Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 PM

914 posts, read 643,330 times

Advertisements

rudeness seems to be a regular thing here in Norther CAL. It happens on the highway, the grocery store, you just can't do anything right for these angry people. Here's an example. I have a new car with several levers and accidentally pressed one that shifted the car into manual mode. The car was locked into first gear and my car went from 70mph to 20mph. I immediately turned on the blinkers. I was glared at, honked at, flipped off, and fake-rammed by other drivers. I was shocked at their behavior. I was clearly in distress, trying to get over to the slow lane with my blinkers on. it was a nightmare! Ruth4Truth, consider yourself blessed if you've not had to deal with this. You may be able to stay safely at home all day, but the rest of us are trying to live in an uncaring culture as we go about our day-to-day business. I don't think it was fair to act like the OP was off the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 04:34 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I can tell you one thing, discussing politics makes people angry. People who need to take every opportunity to drag politics into a discussion either in real life or on the web are angry people. There is a time and place for it.
can't agree more, never ceases to amaze me, when you start a topic that has nothing to do with politics and yet, it never fails, someone always comes into the thread and blames the other party or president for whatever....good God, do they even realize, how ridiculous they sound?

Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 AM

1,257 posts, read 889,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
can't agree more, never ceases to amaze me, when you start a topic that has nothing to do with politics and yet, it never fails, someone always comes into the thread and blames the other party or president for whatever....good God, do they even realize, how ridiculous they sound?
They don't realize it. I think a huge source of America's anger problem is an overinflated sense of self importance combined with a complete lack of self awareness.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:00 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I think people that are angry a lot might have a skewed sense of fairness. Sometimes they are mad because someone else who they think should be mad isn't. Like if someone at work is rude to another co-worker they get angry because the co-worker didn't respond to the rudeness as they would. I actually find it funny to be mad for someone else. The other person may have their own set of mechanisms which help them cope without anger.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,210,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think people that are angry a lot might have a skewed sense of fairness. Sometimes they are mad because someone else who they think should be mad isn't. Like if someone at work is rude to another co-worker they get angry because the co-worker didn't respond to the rudeness as they would. I actually find it funny to be mad for someone else. The other person may have their own set of mechanisms which help them cope without anger.
This is a good point. I really wish people would stop telling others how they should feel about something whether in a societal sense or a personal sense. A lot of people who belong to a group for some reason tend to think that everyone in the same group feels the same way that they do about a certain issue and start appointing themselves the mouthpiece.

These days it seems that people feel you have to have a strong opinion about everything. There's some things that just aren't that important or serious.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:58 PM

1,257 posts, read 889,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This is a good point. I really wish people would stop telling others how they should feel about something whether in a societal sense or a personal sense. A lot of people who belong to a group for some reason tend to think that everyone in the same group feels the same way that they do about a certain issue and start appointing themselves the mouthpiece.

These days it seems that people feel you have to have a strong opinion about everything. There's some things that just aren't that important or serious.
Exactly. I think politics is one issue that has been blown way out of proportion. People spend so much time arguing about it, to the exclusion of other things in their lives. I can't focus on everything else in my life if I'm a raging, tyrannical monster.

JMO ... don't shoot me, peeps.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:37 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
For everyone here, can I ask what you're doing about it? I came back to the US kind-of recently after living in another country for over 10 years (not quite 20 but close), and I'm learning how to manage every day life surrounded by so many angry people.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:51 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
So many factors and I've lived a long time, going on 8 decades...born after great depression. Back then times were tough, but there were jobs and MOST worked one job. Keeping up with the tech world was not even a bleep on the radar. Then with jobs going away, so so much has changed. Glad I'm not out in that madness. Feel a sadness for my daughter and her children...so much stress.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
For everyone here, can I ask what you're doing about it? I came back to the US kind-of recently after living in another country for over 10 years (not quite 20 but close), and I'm learning how to manage every day life surrounded by so many angry people.
Where do you live, where you're surrounded by angry people? Maybe you just chose the wrong part of the US to come back to? The OP says that her area of the upper Midwest, where she moved from, is much mellower than Louisiana, where she currently lives. The West Coast generally, and parts of the Southwest are very pleasant. Would you be able to relocate?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-11-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,383 times
Did you ever notice how it's the angry people who win? We have the most angry customer right now. We are trying to be helpful, caring, hard-working above and beyond, and she is angry about every little thing real or imagined. She's one of those people who tends to sue everyone. Guess who is winning in all this? Not us! Costing us a lot of time energy and money just trying to satisfy the one who gripes, moans, is generally nasty over all. No one is coming to our assistance in this totally unfair situation. Who is winning? The angry woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology