Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 03:24 PM

5,653 posts, read 3,139,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolEverything View Post
And many truly high-functioning autistic people distance themselves from the diagnosis.
I don't know if I can blame them.

On one hand, we're all told that mental illness/disability is nothing to be ashamed of, but a lot of people in this thread have proven otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 05:56 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
Have you noticed the fad of autism? It's particularly noticeable on FB - people are actually clamoring for a diagnosis.

In the old days, autism was a rare diagnosis and was indicated by someone extremely anti-social, non-verbal, with all kinds of other quirks and behavioral problems (many couldn't speak).

Now you can be extremely verbal/fluent/expressive, and have absolutely no outward appearance of being "different," yet you're given this diagnosis.
You can’t tell if they have those symptoms online. Most autistic people can express themselves well in written words, but still have a social disorder. There are all different ranges of autism, you can be extremely high functioning like Elon Musk but it doesn’t mean you don’t have the disorder. I don’t think it’s a trend, I think there are more and more people being diagnosed with it because it’s actually increasing. Furthermore, I think there are a lot of people who are on the spectrum but still did well in school and never were on the radar to get a diagnosis until recently. People who wondered what was wrong with them, and now they have an answer.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:57 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I don't know if I can blame them.

On one hand, we're all told that mental illness/disability is nothing to be ashamed of, but a lot of people in this thread have proven otherwise.
Autism is not a mental illness. But I understand what you mean.

Old 06-25-2022, 06:31 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I know quite a few people my age (60s) that I expect would be 'labeled' if they were children today.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:59 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I've seen quite a few people trying to get on disability with that diagnosis when it appears they'd be quite capable of holding down a job so, yeah, it's become a bit of a trend lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology