Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 11:39 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, I think you have realized what you really want from a counselor and that's good. I've had way more bad counselors than good ones. There is statistical info out there that says that most people who get into the social services types of jobs generally come from dysfunctional homes. So, you're asking advice from someone who doesn't really know how to do it any better than you, basically.

I don't know about the REASONS they get into counseling, but I have to say in my experience some psychologists/psychiatrists are some of the most dysfunctional people I know. A local psych group included a husband and wife and other professional partners and there were affairs within the group and outside the group, and eventually divorces. And some of the doctors were just plain weird people.

I know not all are like that, but this particular group was. They were a bunch of dysfunctional weirdos! I would not have sought counseling from anyone in that group of doctors.

But I know other psychologists/psychiatrists who are fine. Never been to one myself, but I work in healthcare so I see and hear things others don't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 01:17 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The OP appears to have abandoned the thread. Never returned to answer questions or respond to suggestions he give marriage counseling another try. I guess he didn't get the responses he wanted.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:10 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It was a reference to the classic TV sitcom "Seinfeld", that's become ingrained in the pop culture. That's where the fictitious holiday Festivus and its traditions came from. In the show, it was a dark-humored pushback against Christmas and Hanukkah.

I guess the lynch mob the OP was met with is a glaring evidence of groupthink. "Society" (notice the quotes) says that marriage counseling is a good thing. So any statements that it's not always good are met with torches and pitchforks.
Thanks - I'd heard of Festivus but didn't know it came from Seinfeld. (I may have watched half an episode at one time.) Hope Op can find the genuine posts throughout this thread - there's just a few.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
True Story : My husband (at the time) and I went to a Marriage Counselor. After listening to our tales of woe (mostly mine) ..the counselor said, "I don't see any hope for this marriage and I don't think I can help you." With that, (I silently agreed) and we were divorced within one year.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:05 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP appears to have abandoned the thread. Never returned to answer questions or respond to suggestions he give marriage counseling another try. I guess he didn't get the responses he wanted.
Well, truth be told, most people lynch mobbed him. While he wasn't completely in the right, I don't blame him for walking out on the thread. I know I got lynch mobbed too in other threads, for having contrarian views on LTR's. One thread was so horrible, I had to request it to be locked.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP has come back consistently. He posted here yesterday.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, truth be told, most people lynch mobbed him. While he wasn't completely in the right, I don't blame him for walking out on the thread. I know I got lynch mobbed too in other threads, for having contrarian views on LTR's. One thread was so horrible, I had to request it to be locked.
People generally aren't lynch-mobbing you. They get frustrated when you hijack threads and when you post on threads you know nothing about, without any apparent awareness of how inappropriate that is.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:09 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

Are you sure of that?

Old 05-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”

Are you sure of that?
No, I have a lot of doubts.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 PM

857 posts, read 959,396 times
Hi, OP here. I haven't been back to session #2, mainly because my wife does not demand it. If she did I would still go just to make her happy; but she didn't.

Maybe she also did not see how it was different to be talking to just each other at the counselor's office. It really is the same as when we talk to each other at home. We are both sane people and our escalation levels out at some point (typically with me giving in to her just to move on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology