Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 12:28 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,614,360 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else, but there's a strong possibility that this young woman is too unconventional for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 01:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man999 View Post
Normal ? Are you sure ? I repeat...in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery.
If that's too weird for you, then move on.

Teens do lots of goofy stuff. Doesn't mean they're worshipping the devil or something.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:43 PM

299 posts, read 225,032 times
I can understand the question. I grew up with a friend that viewed cemeteries as sacred ground and culturally only spiritual leaders visited burial areas (families would hold funerals at home before allowing the church to bury privately).

Other cultures like my own which is a blend of European/Caribbean look at cemeteries as places the living can intermingle with the past. For some the cemetery is a spiritual and religious place (hence why some churches won't bury someone outside their belief system). You go to reflect and find peace as you won't be bothered. Basically an outdoor silent church.

People that are part of the Gothic lifestyle do so as a way to draw connections and inspiration between life and death. It's mainly viewed as a rebellious phase that a lot of teenages go through; they usually have encountered death in their lives and it's a big thing that most kids don't even think about until they're a teen. It's a way for them to face their fears and take control of their life.

I wasn't goth but I liked going to the cemetery with my friends and siblings. We would walk around looking at the old headstones or listen to music. At least she wasn't one of the kind of kids that tipped headstones or such.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:50 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
I'm a cemetery buff. There is something so abidingly peaceful about a cemetery - especially an old, largely untended one, that draw me in. I have several friends who are also into cemeteries, and we've gone out together before or have texted each other pics of especially interesting tombstones.

If I'm on the road traveling by myself, I'll often pull off and eat my packed lunch in a quiet cemetery.

As long as she's not performing satanic rituals or destroying graves, I'd say she's got a lot of company.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,175,792 times
Quote:
Normal ? Are you sure ? I repeat...in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery.
It really is just teenage goth behavior. It's "normal" for that group of kids. Half the point of it is to appear "unconventional" (which is odd, when they all dress alike ) and annoy parents and very straight-laced people. It's harmless. Most outgrow it, though I have some younger friends in their 40s who are still into it, partly because of bands they play in that cater to that musical taste.

South Park had goth kid characters who all dressed alike in black, etc. https://southpark.fandom.com/wiki/Goth_Kids

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 10-08-2021 at 11:38 PM..

Old 10-09-2021, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
OP how old are you and how much experience have you had dating?

Old 10-09-2021, 07:58 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,196,866 times
I don't generally follow or quote Dr. Phil, but this time I think he got it right.

"“Something is normal if it does not interfere with healthy functioning and pursuit of goals,” Dr. Phil says. “Abnormal interferes with healthy functioning and pursuit of goals.”"

https://www.drphil.com/videos/how-to...oals.%E2%80%9D

Old 10-09-2021, 08:50 AM

6,868 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Normal behavior in a 15 year old would be...... abnormal.
One has to wonder why you are having a problem with this.

Old 10-09-2021, 08:50 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
Not everyone who visits cemeteries is unhealthy. Thomas Gray, well-known English poet wrote one of the best known English poems in one. "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard."

And when this subject comes up I am always reminded of John Neihardt, Poet Laureate of Nebraska, Black Elk Speaks, who got his inspiration by sitting in the churchyard. The locals thought he was twisted but he said it was the only place quiet enough to receive inspiration.

And we have our neighbors to the south in Mexico who pack family lunches and spend The Day of the Dead in their decorated cemeteries with their loved ones.

My next door neighbor and I take turns each year planning an outing to a different pioneer cemetery. We always learn a little new history, speculate about those who rest there and then have a bite of lunch before we come home again.

Goth kids, I dunno. They like to push the envelope but I suspect they are among the more sensitive of their peers and searching for a spot to fit in. The first "Goths" I'm aware of were all writers and poets - George Gordon, Lord Byron, Mary Shelley, Percy Byshe Shelley and company hiding away in a gloomy old castle in Switzerland during "The Year Without a Summer." Scaring each other witless with tales of death and the macabre.

My guess is that she's trying on a hat and if she finds one which suits her better she'll make a change.

Old 10-09-2021, 09:40 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times
Quote:
I was seeing a girl for a while, she seemed good to me at first, but I found out about some weird things she was doing. When she was 15 years old, she had company among them and her boyfriend, they listened to heavy metal music, they love tattoos and piercings, they always wore black clothes, and now the most bizarre thing ... in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery. I have heard and seen all kinds of madness and disease in my life, but never something like that. What do you people think? Do you know of similar cases? Can a mentally stable person do something like that ?
Short answer: probably no.

Longer answer, a series of questions and observations to make:
  • "Tell me about your family life, what role did your father play in your upbringing."
  • "interesting all the tattoos, odd to me when people draw all over themselves (women especially). Bumper stickers on a Lamborghini, huh? What is the driver behind the self-mutilation."
  • Beware the unhappy, unlucky, and those making a series of poor decisions in life.
  • Bi-polar, BPD are total relationship train wrecks...if applicable in this case.
  • We are the average of our five closest confidants; choose yours wisely.

OTOH, young people do exploratory things. I did dumb stuff like hang out drinking at the fish hatchery (theoretically trespassing) when in college, running around drunk to a limited extent, etc. Didn't cause any serious trouble, not my style then or now. Sometimes people veer into the criminal due to ignorance or life inexperience. Drinking and substances can be part of that as well; I don't take it all that seriously in young people. YMMV based on moral code and etc.

It dawned on me recently I was drawn to a BPD girl in my early 30s...because she was BPD an "exciting." Playing Captain Save-a-(garden implement). The juice isn't worth the squeeze, I did figure it out in a number of months but it can be a bumpy ride until that light bulb goes on over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology