Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Unfortunately I think this is where our judicial system (and I use that term very loosely) is headed. We are going to reach a point where the public determines your fate. It's actually very scary, because that's a society with no social order.
Lol, Nah, this will never happen. You're talking about anarchy and chaos at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm glad you posted this case.

This is absolutely predatory prosecution, IMHO.

He met her through her post on sugardaddy, (or whatever that was) and paid this 16 year old girl 500 bucks for sex.

She's a year below the age of consent.

There is not the first chance they would have bothered to go get him extradited from a foreign country to face charges, if they weren't trying to get rid of this guy in any way they could.

There are many cases of young teens being impregnated by men in their 20's, and nothing is ever done because it's low down in the noise.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:02 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I tend to think when a warrant is issued there is a judge to sign off on it. Thus the judge has read the cause /evidence to bring the person in for further exam.

Inso much as a person fleeing.. that doesn't automatically conclude guilt. Folks can flee when innocent to protect themselves from the public media/mob.

Some folks are groomed with the mindset of 'if it walks like a duck ..' it must be a duck. I tend to think that is a poor way to expand the mind. It limits the possiblilities.
Is it not true that truth is stranger then fiction ?.

This cody dude has some serious charges against him...it maybe in his interest to cooperate

Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I'm referring to Cody Wilson, the 3-D gun advocate.

Yes, he was accused of committing a sex crime with a minor.

But he hasn't been convicted yet in court. Evidences have to be gathered. There have to be testimonies, and all facts have to be considered. He did not confess. Yes, the fact that he was in Taiwan and stayed there after finding out he was a wanted man doesn't look good for him. But again, every one is entitled to due process.

Pedophilia is the worst crime to be accused of, even worse than murder itself. The supporters who think Cody is innocent and was framed, are called names like "they must be pedos themselves!" and all other sorts of put-downs.

I'm not saying Cody or anyone like him who is accused are guilty. I'm not saying he's innocent either. But why jump to conclusion without getting all the facts? Why assume just because it's in the news making the person look bad, he or she is guilty before convicted?
Well, some of the evidence has come out like he (Cody) was on a site called sugardaddy dot com and he exchanged nude photos with this girl which were found on her cell phone plus he was seen taking her into his hotel on camera as well as dropping her off afterward at Whataburger. So yeah, people can start to assume his guilt, however it is during the trial that his lawyers to defend against that evidence plus whatever other evidence they have that hasn't come out in the media.

Kavanaugh, you have two women with a claim of sexual battery who have no evidence backing it up. You have the first woman make a claim and she doesn't remember who had the party or when it was and everyone she names as being there has denied being at such a party. The second woman said she mulled it over several days and *thinks* it was Kavanaugh though it could very well have been someone else. This is hard for someone like Kavanaugh to defend against because, in the case of Ford, he doesn't have a time or place. These things are important because Kavanaugh graduated in 1983 so if it occurred sometime where he wasn't even in DC then her case is blown, but alas, she doesn't remember. With this other woman she claims only in the last few days after talking with her lawyer she remembers it was Kavanaugh. I won't assume anything other than the claims are sketchy at best.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I'm referring to Cody Wilson, the 3-D gun advocate.

Yes, he was accused of committing a sex crime with a minor.

But he hasn't been convicted yet in court. Evidences have to be gathered. There have to be testimonies, and all facts have to be considered. He did not confess. Yes, the fact that he was in Taiwan and stayed there after finding out he was a wanted man doesn't look good for him. But again, every one is entitled to due process.

Pedophilia is the worst crime to be accused of, even worse than murder itself. The supporters who think Cody is innocent and was framed, are called names like "they must be pedos themselves!" and all other sorts of put-downs.

I'm not saying Cody or anyone like him who is accused are guilty. I'm not saying he's innocent either. But why jump to conclusion without getting all the facts? Why assume just because it's in the news making the person look bad, he or she is guilty before convicted?
I don't know about this case. Not going to look it up. But from the comments here, it sounds like there's a specific accusation and evidence. That leads me to believe there's validity to it. But there needs to be a trial. The evidence needs to be examined. Give the guy his day in court.

Slander is often non-specific. It's whispered, not public. No dates, no person, no specific incidents. "Psssst. That guy is up to something. I know something about it, but I'm not allowed to say. It's kids and such. Keep your eyes open." People who slander don't make specific accusations, unless the accusations themselves are nebulous, and can't be easily disproven. A specific accusation gives the accused a right to face their accuser. That's the last thing a slanderer wants.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
I was unaware that was the case unless you are a republican

Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Wow, I had to look him up & a brief history of the charges ... the court of public opinion must be pulling some rank, because his extradition was barely legal.

A state (not federal) warrant for a 2nd degree felony, was issued on 19 September, which was 13 days after he had arrived in Taiwan (06 September). Taiwan, however, does not have a treaty that permits extradition to the US & even if it did; he would have to be wanted on a federal charge.

So to “make him illegal”, the US cancelled his passport but arrested him in Taiwan before he had even attempted to travel, stating he was in the country illegally. Despite that he had travelled there legally & had not tried to travel out of Taiwan.

Meanwhile, literally hundreds of kids are abducted & taken out of the US every year. Not only that but what about:

Denise Harvey? The 48 year old woman from Florida who was convicted in 2008 for 5 counts sexual assault on a minor, who happened to be a 16 year old boy on her son’s baseball team? She’s been CONVICTED... & sentenced to 30 years in prison but she fled to Canada in 2010 & was granted asylum. She is actually now eligible for Canadian citizenship & the US can’t do a thing about it. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...nada-1.2646061

Or Prakashanand Saraswati? The guru of an Austin Texas ashram who was convicted of 20 counts of indecency with a minor, sentenced to 14 years in prison in 2011 but fled to Mexico & from Mexico to India? https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/gu...ice/index.html

I mean ... ?? There must be more to this story.

Quote:
I mean ... ?? There must be more to this story.
Taiwan is notorious as a top destination for men taking "sex holidays". Pedophiles are making use of brothels for their underage conquests. It is illegal in Taiwan except for some "special zones".https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosti...ex_trafficking

Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Because it's normally not the kind of thing an innocent person is accused of.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day-ca...abuse_hysteria

This kind of thing happens because the people making the false accusations think they're right. I used to wonder if some part of it was underhanded or deliberate. I don't think so. WMD in Iraq is a good metaphor. The people who made the WMD case were not trying to fool anyone. They believed what they said. They knew stuff, that you didn't. They wanted to inform you. <Sigh> They were being helpful. They were good Samaritans. You might have misunderstood things, if they didn't guide you.

That's why people making false accusations are so convincing. They believe what they say. Their uncritical faith in themselves comes through.

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 09-24-2018 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-24-2018, 06:32 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In the court of public opinion, we are free to make up our minds as information becomes available. But with the namecalling you are mentioning, it's not so much a matter of them thinking he's innocent or guilty as much as it is them just calling the other side of the political issue names.
Sorry, but how exactly is child molestation (since you're responding to the "pedo" name-calling) a "political issue?" I sure hope ALL sides of the political spectrum are against that!

Old 09-24-2018, 09:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
In the court of public opinion, we are free to make up our minds as information becomes available. But with the namecalling you are mentioning, it's not so much a matter of them thinking he's innocent or guilty as much as it is them just calling the other side of the political issue names.
The problem is that many people pass judgement based simply on a headline and aren't bright enough, interested enough or informed enough to understand that simply being implicated is not the same as being convicted. Many rely on simple tweets to get their information and have no natural curiosity necessary to get further details and have little or no sense of skepticism.

Kind of like all the people who buy into conspiracy theories hook, line and sinker without questioning even the most far-fetched scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology