Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 01:18 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I agree that your buying is about anxiety. And it is reinforced by others' panicked behavior.

Just take a deep breath, or two. Buying more stuff does not ease your anxiety, or you would not feel the desire to buy more.

Use your brain on this, and not your emotions.

I know this is anxiety provoking. DH and I had to beat the bushes to find what I suspect was the last thermometer in our town a few days ago! I've given up on hand sanitizer and masks.

We are told that our supply chain is solid, and that we are not in danger of running out of food. Stay out of the stores for a couple of days, and try to get your anxiety levels down.
I went to Kroger yesterday, and while there was no toilet paper, most of the food had clearly been restocked. My freezer is completely full and I have a lot of canned supplies.

Now to start to eating through this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 10:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I went to Kroger yesterday, and while there was no toilet paper, most of the food had clearly been restocked. My freezer is completely full and I have a lot of canned supplies.

Now to start to eating through this stuff.
Yes. I think you like to eat out, no? Now you can learn to like your own cooking. This is a learning experience for everyone. We are all, literally, in this together.

What are you cooking today?

I am making spaghetti with meat sauce, and a salad. For lunch we are eating leftover beans.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:00 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
We'll survive that. And most paper products are made in the USA, so toilet paper, tissue, and paper towels will be back on the shelves soon. Even the most panicky people have a limit as to how much toilet paper they think they will need.

Relax. The bare supermarket shelves will be full again in short order. It's small businesses, not Kroger's, which need to worry.
That's not what stores are telling me. They're saying their warehouses are empty those items, and they won't be getting more until April sometime. There's a bottleneck between the paper mills producing the stuff, and shipping to warehouses; someone posted an article about it on one of these virus threads recently. The corporate grocery management can't just order more. It's strange.

Old 03-19-2020, 07:40 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Yes. I think you like to eat out, no? Now you can learn to like your own cooking. This is a learning experience for everyone. We are all, literally, in this together.

What are you cooking today?

I am making spaghetti with meat sauce, and a salad. For lunch we are eating leftover beans.
I have my "essentials" available - turkey burgers, some fresh meat, lunch meat, frozen veggies.

I've done relatively little cooking this week. I got mom's groceries and she made dinner two nights. I had some Thai curry chicken thighs from Aldi last night and went out St. Patty's.

I'm not a good cook. I feed myself, but it's often wasteful to cook for one. I don't want to eat the same thing for a few meals at a time.

Old 03-20-2020, 08:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
I have my "essentials" available - turkey burgers, some fresh meat, lunch meat, frozen veggies.

I've done relatively little cooking this week. I got mom's groceries and she made dinner two nights. I had some Thai curry chicken thighs from Aldi last night and went out St. Patty's.

I'm not a good cook. I feed myself, but it's often wasteful to cook for one. I don't want to eat the same thing for a few meals at a time.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cooking+f...f=nb_sb_noss_2

You know, cooking is a basic life skill. You could learn to make a few things. With the correct recipe, cooking for one need not be wasteful.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:33 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
I've never been a "prepper" of any kind. If there's a snowstorm or similar, I keep a few days extra food in the fridge. Beyond that, nothing more than what I'd regularly check out once at Sam's or Costco.

With coronavirus, I felt that I needed to go out and get things a few weeks ago. From everything I had read, it looked like things might get bad - quickly.

I began to stockpile extra food, cleaning supplies, and sanitizer three Saturdays ago. At that time, everything was available as normal.

By the next week, there was clearly some "stocking up" at Sam's and Walmart, but not a "run." Other than sanitizer, everything was available. This was two weeks ago today, on a Saturday. I bought a lot.

I went back to Sam's and Walmart the following Thursday. Sam's was mostly fine, but Walmart was picked over. I got a bit more.

I went to Costco two hours away Sunday. They were well-stocked. I bought more. I went to Kroger today and bought even more.

I'm a single guy in a townhouse in a small city unlikely to have major infection.

Before I knew it, I had 200 bottles of flavored water. A gallon of hand soap. Six gallons and a 24 pack more of plain water. 525 floss picks. Two gallons of hand soap. A 35 pack of green tea. Multiple cases of soft drinks - probably a hundred can-equivalents of Diet Coke, Diet Dew, and other soft drinks. A case of Diet Red Bell. 72 beers. Two half-gallons of OJ. Multiple containers of other fruit juices. Six bottles of wine. A big thing of Clif Bars from Sam's. A 45 pack of Apple Sauce. About thirty pounds of frozen meat, many, many servings of frozen veggies. 40 cans of veggies - probably another ten to fifteen cans of soup and tomatoes/okra/corn. That's just what I remember.

I just want to keep buying! I have more than I could reasonably need - if I burn my supplies to zero, we're really screwed. My parents have a second fridge, an upright freezer, and a chest freezer, and I keep wanting to buy and bring more supplies over there. With this virus, I'm in fear of commonly available items disappearing, and I want to hoard everything.

How many of your feel similarly?
Good grief if everyone shopped like you, the stores would be cleaned out a long time. We hear more and more about giving foodstuffs to those who don't have the funds and I've been doing that with my little stash that gets replenished now and then. And advising people NOT to be harders. I buy no sanitizer stuff for starters...As one person said on another group, this country is in a panic-demic....

Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Cooking+f...f=nb_sb_noss_2

You know, cooking is a basic life skill. You could learn to make a few things. With the correct recipe, cooking for one need not be wasteful.
I cook for one.
I threw together a fried rice in 10 minutes and have been eating it for 3 days now.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:10 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I cook for one.
I threw together a fried rice in 10 minutes and have been eating it for 3 days now.
And it's amazing how much we can do with beans and now they seem to be cleaned off the shelves as soon as stocked.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:27 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And it's amazing how much we can do with beans and now they seem to be cleaned off the shelves as soon as stocked.
I can't wait to make my navy bean soup & cornbread.
Home alone and no one to complain if I toot-toot all night LOL

Old 03-20-2020, 10:29 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
I'm a bit of an overshopper. In my mind.... It's best to be prepared in an event of any emergency. And plus, I hate shopping so rather get as much done in one trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology