Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:49 AM

369 posts, read 325,673 times

Advertisements

I think I may be at the other end of the spectrum.
I truly believe most of my self actualization and personal growth has occurred when I am totally alone in the wilds so to speak. It is there that your mind clears and can return to core values and get you back on track.
Surprisingly this is also where destiny, if there is such, incidentally creates long term friendships.
You have to remove all societal imbued fronts to reach the reality of what's important in your life. Very scarce in a social setting, too many agendas.
But, that's just me.
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:04 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
absolutely, I thrive without other people, its other people that **** me off-not being alone.
Yeh, some are lonely in a crowd, others find peace in perfect solitude .
Depends on each persons inner state of being. It doesnt respond to geography or social conditions.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:12 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
That said... There ARE certain things that just ARE more fun when shared, obviously. For instance, I can't really imagine taking myself to an amusement park and riding the rides and screaming and laughing uproariously ALONE. There are certain things I just don't do BECAUSE I'm alone. Still, one should be able to tolerate solitude without panicking.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:49 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If that is true, then why must it be a woman?
Absolutely the question I wanted to ask. Why a woman? Different experiences can be shared with friends. You said, a woman and family, that's all you need.
Why does it have to a woman? Sorry to say, but it sounds like a life sentence imprisonment for that woman, especially that you live in a small house with your parents. No sane woman would do that.

Forget about it. And I strongly advice not to wreck any mail-order bride, poor soul from another country's life either. She will run away from you too.

You have to put yourself in order, put your life in order first. When you'll have something to contribute to a relationship and would feel ok with who you are then you will find a woman. Until then, fat chance. The way you say this about needing a woman sounds like you need a spectator to your life. Soory but that's an imprisonment for any woman. My opinion

Last edited by XRiteMA98; 06-15-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 10:15 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
OP, I am a happy (mostly) introvert, so I cannot relate to the OP, but I just can't help but wonder why you have not formed any friendships (or at least friendly acquaintances with whom he can socialize and do things with). Do you have any personality quirk or disability that prevents people from wanting to be around you? You said you have had relationships before and were even married, so perhaps you can ask them or your siblings for their honest opinions. Just try to not be hurt by their answers! Also, did you ever discuss this possibility with your therapist? If so, what did he or she tell you?

Or do you think that people might just be turned off by the fact that you choose to let your elderly parents with you? (In all honesty, that would turn me off, as I always think there is some unpleasant baggage or drama associated with such a situation.)

You say that you have trouble connecting with people, so is it possible that you are, in fact, an introvert (or mostly introvert, as I am) and that you just need to accept that about yourself? Sure, even though I am mostly an introvert, I would not like it if I was entirely alone, but I am happy doing solo things 90% of the time, at least.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Speak for yourself (and the majority of others, admittedly).

Misanthropes unite.
LOL.

Why on earth would anyone be motivated to "unite" with people when they possess a deep-seated antipathy toward...wait for it...people?

A review of the literal definition of misanthropy may be in order.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
that old chestnut again, most people need others because they don't know any different. and they are afraid to be alone.
some of us have learned we don't need other people to be happy.
Orrrr...because they genuinely enjoy other people and thrive off interaction.

This isn't "needing other people in order to be happy." It's simply enjoying the presence of and interaction with others.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Misanthropes unite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
LOL.

Why on earth would anyone be motivated to "unite" with people when they possess a deep-seated antipathy toward...wait for it...people?

The T-shirt I've seen says,

"Misanthropes unite! Separately ... in your own homes."

That I can get on board with .

Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabularasa View Post
lol.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Volunteer, join hiking groups or whatever. Listen to drum n' bass.
OP, someone posted the above as the most obvious answer and you skipped over it.

There are a ton of social/athletic groups out there to join. Meetup dot com is great because you can sign up for as many groups as you like and you can go to meetups on your own schedule. There's no membership pressure. Go to one, skip the next 4, go back again in a few months. Whatever.

If you want to connect with someone, you have to do the WORK to meet people. It's that simple. Make a decision. Make a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology