Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:15 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,362,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I know people in their 70s doing this, so it’s not just young people. It is annoying as it’s just delaying the stay at home orders for the rest of us.
I've known people in their 80's disregarding the stay at home order having family members over for chit chat and even going out shopping themselves. They're just as stubborn as the young.

Although, they may still be quite healthy, the virus is more likely to kill them than if it happened to a younger person.

Today, there was a news story that a 107 year old woman beat the virus and recovering well. I thought that was amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 06:28 PM

35,094 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I've known people in their 80's disregarding the stay at home order having family members over for chit chat and even going out shopping themselves. They're just as stubborn as the young.

Although, they may still be quite healthy, the virus is more likely to kill them than if it happened to a younger person.

Today, there was a news story that a 107 year old woman beat the virus and recovering well. I thought that was amazing.
I think the likelihood is that most of the population is asymptomatic, very mildly sick or immune.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:27 PM

9,989 posts, read 5,691,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If they don't at least give us a realistic firm date to look forward to to so we can make a plan to get our lives back on track, a bit of civil disobedience here and there will be the least of their worries.
Well surprise surprise. 30 million people out of work, a stir-crazy population tired of being cooped up, a spark in Minneapolis to ignite the tinder, and away we go...

Old 06-01-2020, 10:14 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I think the likelihood is that most of the population is asymptomatic, very mildly sick or immune.
The results of antibody testing do not show that. I doubt we are close to herd immunity, especially since so many of us have been distancing.

Old 08-17-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
No, the idea is to slow the rate, not 'save people from exposure'. Most likely everyone will get this, at SOME point. The idea is to spread that out so that when someone does get it, eventually, they won't be getting it at the same time as their entire city/county/whatever. The point is to spread out the cases so that we aren't solely focused on COVID and there will also be available resources for the cancer patients etc.
Do you think it's a good idea for the country to all fall into the kind of healthcare crisis that the heaviest hit areas like NYC are seeing, all at roughly the same time? I cannot imagine the level of panic that might happen if suddenly the entire country is thrust into a scenario like that.
So have we finally flattened the curve yet, or do we have another 5 months of this nonsense to look forward to?

Old 08-23-2020, 05:39 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,484 times
Quote:
So have we finally flattened the curve yet, or do we have another 5 months of this nonsense to look forward to?
It depends on the politicians. They're looking for more reasons to keep us shuttered. Maybe they'll say the numbers will go up just to keep stuff closed and everyone miserable.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:58 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
I would imagine that since so many areas jumped the gun back in April and started acting like things were back to normal, and then had to go BACKWARDS, that perhaps they might want to make certain the curve is actually flat for a while before they give an all clear? Maybe we should wait at least long enough to see the result of students going back to school? Or do you want to keep repeating the cycle over again because of impatience?

Old 08-23-2020, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I would imagine that since so many areas jumped the gun back in April and started acting like things were back to normal, and then had to go BACKWARDS, that perhaps they might want to make certain the curve is actually flat for a while before they give an all clear? Maybe we should wait at least long enough to see the result of students going back to school? Or do you want to keep repeating the cycle over again because of impatience?
So are we flattening the curve, or hiding from it until it goes away completely?

Old 08-23-2020, 06:53 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
So are we flattening the curve, or hiding from it until it goes away completely?
A short term dip is not the same as flat.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:06 PM

23 posts, read 8,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71
It depends on the politicians. They're looking for more reasons to keep us shuttered. Maybe they'll say the numbers will go up just to keep stuff closed and everyone miserable.
Yup they have been doing this all along and its worked.... Most people are so scared its pathetic!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology