Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 05:43 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I will have a box of extras like paper goods, antibacterial soap,

Soap is antibacterial. You don't need antibacterial soap and it can do more harm than good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Do you know the people? Is there a really good reason for one family to be buying four large packs of toilet paper at once when there isn't a shortage (just delivery logistics) and others might be in immediate need?
Again - you know the family, their circumstances and who they shop for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's not quite fair, either. I bought a larger package than I usually do, because it's what was in the store. Now I don't have to make that purchase again for months. That leaves all the stock that comes available in the next weeks and months for other people who need TP to purchase.
You took care of your needs. Had it been the last pack you would surely have left it for someone with an immediate need.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:54 PM

482 posts, read 902,441 times
All this panic buying reminds me of the gas shortage of the 70s. They rationed the gas, could only buy on odd or even days. When it was your "day" you would get in a mile long line for gas even though you had 3/4 of a tank left. We all fear not having enough.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:52 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
OP- you are right to post this in the psychology thread because your case seems a result of compulsion. I wonder if there's a genetic component as I remember your mom's hoarding of purses (or is it hats).

Anyway you've recognized you have a problem so that's the first step.

I hesitate to give you a reason to go to the store again but are you going to mail some stuff to your single mom friend in Montana? Dry stuff like pasta and oatmeal, foil packs of tuna if they have them. Things with a lot of nutrition for the weight. I know you can afford to mail a care package.

I went to Kroger this morning and while the selection of pasta was limited it was definitely available. Oatmeal in the small round boxes was gone but the instant packs were there.

Oh and they had a whole wall of TP. OK it was all Kroger brand but still.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
All this panic buying reminds me of the gas shortage of the 70s. They rationed the gas, could only buy on odd or even days. When it was your "day" you would get in a mile long line for gas even though you had 3/4 of a tank left. We all fear not having enough.

That was a shortage, this isn't.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:28 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never been a "prepper" of any kind. If there's a snowstorm or similar, I keep a few days extra food in the fridge. Beyond that, nothing more than what I'd regularly check out once at Sam's or Costco.

With coronavirus, I felt that I needed to go out and get things a few weeks ago. From everything I had read, it looked like things might get bad - quickly.

I began to stockpile extra food, cleaning supplies, and sanitizer three Saturdays ago. At that time, everything was available as normal.

By the next week, there was clearly some "stocking up" at Sam's and Walmart, but not a "run." Other than sanitizer, everything was available. This was two weeks ago today, on a Saturday. I bought a lot.

I went back to Sam's and Walmart the following Thursday. Sam's was mostly fine, but Walmart was picked over. I got a bit more.

I went to Costco two hours away Sunday. They were well-stocked. I bought more. I went to Kroger today and bought even more.

I'm a single guy in a townhouse in a small city unlikely to have major infection.

Before I knew it, I had 200 bottles of flavored water. A gallon of hand soap. Six gallons and a 24 pack more of plain water. 525 floss picks. Two gallons of hand soap. A 35 pack of green tea. Multiple cases of soft drinks - probably a hundred can-equivalents of Diet Coke, Diet Dew, and other soft drinks. A case of Diet Red Bell. 72 beers. Two half-gallons of OJ. Multiple containers of other fruit juices. Six bottles of wine. A big thing of Clif Bars from Sam's. A 45 pack of Apple Sauce. About thirty pounds of frozen meat, many, many servings of frozen veggies. 40 cans of veggies - probably another ten to fifteen cans of soup and tomatoes/okra/corn. That's just what I remember.

I just want to keep buying! I have more than I could reasonably need - if I burn my supplies to zero, we're really screwed. My parents have a second fridge, an upright freezer, and a chest freezer, and I keep wanting to buy and bring more supplies over there. With this virus, I'm in fear of commonly available items disappearing, and I want to hoard everything.

How many of your feel similarly?
I'm delirious from hunger right now, and tbh I'm having a really hard time staying civil to you right now.

Please, please stop this. Many people are going hungry because store shelves are being wiped out. Especially the vulnerable groups, such as the elderly.

You're afraid of commonly available items disappearing, but people like you are the only ones actually making that a reality.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:07 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,870,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yup! I was amazed to see the shelves bare of both dried and canned beans. I always buy both, but I eat a whole food plant based diet. I've never known anyone who also cooks with beans. I can't imagine what people are making with it! At first it was just garbanzo beans so I figured people were making hummus.

Do you think people will continue eating beans once this crisis is over?
I can't help but wonder how many people bought beans, rice, flour, etc., and don't know how to cook with them.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:46 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Yup! I was amazed to see the shelves bare of both dried and canned beans. I always buy both, but I eat a whole food plant based diet. I've never known anyone who also cooks with beans. I can't imagine what people are making with it! At first it was just garbanzo beans so I figured people were making hummus.

Do you think people will continue eating beans once this crisis is over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I can't help but wonder how many people bought beans, rice, flour, etc., and don't know how to cook with them.
Haha, I hope when this is over that people donate things they won't use to a food pantry.

I got navy beans for a bean soup. I haven't made that soup in a long time but decided it would be yummy with cornbread.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:26 PM

I actually know what to do with dried beans and I couldn't find any garbanzos for my chana masala. I finally did find some organic ones, and paid twice as much for them. Which reminds me, I have to go soak them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology