Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 10:45 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man999 View Post
Normal ? Are you sure ? I repeat...in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery.
Unhealthy diets are very common among teens. She has likely expanded her diet to include more fruits and vegetables as well as fish and lean meat, or maybe she became vegetarian. Either way, that doesn't mean that people shouldn't eat fast food at all, but moderation is essential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2021, 11:58 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a cemetery buff. There is something so abidingly peaceful about a cemetery - especially an old, largely untended one, that draw me in. I have several friends who are also into cemeteries, and we've gone out together before or have texted each other pics of especially interesting tombstones.

If I'm on the road traveling by myself, I'll often pull off and eat my packed lunch in a quiet cemetery.

As long as she's not performing satanic rituals or destroying graves, I'd say she's got a lot of company.
I never thought the old cemeteries in the movies were real. Then I moved to Vermont and turned out that all those old and tilted skinny headstones were real! With dates back to the 1700s. What an eye-opener.

Grew up next to more modern cemetery in SoCal. My dad used to like to take us and visitors for walks and look at the markers. More boring because they were the flat ones. But it was calm and peaceful and he was pleased that nearby land would "never be developed".

Didn't like them at night though. That must be the Goth effect. I'd be more put off by lots of tattooing.

Old 10-10-2021, 06:01 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,628,150 times
I used to live across the street from a Cemetery and even though I was a bit creeped out at first it was one of the best places I've ever lived in. After a while I would forget it was there until every once in a while there would be teens hanging out there on weekend nights disturbing the peace!

Old 10-10-2021, 06:43 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

Did not know that. Very interesting!

To answer OP's question, that may sound weird based on my own sense of what is and isn't weird, but I wouldn't question somebody's mental health over this alone. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned with the mental health of those who have what I call and irrational fear of the resting places of the deceased.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:16 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,225,285 times
Quote:
I was seeing a girl for a while, she seemed good to me at first, but I found out about some weird things she was doing. When she was 15 years old, she had company among them and her boyfriend, they listened to heavy metal music, they love tattoos and piercings, they always wore black clothes, and now the most bizarre thing ... in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery. I have heard and seen all kinds of madness and disease in my life, but never something like that. What do you people think? Do you know of similar cases? Can a mentally stable person do something like that ?
No she's not mentally ill. Listening to heavy metal music doesn't make you mentally ill anymore than listening to country western pop rap classical or any other kind of music. Having tattoos and piercings doesn't mean you're mentally ill.

And the most innocuous of all wanting to eat pizza and burgers in a cemetery is not at all mentally ill. A cemetery is a peaceful quiet place where a lot of people don't want to go because they have some bizarre superstition.

I worked as a night watchman alone at a cemetery. I walked through mausoleums by myself in the dark turn off lights and lock doors. Nothing at all is a mysterious about a cemetery that's just where we bury dead people.

What you're describing is being part of a subculture. It may seem creepy and dark to you but it isn't. It's just preferences you have.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Normal ? Are you sure ? I repeat...in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery.
What's wrong with a picnic at night. Good for them for doing it in a place that won't disturb other people.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a cemetery buff. There is something so abidingly peaceful about a cemetery - especially an old, largely untended one, that draw me in. I have several friends who are also into cemeteries, and we've gone out together before or have texted each other pics of especially interesting tombstones.

If I'm on the road traveling by myself, I'll often pull off and eat my packed lunch in a quiet cemetery.

As long as she's not performing satanic rituals or destroying graves, I'd say she's got a lot of company.
People are creeped out by cemeteries. I actually used to work security at a cemetery. It was the most peaceful job I've ever had.

I had supervisors that would come out to make sure I was there they would pull up to the gate that wasn't locked and call me to come to the gate because they would not set foot past the gate.

I remember hearing about this cemetery before I went out there that it was haunted of course everything's haunted. People that worked there at night would get spooked and walk off the job and quit.

I rather enjoyed it it was kind of this little Oasis in the city it was big enough that if you were in the middle of it you wouldn't see the freeway or the high-rise buildings because of all the trees and you wouldn't hear the city sounds. And if you were quiet enough and set still enough you would see deer owls, even occasionally a wild pig. In the middle of the city.

One of the best ways to keep trespassers out of your property put a few gravestones on it.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:34 PM

880 posts, read 565,679 times
Quote:
I was seeing a girl for a while, she seemed good to me at first, but I found out about some weird things she was doing. When she was 15 years old, she had company among them and her boyfriend, they listened to heavy metal music, they love tattoos and piercings, they always wore black clothes, and now the most bizarre thing ... in the evening they went to eat burgers and pizza to the cemetery. I have heard and seen all kinds of madness and disease in my life, but never something like that. What do you people think? Do you know of similar cases? Can a mentally stable person do something like that ?

So... that is what we used to call a "goth" back in the mid 1990s when I was in high school.

Being respectful, pretty much everyone who fits in this category has some level of insecurity. The reactions and behavior in becoming a goth is the idea of "non-comformity." This of course is silly because they are literally conforming to a "goth" standard for which hundreds of thousands of kids all over the United States are also doing. Usually it can mean they have some mental baggage or maybe they're socially awkward.

As "goths" they find commonality in each other and "belonging."

Along with that "persona" though, goes along some other stuff... like... "The Crow" was a really popular movie, and anything to do with vampires, and all that other lore. It only takes one kid... sort of the "alpha" of the group to really get into this stuff and the other kids in the group just kind of follow along.

Goths can seem weird, and will probably be something they'll be a little embarrassed about as adults if they grow out of it, but as long as they don't actually do anything you can't come back from, then it's harmless. Kids do stupid **** growing up, some are just more outwardly weird than others.

At the end of the day, if the girl is super hot, what do you care? If you're thinking... maybe I want to marry this girl and have kids with her, then you should probably start having a discussion about where this weird behavior comes from... and if there's anything that needs to be worked out emotionally first.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:05 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,390,454 times
When you were younger you did weird things too. You were just exploring experiences.
Don't listen to rumors. I wonder what she is hearing about YOU.

What's it going to hurt if you get to know her. If you enjoy her company give her a chance.

Old 10-10-2021, 11:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Unhealthy diets are very common among teens. She has likely expanded her diet to include more fruits and vegetables as well as fish and lean meat, or maybe she became vegetarian. Either way, that doesn't mean that people shouldn't eat fast food at all, but moderation is essential.
Yeah, lots of people eat burgers and lots eat pizza but it is the odd one that eats burgers and pizza at the same meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology