Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:37 PM

86 posts, read 62,575 times

Advertisements

One of my pet peeves is pulling into a parking spot at Costco, Walmart, grocery store, etc. and seeing a shopping cart sitting in part of the space. At Costco, people leave their carts all over the parking lot. They will pop the front wheels over the curb or just leave them in the space next to their car. All the while, the cart return is just yards away from their spot. On more than one occasion I have seen individuals leave their cart in the spot next to them and have approached them. I'll usually say "are you just going to leave the cart there?" One woman told me that a loose cart hit her cart once, so her revenge is to just leave her cart. I'll usually point out where the cart return is and offer to return it for them. "The cart return is right there, I'll return it for you if its too far away."

I consider these people lazy, but is there some other reason why they would just leave a cart in the space next to them when the cart return is just a short distance away? They are above such tasks? It seems inconsiderate to me. I was always raised to have common courtesy, as most people are, but this habit seems to go against that belief.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Because they don't want to walk the few extra yards. They're lazy and most of all, they don't care that it affects other people.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:47 PM

177 posts, read 130,432 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
One of my pet peeves is pulling into a parking spot at Costco, Walmart, grocery store, etc. and seeing a shopping cart sitting in part of the space. At Costco, people leave their carts all over the parking lot. They will pop the front wheels over the curb or just leave them in the space next to their car. All the while, the cart return is just yards away from their spot. On more than one occasion I have seen individuals leave their cart in the spot next to them and have approached them. I'll usually say "are you just going to leave the cart there?" One woman told me that a loose cart hit her cart once, so her revenge is to just leave her cart. I'll usually point out where the cart return is and offer to return it for them. "The cart return is right there, I'll return it for you if its too far away."

I consider these people lazy, but is there some other reason why they would just leave a cart in the space next to them when the cart return is just a short distance away? They are above such tasks? It seems inconsiderate to me. I was always raised to have common courtesy, as most people are, but this habit seems to go against that belief.
I totally agree. I am also a "cart returner" and the primary reason people do not return them even if the cart return is nearby is "laziness." And the fact that they too are "inconsiderate" also. This goes hand in hand. JMO

Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM

86 posts, read 62,575 times
I'll add one other thought. I shop at Aldi a lot. Aldi requires you to put a quarter into a slot in the cart to release the chain. When you return the cart and insert the end of the chain, the quarter pops out so you get it back. I never see a cart sitting in an Aldi parking lot, so apparently, the $0.25 is incentive enough not to be lazy or inconsiderate. Amazing.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Interesting that they'll walk the equivalent of three quarters of a mile through the aisles of the store with an ever-increasing loaded cart, but are too lazy to move an empty cart a few yards.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:28 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:

For starters, it's not really enough of an offense to lecture people on.

Tons of people do inconsiderate things, sometimes they are conscious of it, sometimes not. I've done tons of inconsiderate things, but I try and catch myself when I can.

I don't know where you live, but I know a lot of foreign born people don't really follow small rules like this. My girlfriend and her friends, and some other people I know. I just noticed that she doesn't do stuff like return carts and signal all the time when turning, etc, stuff like that. So I lecture her when I catch her.

I think in a lot of countries it's more of a free-for-all and that attitude manifests.

Interesting to see if anybody here will admit to doing this.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
To me, it's a character issue, kind of a mercenary attitude.

If you can't be bothered to do these kind of minor, common-courtesy tasks that show consideration for your fellow humans, you are not the kind of person who can be counted on in the moments of major need.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:13 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:

I usually give a cart ride for kids from my car until the cart return area. Two reasons- fun for us and out of respect for the cart pushing staff.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
It's laziness, being inconsiderate, and having a sense of entitlement that they are the customer and the establishment has people that are "paid to do that". It's also very wrong, carts are there for shopping convenience and are not supposed to be left in the middle of the lot or pathways.

The least they could do is take a few seconds to roll them back to the designated areas where the people "paid to do that" will roll them for you all the way back to the store.

But at least these people leave them on the property, there are people that regularly steal those carts. I see bottle collectors rummaging through trash all the time that just roll up their cart from Home Depot or Pathmark. Those carts are obviously stolen, I always wondered why the police just let them continue along with a $300-$400 cart they rolled off a lot.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:30 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Stores used to (and some still do) employ "bag boys" to bag groceries, offer to take the groceries to your car, and to return the carts. When that service was phased out, it doesn't mean that all customers decided to absorb the store's costs.

There should be no expectation by stores that customers are going to go out of their way to return carts - especially if the cart return is not close by, if the customer is ill, disabled, or has screaming small children to tend to (and would be remiss in leaving them in the car).

This problem has been mistakenly been allocated to customers, when it really is the problem of the store. If you don't like how the store is handling the problem, complain to them - tell them to hire more people to round up THEIR carts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology