Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

I firmly believe keyboard warriors have very little control in their own lives. Their work lives are regimented and out of their control. Home lives, too. The only place where they control things is online. Where they roar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
I'm not any nastier on the internet than I am in real life.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
So true. If a poster posts something that someone else has never experienced - the first response is "you're lying and making things up!" That's because people don't realize that not everyone's life is the same or as perfect as theirs.

This is my view of the Internet - ask a question and these are the automatic three responses:

1. "I've never had that problem, you're lying!"
2. "You're going to die!"
3. "Bananas!"
I've gotten that on here before. It pisses me off.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It may not exactly be that people are meaner BUT the tone isn't as clear as in real life. That said, people can say what they really think behind a silly avatar or a twitter with just an egg though Facebook has idiots under their own picture.
The atmosphere changes completely in forums (usually trade and professional forums) that require use of real names rather than handles.

That leads me to believe it's not a matter of being unable to express oneself tactfully online--because carpenters and plumbers have no more problem being polite in their trade forums than do doctors and lawyers.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
I find it quite the opposite, People are cordial online, and nasty in real life.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:21 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I find it quite the opposite, People are cordial online, and nasty in real life.
I've experienced otherwise. When I'm on YouTube the comments are nasty and racist but people are cordial in real life.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 AM

190 posts, read 167,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The atmosphere changes completely in forums (usually trade and professional forums) that require use of real names rather than handles.

That leads me to believe it's not a matter of being unable to express oneself tactfully online--because carpenters and plumbers have no more problem being polite in their trade forums than do doctors and lawyers.
Many online forums are going to indeed just that - requiring an actual name, either by logging in using a Facebook profile (which is supposed to be a real name), or creating a profile with a real name. Eventually, all forums except the ones set up for unbridled discussion (like Reddit) will probably go that path. Many newspaper and TV websites have had to end or moderate comments due to the abuse.

This forum is pretty well run, in my opinion. There are a few trolls, but they don't overwhelm any conversations and generally stick to one topic or field. I would also add some aggressive posters may act this way to put some excitement, drama, or attention to their otherwise humdrum lives. At least SOMEone is paying attention to them now!

Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Because they can hide- there is no fear of being exposed.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:52 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I've experienced otherwise. When I'm on YouTube the comments are nasty and racist but people are cordial in real life.
You tube does seem especially expressive. I meant communications by email.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I think that's why a lot of newspaper comments forums have changed to make Facebook the default for registering for reader comments. I kind of miss some of the bizarre comments that would be made anonymously, though. They were very entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology