Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 AM

59 posts, read 54,617 times

Advertisements

I think in many instances the question "Where Are You From?" is loaded. I have seen the way Western Europeans treat me before and after they get this "vital" information. As an Eastern European apparently I am not enough to be an equal to the French, Italians and the British (most xenophobes I've met were of those national identities). I have decided that instead of answering this question, I will lecture them that it is potentially offensive and should be avoided as it might be used for racial or cultural profiling. It is not politically correct and I get offended as I don't want to be put a label.

I am me, I am not some stereotype of a Macedonian/Eastern European. I am not a label.

I mean if I live, work, and pay taxes in my host country and call it my home, who cares where I was born and grew up? The past is irrelevant anyway. And who decides that 5 years in the Netherlands are less than more, but less eventful years in my home country? I met more people and did more things in those 5 years than in my whole life prior to that and I became very Westernized.

We are who we are not only due to our original countries, but also due to all the other countries we have been visited and lived in. Therefore, I no longer fully identify as "Macedonian", I am more of a 90% Macedonian and 10% Dutch, not by blood but culturally speaking.

Unlike some people I embrace the culture from my host countries and I think this is right. I think I no longer fully fit in the Balkans and their mentality (I never really fit there to be honest...). It is high time some liberals from the USA come to Europe and fix the faux-liberal European societies by teaching them that some things many people in them do are actually discriminatory in nature and promoting inequality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:25 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Just tell them you are from "A" street or the name of the neighborhood you live or work in.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:38 AM

59 posts, read 54,617 times
^Yes, I think this is a good cop-out actually. But many people really insist me to confirm it "So you were born here?" to which I say "No, in another town." and they ask the name etc. I really see it is all about the us vs them mentality and identifying me as one of "them" or "the other". No wonder we have more segregation problems in Europe than the USA. Even if one wants to become one with their new country and people, the locals tend to isolate "undesirable" (read "foreign") elements. I hope things change.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihailTheViking View Post
I think in many instances the question "Where Are You From?" is loaded. I have seen the way Western Europeans treat me before and after they get this "vital" information. As an Eastern European apparently I am not enough to be an equal to the French, Italians and the British (most xenophobes I've met were of those national identities). I have decided that instead of answering this question, I will lecture them that it is potentially offensive and should be avoided as it might be used for racial or cultural profiling. It is not politically correct and I get offended as I don't want to be put a label.

I am me, I am not some stereotype of a Macedonian/Eastern European. I am not a label.

I mean if I live, work, and pay taxes in my host country and call it my home, who cares where I was born and grew up? The past is irrelevant anyway. And who decides that 5 years in the Netherlands are less than more, but less eventful years in my home country? I met more people and did more things in those 5 years than in my whole life prior to that and I became very Westernized.

We are who we are not only due to our original countries, but also due to all the other countries we have been visited and lived in. Therefore, I no longer fully identify as "Macedonian", I am more of a 90% Macedonian and 10% Dutch, not by blood but culturally speaking.

Unlike some people I embrace the culture from my host countries and I think this is right. I think I no longer fully fit in the Balkans and their mentality (I never really fit there to be honest...). It is high time some liberals from the USA come to Europe and fix the faux-liberal European societies by teaching them that some things many people in them do are actually discriminatory in nature and promoting inequality.
Frankly, you will make it worse with this ^^ kind of defensive attitude.

Most people are just interested and trying to get to know you, not trying to deport you. So take advantage of the opportunity to build a bridge, not a wall and educate them in a friendly way instead of a combative way.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:55 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
As someone who was born in this country and whose parents have lived here over 50 years, I do find this an annoying and offensive question that is literally NEVER asked to any of my white colleagues (I know bc I asked them).

If they were asking everyone, I could chalk it up to wanting to get to know me. As it stands, it's them trying to figure out the brown.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM

32 posts, read 54,557 times
People are likely just trying to make conversation and show an interest in you. People are curious by nature, doesn't make it offensive, not everyone is out to get you

Old 07-23-2017, 09:09 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
A friend from Hawaii was very Japanese in appearance but even on his father's side he was third generation, his mother was definitely WASP. His father was military and when the family was stationed in the South he was challenged, "You're not from around here, are you, boy?"
He answered, "No sir, but I got here as quick as I could."
You can be resentful or just work with it.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:13 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Perhaps it is simple conversation and interest in your past life and how you came to where your life is now. Moving from Eastern EU to NL I can imagine that you are not going to hide that you're "not from here." The big question is what they do with your truthful reply. If they accept it and continue to be friends, then they were just curious about your past and there's no big deal. If upon hearing your response and then they shun you obviously they are xenophobic.

Personally I wouldn't want xenophobic friends. However I can't answer the question: what if everybody in your adopted culture is xenophobic?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Ah, the quit being offended by offensive things argument...how nice.

Actually, I am polite and do roll with it. Still offensive.

It automatically assumes I am different and not an American. When followed by, "Because your English is so good," it is nothing less than grating.

And saying that there is no offense meant behind it doesn't necessarily make it less hurtful. It's like when I was three years old and I walked over to a large lady, put my hand on her thigh, and asked her why her leg was so fat. There was no offense intended. Just an innocent child's friendly curiosity. I KNOW (based on her reaction) she was hurt.

I would think that a grown up would have more sense than a three year old child.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihailTheViking View Post

I always ask that question, but not to make a judgement, just as conversation and because I like to hear about other places and other people's experiences. I work with many people from the Philippines, and they will bring in food that's part of their culture for us to try and bring weird candies back that we've never had before, and it makes the workplace more fun. I work with patients from all around the world, Ireland to Nigeria, and I always ask "where is that accent from?" but again not so I can get a short cut to judging them, just as part of being friendly.

It kind of sounds like you're ashamed in some way of who you are and eager to prove you're not like your countrymen or something.

I'm Jewish, and even though I don't participate in any organized religion and am not religious at all, there are always going to be people who judge me when they see my last name on my I.D. badge but if they ask me if I'm Jewish I give them the benefit of the doubt they are just curious and not trying to be offensive. American culture is pretty open compared with others, so keep that in mind as you learn the customs and how people are in general. Personally, I find "why aren't you married yet?" a much more offensive question than "are you Jewish?"

I believe we find what we seek, and if we go around looking for potential reasons to be offended, that is exactly what we'll find.

If you said the above to me, I'd just think you were odd, unfriendly and thin-skinned and give you wide berth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology