Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think You're A "Good" or "Bad" Person and Why?
I think I'm mostly a "good" person 55 72.37%
I think I'm mostly a "bad" person 4 5.26%
Other: Please describe in comments 17 22.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times

Advertisements

Thinking about this a lot due to quarantine - feeling caged is bringing up all kinds of issues in current time and making me question past behaviors. I'm old, so reviewing life - I find that I have been severely lacking by my own standards.

There are tests online you can take to see if you have "dark traits." Luckily, I don't seem to be a psychopath!

Do you think you're a "good" or "bad" person, and if you can categorize yourself in either of those ways, how do you substantiate your analysis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:18 AM

I voted "other."

I feel I'm mostly a good person, but I note I am also opportunistic, and can be manipulative to get my way.

I think the biggest reason for any "bad" things I have done has been being unaware at the time of what I was doing or the effect on others.

It's very painful to realize you have not done your best in every circumstance.

Old 02-11-2021, 03:25 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
I voted that I'm mostly a good person. I did some things early on in life that I'm not proud of, but from mid 20's on I think I've been a helpful, empathetic person. I'm a good neighbor to those around me, and during my working career I believe I was a positive influence to people I worked with and helped hundreds, if not thousands of kids to learn a craft (fishing). Since retirement, my wife and I walk everyday and pick up trash in my community. Certainly not perfect, but I feel good about my contributions to society.

Old 02-11-2021, 05:56 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
I would say I’m leaning towards bad but reside in the middle.

- Being considered a good person is not important to me. I consider it more important to be a consistent person and to live by the letter of my truth, even if it ain’t the friendliest.
- I don’t believe in forgiveness and I tend to be vindictive. If you do me wrong, I’m finished with you and if an easy opportunity exists for revenge without much cost to me, I will take it.
- People consider me an honest person who can be tactful. I won’t blow smoke up your backside to protect your feelings but I’ll give you my two cents blunt but not insultingly.
- I’m a very protective person of myself and friends.
- Standing up for myself means more to me than getting along.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:40 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,460,552 times
As long as Billy Mumy doesn't think I'm a bad man... For Twilight Zone fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxTMbIxEj-E

I have my moments. I don't intentionally engage in behavior with intent to make others lives miserable, but then again, I don't get to concerned about others who make poor choices and then have to endure the consequences of their own creation. I feel bad about those who are tragically hurt by the stupid behavior of others or simply bad luck.

I'm somewhere in the middle I surmise. The outward engagement with others is generally good until they do something that may impact me negatively, especially, when I perceive it as being intentional and with purpose.

Old 02-12-2021, 08:15 AM

332 posts, read 220,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I voted that I'm mostly a good person. I did some things early on in life that I'm not proud of, but from mid 20's on I think I've been a helpful, empathetic person. I'm a good neighbor to those around me, and during my working career I believe I was a positive influence to people I worked with and helped hundreds, if not thousands of kids to learn a craft (fishing). Since retirement, my wife and I walk everyday and pick up trash in my community. Certainly not perfect, but I feel good about my contributions to society.
So you are a good person if you pick up trash while walking. You have a high opinion of yourself. When you worked you were getting paid, that doesn't count. What volunteer work if any have you done since retirement?

Old 02-12-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
So you are a good person if you pick up trash while walking. You have a high opinion of yourself. When you worked you were getting paid, that doesn't count. What volunteer work if any have you done since retirement?
I don't know who you think you are to judge this guy - the thread and the poll are about self-analysis - not invitations to judge other people. I want to know what people think about themselves in regard to the question.

Are you a "bad" person? lol

Old 02-12-2021, 11:17 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,243,376 times
What a surprise, no one has voted they are a bad person, LOL

I voted "other." Like just about everyone, I've done some things in my life I'm not proud of, but nothing that would make me an overall bad person. We give something to charity every year, and I've volunteered for various causes over the years, but not enough for that aspect to define me.

But, much of my life has been fairly easy in the grand scheme of things. Had a safe home growing up, went to college, got a good paying job, never went hungry. But people who endure hardships are forced to make "bad" decisions sometimes depending on their circumstances in life, and I'm of the view that if my life wasn't so much easier in comparison, I could conceivably have made those same bad decisions too.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:26 AM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfullizhe View Post
Since retirement, let's see. Oh yes, I voluntarily respond to inane questions on C-D.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:29 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Most give far more value or devalue to the personality. As if that is the entirety of a humans existence.
We, humans, sure are a funny lot.

I'm a person with values. With behavior challenges. With physical flaws. With medical challenges. Unsure if the generic terminology, good or bad ( either /or) apply. So too with most living animals.

Subjective perspective.

Will say certain behaviors thru out ones life certainly can be an indicator of safe and trust worthy. Certain traits are valuable.

I think the saying ' to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology