Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:24 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times

Advertisements

How true are the following differences between men and women?

1. Guys are more visual: Does this mean that guys like art and architecture more while girls like music more? Or that when watching movies, guys pay attention to the action and scenery while girls pay attention to the music and sound effects? Or that guys like graphic novels while girls are fine with reading Pride and Prejudice without any illustrations?

2. Girls are more selective than guys when choosing a date: Does this mean that girls are choosy about a guy’s appearance, while guys don’t care as much about a girl’s appearance? That’s certainly true for me--I never get why girls wear makeup, curl their hair. We guys are not very selective when choosing a date and really don’t care about your appearance.

3. Girls are more detail oriented: Does this mean that women are more likely to be perfectionistic than men? But if this was true, then women would make better surgeons than men--when in fact most surgeons are men.

4. Guys are more frugal and financially minded: Women will go into a store and come back with lots of impulse purchases while guys will go into the store and come back with only what they need. When buying a house, women will be a bit more impulsive, and buy it if it looks good, whereas guys are more cautious, thinking like an accountant, making spreadsheets and cost benefit analyses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,790 posts, read 4,156,664 times
All true except #3

Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Nope.

Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

1. Guys are more visual: Does this mean that guys like art and architecture more while girls like music more? Or that when watching movies, guys pay attention to the action and scenery while girls pay attention to the music and sound effects? Or that guys like graphic novels while girls are fine with reading Pride and Prejudice without any illustrations?

2. Girls are more selective than guys when choosing a date: Does this mean that girls are choosy about a guy’s appearance, while guys don’t care as much about a girl’s appearance? That’s certainly true for me--I never get why girls wear makeup, curl their hair. We guys are not very selective when choosing a date and really don’t care about your appearance.

3. Girls are more detail oriented: Does this mean that women are more likely to be perfectionistic than men? But if this was true, then women would make better surgeons than men--when in fact most surgeons are men.

4. Guys are more frugal and financially minded: Women will go into a store and come back with lots of impulse purchases while guys will go into the store and come back with only what they need. When buying a house, women will be a bit more impulsive, and buy it if it looks good, whereas guys are more cautious, thinking like an accountant, making spreadsheets and cost benefit analyses.
1) True. Guys are definitely more visual, but, it's all about sex.

2) True. Men are less picky about who they have sex with.

3) Depends. In my experience the same man who leaves dirty pots and pans in the sink, will then go to the workshop and create the most intricate, perfectly balanced fly for fishing that it could be mounted at the Louvre. It's a matter of priorities.

4) False. It all depends on the store. A man will complain about a woman buying a new $100 blouse and then justify the need for a $1,000 tool. Take him to Target and he'll be really frugal. Take him to Home Depot and it's a different story.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post

Is this for real? I guess I have to assume it is.

1. Not true the way you framed it. The belief that guys are more visual applies to how they choose women or react to women, nothing much more than that. Women enjoy art and architecture (I definitely do, and I'm almost fanatical about certain types of music. I have a gf who's very artistic and very visual. She learned Chinee and Japanese scripts with no problem, due to her strong visual memory) as well as music. Women definitely appreciate the scenery in movies. What men do you know, who like graphic novels, lol! Do you seriously think men don't read great literature? OP, you're being ridiculous.

2. Wrong; guys care more about a woman's appearance than women care about a guy's. That's what the "men are more visual" thing is about. Women look more to a guy's character, though YMMV on that, depending on the woman. Of course, some guys are more interested in personality of the women they seek, than other guys are, too.

But yes, women are more selective, but it's not so much about appearance; it's about character. Since they're more vulnerable than men, they have to make sure the partner they choose is safe to be with, and trustworthy. I can't for the life of me understand why men in our society don't understand this. It's a no-brainer.

3. No, about the surgeons as an example. Most men are surgeons because women were prevented from becoming surgeons for a long time, and it's still an old boys' network. The male surgeons can be brutal and exclusionary toward the rare female colleague they may encounter.
But "women are more detail oriented" refers more to their ability to do fine, delicate work, like assemble tiny electronics circuitry, or do fine stitchery (though that's partly due to culture. Lots of women couldn't stitch or embroider something to save their lives).

4. OMG, you want impulse buying? Look at all the guys who go to the hardware store for a couple of tools and some bolts, and come back with a power mower to ride around the lawn in! Or a boat! Frugality vs. spendiness or impulse-buying is very individual, and isn't gender-specific. How many women have you ever even heard of, let alone--known personally, who had gambling habits that ran them into debt? It's mostly a guy thing.

OP. Most of your points are off mainly because of the way you interpret the key statements, not because the statements aren't true. You don't seem to have any idea of what's actually behind those observations or beliefs.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
No. I do think some women watch movies, and people, differently than some men do. But you can't categorize half the human population in such broad strokes as you have.

Why not get to know women of many ages and in many walks of life? Be open to befriending them and learning about their lives. That would be the best way to learn about women. Really, we are just as interesting and various as men are.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
OP: You can't take your individual experience and extrapolate it to the general population. There are so many nuances and variables that have nothing to do with physical sex.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
OP: You can't take your individual experience and extrapolate it to the general population. There are so many nuances and variables that have nothing to do with physical sex.
Add to that cultural conditioning within one country, let alone globally and differences based on belief systems , economics, geography and political circumstances.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Add to that cultural conditioning within one country, let alone globally and differences based on belief systems , economics, geography and political circumstances.
Yes. Many variables.

Old 12-14-2019, 12:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Who the heck came up with #4? Men love their toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology