Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And how else is one supposed to feel when looking at this chair? Happy? Peaceful? Or disgusted, confused, saddened or violated?
Put me down as "weirded out". While the elements don't look anything like the real "thing", it's just a strange-looking sculpture that does nothing positive for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/a...den-works.html

Here's more modern art. Does this evoke feelings of happiness and serenity? If not is it only "art"?

By the way, even happily married mothers are allowed to express feelings other than happiness and serenity.
This is also excellent art. There's a big difference---and yet a fine line---between dark-themed art, like Holocaust paintings, and art that provokes anger or sadness just because it can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 11:25 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, I think if that's your reaction you aren't well versed in art. And that's okay. There are many subjects I'm not well versed on but I think statements like the bolded speak more to the viewer rather than the quality of the art.
I totally agree with that.

Two quotes I love from Picasso (a true genius, even if an insufferable human being - I too cried my heart out seeing Guernica in Madrid as a pre-teen).

"As a child I could paint like Raphael. But it took me years to learn to paint like a child."

And another (I didn't find it in english so please bear with my clumsy translation)

To a lady who told him "Your paintings are like Chinese to me", he softly answered "But Madame, Chinese can be learnt, billions already speak it"

More can be read here :

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo....Pablo_Picasso

If you (general) are interested in contemporary art (different from modern art if we follow a strict definition), or on the contrary are baffled by what passes as art but are curious, look into Pierre Soulages' work. What images you'll find on Google will probably not render anything. He's an artist that works only with the black colour using it to create light and shades.

When seen in real, in a museum that really puts out his work as it should be (working a LOT with how the paintings are positionned with natural and artificial lightening), it's incredible how much light and reflects he creates with what could be seen as "but those are just strips of black paint, I could do it ! Hey, my child could do it".

Having seen a great exhibit in Pompidou Center, I can tell you first hand that his work with "black-ness" definitely made me happy. All I saw was beautiful lights...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Soulages

Last edited by personne; 04-14-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Put me down as "weirded out". While the elements don't look anatomical, it's just a strange-looking sculpture that does nothing positive for me.

This is also excellent art. There's a big difference---and yet a fine line---between dark-themed art, like Holocaust paintings, and art that provokes anger or sadness just because it can.
Well sometimes.

Anger is a valid feeling and sometimes that anger is justified. Art that expresses anger and calls attention to that anger or hurt can also be important. Just because something makes us think and consider instead of making us feel good, does not invalidate it's status as art. That relegatest the purpose of art to mere decoration.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:44 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
When seen in real, in a museum that really puts out his work as it should be (working a LOT with how the paintings are positionned with natural and artificial lightening), it's incredible how much light and reflects he creates with what could be seen with "but those are just strips of black paint, I could do it ! Hey, my child could do it".
Quote:
Anger is a valid feeling and sometimes that anger is justified. Art that expresses anger and calls attention to that anger or hurt can also be important. Just because something makes us think and consider instead of making us feel good, does not invalidate it's status as art. That relegatest the purpose of art to mere decoration.
Responding to both quotes:
In cases of simplistic "strips of black paint" artwork or "angry" artwork, there's another big difference and fine line. Namely, between paintings that make you go "Hmm... " and those that make you go "WTF!? "

Old 04-14-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Responding to both quotes:
In cases of simplistic "strips of black paint" artwork or "angry" artwork, there's another big difference and fine line. Namely, between paintings that make you go "Hmm... " and those that make you go "WTF!? "
But to say that simply because a piece if art doesn't speak to YOU it isn't art but "art" is pretty egotistical isn't it?

If art was only considered good or important or beautiful based on one person's perception, then whose perception do we go with? Yours? Mine? Mapplethorpe's? Art is subjective. As it should be.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-14-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/a...den-works.html

Here's more modern art. Does this evoke feelings of happiness and serenity? If not is it only "art"?

By the way, even happily married mothers are allowed to express feelings other than happiness and serenity.
Of course they are. But it doesn't make a very good "artist life as torture" story. You'll notice that the poster made a point to say the artist was institutionalized and mentally ill. Why? Why is that relevant? Because it SELLS.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Of course they are. But it doesn't make a very good "artist life as torture" story. You'll notice that the poster made a point to say the artist was institutionalized and mentally ill. Why? Why is that relevant? Because it SELLS.
But it wouldn't sell if people didn't find it thought provoking or inspirational. The artists background is important because it gives perspective of the artist.

Again, just because it doesn't speak to you (or me or any particular individual), doesn't make it *not* art.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
It turns into an "industry" like anything that suddenly gets attention from a lot of people... that nature of it is somewhat of a turnoff... follow the money trail.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
It turns into an "industry" like anything that suddenly gets attention from a lot of people... that nature of it is somewhat of a turnoff... follow the money trail.
Is that much different than patronage of the Church or wealthy families? Historically, art was very often limited to the images and messages those sponsors preferred.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:35 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
If this were made by a happily married 30 yr old woman with 2 kids, would the interpretation be different?

And how else is one supposed to feel when looking at this chair? Happy? Peaceful? Or disgusted, confused, saddened or violated?

Let's try "what a bad upholstery job" or "waste of a good chair."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology