Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 10:11 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times

Advertisements

I think they're all mostly wrong except #1, which is true in the context of sexual attraction.

#4 is especially wrong. I think whether someone is frugal or an impulse buyer is unrelated to sex. In my marriage, I'm the super-frugal one who goes to the store with a list and only buys what's on it. If my husband goes shopping, he comes home with 14 impulse purchases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2019, 11:15 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, that one is especially a crock. I hate to shop and rarely buy anything impulsively. My ex couldn't keep a dollar in his wallet for more than a day.
Yep my son in law is a dear but is hopeless with money.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:21 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
My response to your answers:

1. Ask boys vs. girls in grade school, what they like to read. Guys will hate reading books without pictures but they'll love the Guiness Book of World Records and Marvel Comics (because both have tons of graphics). Girls will prefer books without pictures. And because guys are more visual, they're drawn to video games. It's all the moving graphics that entices them. Girls care more about the plot line of the movies; Guys care more about the special effects and kung fu action scenes.
Not the guys I know! OP, men are not idiots. They're not simpletons incapable of being interested in anything not accompanied by comic-book illustrations. You're doing a tremendous disservice to your gender, and I can't allow that to go unchallenged. You are gender-bashing, which isn't allowed here. (See TOS).

Just because your circle of friends may be stuck in pre-adolescence doesn't mean that that's the norm for men. Boys in grade school tend to be a bit slower in learning to read, though that's not universally true, only statistically. Girls acquire verbal skills more quickly (including reading, so--language skills more broadly said) at that age, generally speaking. So what? That doesn't have any implications for adult individuals, because the skill levels even out in the teen years and college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester;
2. My mom would always tell me that girls wouldn't want to date a guy who wears cheap, baggy clothing (like me). If she is right, it seems like girls do in fact care about a guy's appearance. And why do guys lie about their height on dating apps if girls don't care at all about a guy's appearance?

Also, I truly doubt that most men (including me) would want a dishonest, maritally unfaithful, ill-tempered, lazy, spendthrift wife. Turns out, men care about character, they want honest, faithful, gentle, hardworking, frugal wives.
You're forgetting your original argument, which was that women care more about a guy's appearance than men do about women. To which I responded, that although they care somewhat (adding that YMMV depending on the woman), their main concern is about character, due to concerns about safety, basically. But character is also about finding a guy who will stick around to raise the children he fathers, as well, and in earlier eras--to provide for the family.

Sounds like your mom wanted to find an effective incentive to get you out of your baggy clothes into something more presentable.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:23 AM

44,370 posts, read 20,073,157 times
This thread has been cleaned up and reopened. People, please stay on topic. Off-topic and inappropriate comments have been deleted. Tread lightly.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2019 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2019, 01:58 PM

2,481 posts, read 1,554,963 times
This reminds me of that text, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:34 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
How true are the following differences between men and women?

1. Guys are more visual: Does this mean that guys like art and architecture more while girls like music more? Or that when watching movies, guys pay attention to the action and scenery while girls pay attention to the music and sound effects? Or that guys like graphic novels while girls are fine with reading Pride and Prejudice without any illustrations?

2. Girls are more selective than guys when choosing a date: Does this mean that girls are choosy about a guy’s appearance, while guys don’t care as much about a girl’s appearance? That’s certainly true for me--I never get why girls wear makeup, curl their hair. We guys are not very selective when choosing a date and really don’t care about your appearance.

3. Girls are more detail oriented: Does this mean that women are more likely to be perfectionistic than men? But if this was true, then women would make better surgeons than men--when in fact most surgeons are men.

4. Guys are more frugal and financially minded: Women will go into a store and come back with lots of impulse purchases while guys will go into the store and come back with only what they need. When buying a house, women will be a bit more impulsive, and buy it if it looks good, whereas guys are more cautious, thinking like an accountant, making spreadsheets and cost benefit analyses.
All four of these are generalizations and probably more of an effect of nurture than nature. The first two seem to contradict each other the way you describe it.

Guys are more visual is often applied to dating. And yet women being picky about a guy's appearance being applied as well could pose a problem because those two ideas clash.

The truth is that there are visual people that are men and visual people that are women. The other ones after the first two, again, it's down to the individual.

I'd say that there is hardly any truth to those when they are used as gender stereotypes. Way too many factors to look at.

Old 12-14-2019, 03:55 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
My response to your answers:

1. Ask boys vs. girls in grade school, what they like to read. Guys will hate reading books without pictures but they'll love the Guiness Book of World Records and Marvel Comics (because both have tons of graphics). Girls will prefer books without pictures. And because guys are more visual, they're drawn to video games. It's all the moving graphics that entices them. Girls care more about the plot line of the movies; Guys care more about the special effects and kung fu action scenes.

2. My mom would always tell me that girls wouldn't want to date a guy who wears cheap, baggy clothing (like me). If she is right, it seems like girls do in fact care about a guy's appearance. And why do guys lie about their height on dating apps if girls don't care at all about a guy's appearance?

Also, I truly doubt that most men (including me) would want a dishonest, maritally unfaithful, ill-tempered, lazy, spendthrift wife. Turns out, men care about character, they want honest, faithful, gentle, hardworking, frugal wives.

Okay, first off, those are boys and girls in school. From what I've heard, seen and observed, girls like pictures in their books as well. They are not reading just a bunch of words on pages. Again, this is what I have observed. This is news to me. With little kids watching movies, I have never seen (in school or anywhere) a grade school age girl for example, dissecting the plot of the film to pieces or analyzing the plotline. Then you have to factor in all the "nerds" (boys and girls). I mean, i wouldn't have come to that conclusion. For one thing, I haven't seen a girl get excited over Blade Runner.

And of course, boys and girls become adult men and women and their tastes would change a bit.

As to what your mom would say, I would put it this way, a man is more likely to have a better dating/love/sex life if he puts effort into himself. This includes wearing clothes that fit better. It is not necessary to break the bank for some clothes, but you do want to have quality in your wardrobe. I don't wear the most expensive clothes myself, but I had and have some items that will turn heads I tell you.

And who ever said that girls (women) do not care about a guy's appearance at all? Appearances are going to matter to both men and women to different extents depending on the individual.

I agree that most men would not a dishonest, unfaithful, ill-tempered and so on and so forth wife. I also agree most women don't want that same kind of husband.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:41 PM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think they're all mostly wrong except #1, which is true in the context of sexual attraction.

#4 is especially wrong. I think whether someone is frugal or an impulse buyer is unrelated to sex. In my marriage, I'm the super-frugal one who goes to the store with a list and only buys what's on it. If my husband goes shopping, he comes home with 14 impulse purchases.
Are we with the same man? At least today it was Prosecco, chocolate and zucchini for soup.

Old 12-14-2019, 05:10 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
How true are the following differences between men and women?

1. Guys are more visual: Does this mean that guys like art and architecture more while girls like music more? Or that when watching movies, guys pay attention to the action and scenery while girls pay attention to the music and sound effects? Or that guys like graphic novels while girls are fine with reading Pride and Prejudice without any illustrations?

Quite frankly, NO! I find that men miss many things in a movie, probably because they are only looking at the surface.
Quote:

2. Girls are more selective than guys when choosing a date: Does this mean that girls are choosy about a guy’s appearance, while guys don’t care as much about a girl’s appearance? That’s certainly true for me--I never get why girls wear makeup, curl their hair. We guys are not very selective when choosing a date and really don’t care about your appearance.
Again, NO. Women are much more precise when choosing a date. Everyone knows.....it's April 25th.

Quote:
3. Girls are more detail oriented: Does this mean that women are more likely to be perfectionistic than men? But if this was true, then women would make better surgeons than men--when in fact most surgeons are men.
Well, that goes back to what I say about #1
Quote:

4. Guys are more frugal and financially minded: Women will go into a store and come back with lots of impulse purchases while guys will go into the store and come back with only what they need. When buying a house, women will be a bit more impulsive, and buy it if it looks good, whereas guys are more cautious, thinking like an accountant, making spreadsheets and cost benefit analyses.
Uh-huh.....right. Send a man with a list to the grocery story and he will come back with things he thinks brackets the items on the list, that one of them must do the job, usually because he is too stubborn to ask directions on what he should get.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times
Even if all four of those instances listed were correct in some cases, they would be wrong in others. In other words, they are not dependable guides to behavior. I've always been very picky about my choice in women, but the fact that some of them have been interested in me, shoots down the claim that women are more demanding in their choice of men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology