Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
As times are currently we see a plethora of wimpy men with guns. Why are we seeing so many overly emotional men with the inability to rationally see that their own gun ownership is based on an emotional need despite the fact that they are not mentally stable?

We have thousands of pro-gun men that need their "guns for protection" they say but when they are faced with some break-up or some life trouble they use the same gun for destruction. Why the disconnect?

Shooter calls ex-girlfriend as he unleashes terror at pool | KXAN.com

Ohio reserve owner Terry Thompson released exotic animals then killed himself | Daily Mail Online

Maybe the first step is getting men to admit they are the weaker sex mentally? I am proud of the thousands of rational male gun owners who are now saying about the overly emotional, irrational men "enough is enough" and standing up for more conservative gun laws and fighting the NRA leadership and gun manufactures. Bravo to the real men!

We need to keep labeling these gun wimps-"GUN WIMPS" because they use guns in a cowardly manner-shooting innocents and people in the back.

I love your anti gun post hidden as a let's call these people bla bla bla. How about instead of calling them GUN WIMPS call them what they are MENTALLY UNSTABLE . Too bad that guns aren't the problem but the emotionally/mentally unstable person is. What you simply refuse to acknowledge is the problem is the person. Not the gun. But this is the only argument the anti gun crowd can come up with. Take away the guns and more "conservative" gun laws. The only conservative gun laws a anti gunner knows is total ban of any gun. Because that will make us safe. The take away or stop the XYZ hasn't worked too well in anything like illegal drugs, OTC drugs, alcohol, smuggling or any other item or action humans do to hurt one another.

Rational people don't grab a gun when they break up with a person, have someone argue with them, get laid off/fired, or whatever reason these people have to do what they do. I'm a gun owner. I have never found or thought that grabbing a gun would solve my break up or getting laid off. But then I'm rational as to what's happening.
I own guns because I'm really bad at hunting with a spear. And I want the ability to defend my family when one of these emotionally unhinged douchebags decide to walk in and start shooting. Yes I would have no issue helping them take a dirt nap.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:47 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Well, for a person to buy and drive a car they have to be trained, licensed, and insured, and the car has to be registered with the state, which as far as I know is not the case for firearms.
Our checkpoints have proved this false. In some cities up to 2-3 out of 10 drivers don't have a legal license to drive.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:24 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Psychology, Politics - what's the difference?
Um, posting a topic in the correct forum area?

Posting a political topic in a non-political section of the forum e.g. Psychology?

Or do we just not need rules? Or have rules but don't care if they are followed?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In one of my undergrad psychology classes, the prof gave us this scenario. "You want to kill someone. Do you shoot them from a distance, knock them over the back of the head, or strangle them?".

The answer is that most people pick either the first or the second because most people could not kill someone with the victim's eyes looking back at them.

So why the disconnect? Because that is the way most people are wired.
That's an easy one to answer. (I took Psych too.)

It's harder to harm or kill somebody when you are up close. Physical distance is equivalent to psychological distance. When eye-to-eye you cannot avoid considering your victim as a person. Yet in a telescopic gun sight it's just another target.

By the same token, I bet it's easier to kill somebody with a scope-equipped rifle at 200 feet than by a knife to their neck or belly: physical and emotional distance.

Same reason it's easier to flame somebody on the Internet, more difficult to do face-to-face. People wouldn't snark so much if it was likely their target might knock on their front door.

Quote:
REALLY? Is calling people names really the mature way to get things done?

That's why I opine that the OP is so offensive. It's almost as if the OP's author went out of her way to insult men. No, it's not 'almost.' It surprises me that the moderators allow such an insulting post to remain. The OP went out of her way to be nasty IMO.

The more replies that point, that out the more the OP loses. If I wanted to discuss politics I'd go to a political section. I'm discussing politics in Psychology because it's my only venue to show the OP how wrong she is about her wimpy, prejudicial, ill-informed topic.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,567 times
To the OP: Good luck with the 'gentrification' of Texas, or anywhere else where 'men are men', happy, proud & perfectly secure in thier masculinity.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
To the OP: Good luck with the 'gentrification' of Texas, or anywhere else where 'men are men', happy, proud & perfectly secure in thier masculinity.

It's interesting that our "creepy" OP has not shown in this topic with their prejudiced, insulting self in any follow-up posts since the OP.

Obviously the OP was a trolling post.

Now we can discuss the psychological aspect of why people post trolling posts, and the sick thrills they get out of being made a laughing stock. Nobody with a brain would take the OP post seriously. -- That's what generated all the replies.

Maybe I missed it but I haven't seen one post yet that supports the OP or agrees with it.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:08 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That's an easy one to answer. (I took Psych too.)

It's harder to harm or kill somebody when you are up close. Physical distance is equivalent to psychological distance. When eye-to-eye you cannot avoid considering your victim as a person. Yet in a telescopic gun sight it's just another target.

By the same token, I bet it's easier to kill somebody with a scope-equipped rifle at 200 feet than by a knife to their neck or belly: physical and emotional distance.........
WELL, sort of.

I have a far better chance of hitting the target at 25 yards, moving or standing still in any aspect than I do at 200 yards. At the latter, best if they are standing still or walking to/from the shooter; that's how the Beltway sniper did it.

As it is, at 200 yards, my only requirement is to put rounds into the target and stop them, so killing them at range is really not a question.

But at 25 yards, the odds of putting them in the morgue, because of tactics, goes a lot higher.

So while the psychology may say one thing, the physics says another.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I have a far better chance of hitting the target at 25 yards, moving or standing still in any aspect than I do at 200 yards. At the latter, best if they are standing still or walking to/from the shooter; that's how the Beltway sniper did it.
I'm discussing psychology, not marksmanship.

Emotional distance is the key. It's much easier (I presume*) to kill somebody the greater the psychological distance.

* I have never knowingly killed anybody, although God help me there have sure been times I have wished that killing certain individuals could be considered as pest control rather than murder!

Some people are simply a waste of good oxygen.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'm discussing psychology, not marksmanship.

Emotional distance is the key. It's much easier (I presume*) to kill somebody the greater the psychological distance.

* I have never knowingly killed anybody, although God help me there have sure been times I have wished that killing certain individuals could be considered as pest control rather than murder!

Some people are simply a waste of good oxygen.
Assuming that professional pride does not "get in the way".

If I have to take someone out in hand to hand, that can be an element of professional pride for that is one of things I've been known as, a very no bars fighter.

When I was doing a laser simulation (late 80's technology) and I was point on a drug boat boarding simulation, professional pride was very much a part of it; USN Provost Marshal against USMC officers. No hesitation, don't miss. I had more energy focused on that than the possibility of "being killed".

I suppose when one has been trained to fight like that, up close and personal, a new definition of psychology comes into play.

People are often shocked at how intense my audacity is.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 AM

I'm a retired electronic engineer. If I wanted to kill you I'd electrocute you!

However I have no doubt that if somebody places me in a situation where one of us will die, I'll be the one working the shovel while the other will be practicing not breathing.

p.s. My marksmanship is up to the job, but I'd shoot only in self defense. Last thing I ever want to do is to kill somebody. I'd rather let God get the job done for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology