouth and they interrupt and pretty much ignore what I am saying, or try to finish my sentence for me, but get it wrong. It is hard because I like these people otherwise but sometimes they act as if they really don't get a darn what I have to say (or anyone else) and their opinion is the only one that matters. BTW - it is not just me they do this to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology