Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 01:37 PM

6,975 posts, read 4,993,605 times

Advertisements

Look John, were are just acquaintances. We are not friends and we are not going to be friends. I do not care what you want. End of discussion.

See, easy. There's no reason to try to be friends. You don't need the aggravation and he's going to always be looking for an angle to get past your boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 02:03 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,718,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Look John, were are just acquaintances. We are not friends and we are not going to be friends. I do not care what you want. End of discussion.

See, easy. There's no reason to try to be friends. You don't need the aggravation and he's going to always be looking for an angle to get past your boundaries.
I tried to be acquaintances with him the last time. I just asked for completely no contact at all whatsoever now.

The hard part for me right now is if I should unfriend my mutual "friend" because not wanting to take sides in this context, while understandable cause he doesn't like conflict, is also very wimpy and uncaring. No action is a response as well, and it's a poor one. Thank God I have other people I can try to spend time with.

I don't feel mutual friend's a bad person and the physical part is nice, lol. But now he's dense for this situation. . .

Old 12-08-2021, 04:46 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,198,459 times
He obviously isn't satisfied with a platonic relationship, and his "inappropriate" touching is just him trying to coax you to take it another direction. You're asking for trouble if you try a FWB relationship with him - he is already too pushy to be able to keep the distance that kind of situation requires, and my bet he would just get more attached, making an even messier breakup.

Tell him you enjoyed getting to know him, but that you don't feel you two are a good fit, that you're not comfortable being friends, and only be as friendly as necessary if you run into him when visiting mutual friends. Otherwise, he'll take anything more as you being interested, or sending mixed signals.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
He obviously isn't satisfied with a platonic relationship, and his "inappropriate" touching is just him trying to coax you to take it another direction. You're asking for trouble if you try a FWB relationship with him - he is already too pushy to be able to keep the distance that kind of situation requires, and my bet he would just get more attached, making an even messier breakup.

Tell him you enjoyed getting to know him, but that you don't feel you two are a good fit, that you're not comfortable being friends, and only be as friendly as necessary if you run into him when visiting mutual friends. Otherwise, he'll take anything more as you being interested, or sending mixed signals.
Thank you for the thought.
Thankfully, I never had interest in even fwb with harasser. I am an fwb with mutual friend between me and harasser. With harasser, I'm constantly just pushing him away at this point because he just can't take "no" for an answer, and he's too self-absorbed to respect other people's physical boundaries.

I thought about the social circle that encompassed mutual friend between me and harasser. I felt that mutual friends' other more neutral friends are not warm or we don't clique. One of them, I formerly met outside of this social circle and he has treated me and even mutual friend like we are a step below him. So, I just stay away from him, but he still thinks nothing of it cause he gets physical pleasure, sigh.

I told mutual friend simply because of the situation, I won't be able to attend anymore of his personal gatherings and that we could only hang 1-1. He didn't ask questions and understood and was saddened by it.

I have another friend I get along with well, but I met him and bonded with him platonically before he was in mutual friend's circle. I still plan on playing interactive fiction games with him remotely and doing things with him in-person occasionally.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:55 AM

21,380 posts, read 8,006,325 times
How old are you?

Old 12-09-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
How old are you?
Why does my age matter?

Old 12-09-2021, 11:01 AM

35,403 posts, read 17,327,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
I think I will be trying to completely distance myself from him. If I have to meet him at mutual friend's gathering, I will say directly for him to stay away and not say anything even if I have to cut him off.
I agree with the first sentence. On the second one I would say "hello" without much further comment. Two of my ex's live in the village in which my wife and I reside. We are friendly with one of them and her husband. The other I am coolly distant but not actively unfriendly.

Old 12-09-2021, 11:04 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,992,220 times
You may be willing to be platonic friends but he is not. Cut off all ties. Block him. His actions may an attempt to change your mind, or they may be be an expression of resentment for your rejection. There's nothing here for either of you.
Quote:
A person I attempted to date at first, I lost interest in right away and we kept in touch trying to build something platonic. During this time of building friendship, he has been making inappropriate physical advances at this angle and that angle to the point where I told him not to touch me at all.

Even after telling him this, he keeps bringing stuff up from time to time.

He wrote an e-mail to me today detailing quotes about when I talked about what it would be like if we were fwbs. Problem is, we were never actually fwbs because he only wanted a commitment or something platonic.

We have a mutual friend who doesn't like to be involved in conflict. When I spoke with mutual friend about my side of things, he always "sees" both sides of things.

After browsing e-mail and talking with mutual friend about situation,

I think I will be trying to completely distance myself from him. If I have to meet him at mutual friend's gathering, I will say directly for him to stay away and not say anything even if I have to cut him off.

Last edited by bobspez; 12-09-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 12-10-2021, 07:23 AM

9,571 posts, read 5,364,684 times
Quote:
A person I attempted to date at first, I lost interest in right away and we kept in touch trying to build something platonic. During this time of building friendship, he has been making inappropriate physical advances at this angle and that angle to the point where I told him not to touch me at all.

Even after telling him this, he keeps bringing stuff up from time to time.

He wrote an e-mail to me today detailing quotes about when I talked about what it would be like if we were fwbs. Problem is, we were never actually fwbs because he only wanted a commitment or something platonic.

We have a mutual friend who doesn't like to be involved in conflict. When I spoke with mutual friend about my side of things, he always "sees" both sides of things.

After browsing e-mail and talking with mutual friend about situation,

If you want to distance yourself from him, be up front about it now, be honest, but not at a mutual friend's gathering. I would handle this before the gathering. If it's that bad, don't go to the gathering at all.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree with the first sentence. On the second one I would say "hello" without much further comment. Two of my ex's live in the village in which my wife and I reside. We are friendly with one of them and her husband. The other I am coolly distant but not actively unfriendly.
I was already at "the step" where I would only say "hi" to him at gatherings, but he still had opportunity to reach out. But I didn't actively stay friended to him on social media, and blocked him for 2 weeks for a break, then unblocked but didn't re-friend.

The stuff I described happened after "the step" of saying "hi" to him at a gathering. Since he wouldn't stop nagging about minute stuff after all that, that is why I chose to escalate further and just completely push away communication now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology